Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2020, 11:58 PM   #1

LED light strip mod

The lights over the table and couch in our 2020 Wolfpup 18TO are nicely bright, but kind of harsh because they're fairly small. We wanted something a little more subtle and relaxing. Spreading out the light over a longer space seemed like a good idea.

The Good Earth 12-foot color-selectable LED light strip at Lowes turned out to be a perfect fit for the 12-foot bump-out. It was about 3 inches shorter than the available space.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Good-Earth-...ote/1000493425
At about $45, it's more expensive than similar products on Amazon, but it seemed nicely sturdy and was very well-rated. I didn't want to risk getting an inferior foreign product and having a premature failure. This one may very well be made by the same companies, but at least I can work with Lowes for any problems I have.

In addition to nice even bright but dimmable light, we really like that it's completely selectable for color, and you can make the "white" any version of white you want: cool or warm or anything in between. Mornings are nice with an invigorating daylight cool white; before bed we like a warmer sunset color.

A lot of reviews noted that the strip's glue doesn't stick very well, and since I was installing it overhead, I knew it was going to need some help. So after sticking it up with the 3M tape already on the back of the strip, I also used a hot glue gun to run a thin bead of hot glue on either side of the strip. It's stayed attached perfectly.

At some point, I intend to figure out how to hardwire the light strip to the 12v system, so I can get rid of the unsightly power adapter. I should be able to connect it to the existing overhead fixture - but I'm not sure how to get a wire from the fixture over to the corner of the bump-out where the strip starts. I'm not keen on pulling down the ceiling, so suggestions are welcome. I'd be okay with routing a wire from somewhere else, around the outside of the bumpout frame up to that back corner where the controls are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wolfpup strip light.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	237899  
BrandonSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:45 PM   #2

I'd simply use a small rectangular cable tube in a color to match your ceiling. Just run it at an angle to your light fixture and you'll be good to go. Easy fix. It would be nice to hide the wire in the ceiling but the small cable tunnel is pretty discreet and easy to install.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/Legrand%...20White?NCNI-5

https://www.amazon.com/Legrand-Wirem...723086&sr=8-42
rolynstone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light