Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2019, 06:16 AM   #1

leveling using jacks

I am getting old and hurt my back during leveling/set-up the last three times we went out with our 264 Surveyor.

I recognize the scissors at both ends are for stabilizing the frame ends. The axles support the weight (along with the tongue jack) and transfer the weight to the frame. Boards/spacers are placed under the tires for leveling.

I am thinking of adding 10K capacity jacks to the frame right next to the fore and aft spring shackle brackets on both sides. Since the gvw is about 7500 pounds, a pair of 10K (each) jacks should be able to lift the appropriate side to level the trailer side to side with minor effort. As the tongue is raised/lowered for front/rear level, the front/rear side jacks would have minor adjustments to put similar load on the frame at the front and rear shackle bracket.
By placing the jacks next to the shackle brackets, the location of the main force on the frame is essentially unchanged.

The stabilizers would still be used to steady the ends of the frame.

Has anybody done this either successfully or not?
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffjeeptj View Post
I am getting old and hurt my back during leveling/set-up the last three times we went out with our 264 Surveyor.

I recognize the scissors at both ends are for stabilizing the frame ends. The axles support the weight (along with the tongue jack) and transfer the weight to the frame. Boards/spacers are placed under the tires for leveling.

I am thinking of adding 10K capacity jacks to the frame right next to the fore and aft spring shackle brackets on both sides. Since the gvw is about 7500 pounds, a pair of 10K (each) jacks should be able to lift the appropriate side to level the trailer side to side with minor effort. As the tongue is raised/lowered for front/rear level, the front/rear side jacks would have minor adjustments to put similar load on the frame at the front and rear shackle bracket.
By placing the jacks next to the shackle brackets, the location of the main force on the frame is essentially unchanged.

The stabilizers would still be used to steady the ends of the frame.

Has anybody done this either successfully or not?
I basically did the same on my permanent site 5er. With a little change up. I leveled and set up with the given stabilizers. Not having and type if jack to use to lift the weight off the springs, I let about 1/2 the air out of the tires. All rocking stopped. I would have done it your way if I had a good bottle jack. Getting the weight off the springs is the answer.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:50 PM   #3

They offer auto level kits to add to RV. I sure they are not cheap. But pushing and button and walking away is nice.
kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling