Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2017, 01:24 PM   #1

Lippert Control panel

Is it possible to have backup switches installed for the things that the control panel does? Slide, stabilizers, water heater/pump, etc. ?
dawnh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #2

Yes. At least on my unit. I do not know about the tablet control.
I can operate my slides from my battery compartment, I have an off/on switch for my water pump in my water bay at the outside shower and since that is "driver/street side" I can also turn on the outside light and the nose lights. My keychain remote will operate landing gear/stabilizers, slides and awning.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnh2 View Post
Is it possible to have backup switches installed for the things that the control panel does? Slide, stabilizers, water heater/pump, etc. ?
My Cedar Creek came with a remote control that will operate the slides, jacks, awning and outside lights.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:04 PM   #4

My Forest River Forester is in the shop for warranty work and I have asked for a quote on replacing the tablets with switches. Both panels died within the first 60 days and the phone app, while usable, is a pain in the, uh, neck.

If I get an answer, I'll post it here.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:24 AM   #5

Thank you. I’m anxious to hear what they say.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:02 PM   #6

I have already done this on a few lights that the panel controls for convenience when I am outside in the dark around back. All the wires now go to a Ethernet controlled relay panel that is separate from the push button panel (at least in my 2018 trailer). So it's not the panel you need to break out but the second panel mounted in a cabinet or wall near the panel. You will see something like 40 or 50 numbers printed around the perimeter of the box. Each number is a contact location or pin number for each wire. There is a pin out or legend printed on the cover that shows what each wire is used for and if it's 12+ or 12-(if needed). From here I simply tapped into the wire (tee), and ran a switched power to each line I wanted to switch separately. This seemed to work for the lights. I assume that it would be the same for any 12v controlled item. There aren't any smarts built in to the control panel so a (tee) switch should not harm anything unless a switch is calling forward on a motor and the panel is calling for reverse.

I wrote this on my phone so there might be a few run on sentences or misspelled words. Sorry.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:00 AM   #7

ChiBulls,
Thanks for the heads up on what to expect in the guts of the unit. If the dealer is unwilling or unable to make the change, I'll definitely be inside there myself.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #8

Thank you. That makes sense. An RV repair shop should probably know how to do that for me, right?
Old 12-03-2017, 09:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnh2 View Post
Thank you. That makes sense. An RV repair shop should probably know how to do that for me, right?
Well.... Some are dealers that scam others when needing service. Some are legit dealers with great service and are by the book and upstanding factory representatives. And then you may be able find a gem that will be able and willing to do custom work like this. If it's an independent repair facility, then they should be able to do that for you. I say talk to them, tell them what you want, how you want it to work and see what they say and how they will do it. Make them tell you their plan and understand it. (You'll need to know so you can perform any maintenance on it later). If they don't share with you how or what they do, don't use them. You want an honest service dept that wants to do what you want... Not what they want. [emoji1]

I do all my own customizing and know everything about my trailer and how to fix it if needed, but regardless of I do it or have someone else do it... I get it exactly the way I want and know what I have.

Good luck and happy camping!!
Old 12-03-2017, 09:47 PM   #10

The only thing I would say is if you do that, put a lock out key on the backup panel. If you would happen to command +12vdc to the motor from the original panel (awning out) and at the same time the back up panel/switch would command -12vdc (awning retract) on the same wire, this would obviously be a huge problem. All I am saying is with a back up panel of switches (for whatever reason you want it....) On things like DC brushed motors, you need to be careful to never use a forward command and reverse command at the same time, as it is as simple as reversing polarity on the same wire, which is a direct short if that would happen.

I did a sub panel outside for my electric dump valves I installed. I have switches inside and a set outside. I have also done exactly what you want to do with tapping into the 2018 rockwood electronic control panel to control a few lights with that panel and in a remote location. For instance the water hookup outside has a tiny illuminated switch to light up the water hookup area. So I used that to trigger the OSD light outside and can control the light from the panel or when I'm outside. (Which is fantastic as unusually remember I need that light on, after I have walked 40 feet outside in the dark, only to need to walk back inside to turn the light on). Ok, I'm done hijacking your thread topic! Onward!
Old 01-08-2018, 07:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbutts View Post
My Forest River Forester is in the shop for warranty work and I have asked for a quote on replacing the tablets with switches. Both panels died within the first 60 days and the phone app, while usable, is a pain in the, uh, neck.

If I get an answer, I'll post it here.
Hi there. Did you ever get a price to add the switches?
Old 01-08-2018, 08:38 PM   #12

dawnh2,

No, I haven't heard back yet. It's only been there since November 18th!

I had several more items on my list to address before the tablet replacement.

I have a feeling that they really aren't interested in doing an "upgrade" to switches, but I'll still post an update when I find out.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:32 PM   #13

i need a remote.
Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #14

won’t sell just a remote
Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote