Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2019, 07:30 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes79 View Post
Not sure if this is in the right location or not.

Just purchased a 2019 325 Wolfpack 13 toy hauler. Love pretty much everything except the pile of junk stairs that are starting to show in new campers. I’m referring to the solid step finger pinching pos.

I thought that I could learn to live with it, but after 3 weeks I want the stupid thing gone.

My camper storage location at my house makes the use of this step impossible as the pad isn’t much wider than the camper and it’s 8+ inches to the ground. Dropping the step has already dented the crap outta the trailer and slightly sprung the bottom hinge.

Toss in the mud and water now in the coach cause the DW forgot to clean the steps, in ability to get by the stairs while in the coach from the rear, pinched and cut fingers, plus the overall clunkyness of it makes me wonder why anybody would want this arcane pos on a toy hauler! I mean really what’s wrong with the plain Jane 3 step pull out? So what it wiggles? The whole RV does!

Just another example of a solution that has more problems than it solves.

Ok enough ranting, has anyone put in a set of pull out stairs on a coach that doesn’t have them originally?

Any suggestions?
I have a wolfpack " 25 Paqck 12 " toy hauler...and hated those steps so at midsummer last year we ( our Harley Ridin friends have same unit ) Had a set of " STEPABOVE " Rv steps put in at Kitchen entry only and we love em...Our friends did Kitchen aand Garage entry. The steps fold into doorway. I opted not to put them in garage entry because of spatial interference ( we carry two Harley Deluxes) My friend just carries a Electroglide with sidecar. Tommorrow I'll install black panel to fill removed stairway space ! These new stairs are adjustable and solid...my wife loves em !
juice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:30 PM   #42

We just put adjustable aluminum jackets under the frame of the fold out steel steps, makes them solid as the ones that go to the ground. Just make sure you remove the jacks before lowering the TT onto the trailer ball��
dalenelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #43

I replaced my 4 step fold out steps with the Glow Step Revolution Steps, what a difference Safe and Stable and only four bolts to remove to add the new steps. Yes these were taken with my iPhone and were correct when posted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0665.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	203522   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0668.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	203523  
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:02 PM   #44

Well I just purchased Morryed Steps for my 2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS because my DW wanted them. I'm okay with that because it sounded like she falls down every morning when she takes the dog out, I'm not sure if I need to get out of bed to check on her ...

I'll be installing them tomorrow so if anyone wants to buy the original 3 step fold out kind that I'll be removing let me know.

Send me a PM
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Rango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazman View Post
Can you give us some info on the 3 step folding unit from HF please? I couldn't find it on their website.
Thank you.
I misspoke. The one from HF is two steps. Item 67514. On sale it was about $19. The three-step stool was from Costco. Item 862787. It's aluminum and much lighter.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:46 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
LOL!! I'm right there with you! I really want those glowsteps, but the wife wants a 50amp EMS. I don't understand why, but I can bet who will win!!!
What the heck is an EMS?

I've been looking at a Grand Design fifth wheel to replace my very old Wildcat, and they won't void the warranty if you decide to take a 6 month road trip as long as you call them before departure.

After spending most of a day at a local RV show I quickly built a love/hate relationship with those non folding steps, especially when they're wet. And I've decided that if those steps come on my new 5er, they will be getting replaced very quickly, especially as the ramp I need for my dogs won't mount properly with those steps in place.
Lighting546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:31 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes79 View Post
Not sure if this is in the right location or not.

Just purchased a 2019 325 Wolfpack 13 toy hauler. Love pretty much everything except the pile of junk stairs that are starting to show in new campers. I’m referring to the solid step finger pinching pos.

I thought that I could learn to live with it, but after 3 weeks I want the stupid thing gone.

My camper storage location at my house makes the use of this step impossible as the pad isn’t much wider than the camper and it’s 8+ inches to the ground. Dropping the step has already dented the crap outta the trailer and slightly sprung the bottom hinge.

Toss in the mud and water now in the coach cause the DW forgot to clean the steps, in ability to get by the stairs while in the coach from the rear, pinched and cut fingers, plus the overall clunkyness of it makes me wonder why anybody would want this arcane pos on a toy hauler! I mean really what’s wrong with the plain Jane 3 step pull out? So what it wiggles? The whole RV does!

Just another example of a solution that has more problems than it solves.

Ok enough ranting, has anyone put in a set of pull out stairs on a coach that doesn’t have them originally?

Any suggestions?
Where do you live? I have the foldout stairs I am very willing to remove and sell cheap. I live in NC.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:35 AM   #48

Y'all do know that the feet on the step is adjustable in the case you are not on a level lot?

I didn't think I would like mine at first, now I love them!

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:44 AM   #49

We chose the glowsteps

So I knew that I wanted to replace the diving board steps that came with our TT. Our camping friends bought a year newer 2506s that came with the Mor-ryde gas-assist stairs. I liked the way they looked and worked. But after realizing the limited space on that side of our TT where we store it, I thought the glowstep revolution would be a better choice. We are very happy with them and the installation would have been literally a 15 minute job except the manual slide crank rod was right in the way.
The DW really likes them as the old steps were causing some knee pain.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:46 AM   #50

Wife loves ours. Don't have tight storage problem, so that's not an issue. They are solid, feet adjustable, carry small blocks of wood if ground is really bad. Never messed up my door....as I pay attention when lowering or raising the stairs, brush them off before I put away...no dirt. Neighbor liked them so much, he's adding them to their Montana 5ver. this spring.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:53 AM   #51

Step replacement

Not sure what steps you are replacing without a pic or more info. I just ditched my moryde stepaboves and put in under mount pull outs from e trailer. You need to also buy lippert mount flanges they call them outriggers. The new flanges slide over the I beam in the back and I secured them with self tappers. The front is the problem as there is a 40” gap between the welded on factory supports if it did not come with 24” pull outs. I didn’t buy my wolf pup to be unhappy or worry about the warrantee so I just lagged the front mounts into the wood frame. There are two holes in the front of each flange and each got lag bolts. The box the stair is in reaches the I beam and gets two brackets top and bottom attached to the beam. Be careful not to drill into the web of the beam and into the water tank! Easy? Nope. Elegant? Nope ideal? Nope, but I can get in and out of the pup without being annoyed. A 2” angle bracket spanning the 40” mounts did not allow the step to fold out. A 1” angle had too much flex. 1” box stock may be the next try. 1” angle slipped under the siding would work but would require recaulking and might still trap moisture against the wood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DF51C862-496D-4242-AFF5-69FA01E479A1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	203566   Click image for larger version

Name:	664F9C4E-E275-42B2-8F6D-722ACF3F7E84.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	203567  
Papadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:16 AM   #52

OP, if you want to sell them let me know.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighting546 View Post
What the heck is an EMS?
Electric Management System. Sort of like a heavy-duty surge suppressor. Makes sure the power coming into your rig is steady so you don't fry anything plugged in inside. There are apparently quite a few campgrounds with sketchy power supplies.

And now, back to Step Talk.
Midwesterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:08 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
OP, if you want to sell them let me know.
These steps certainly seem to be a love it or hate it ordeal with not much in between. After every post I think of the Monty Python Spam skit.

"Dear, don't cause a fuss. I'll have your Spam. I love it!".
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:40 PM   #55

I know I'm a little late on this post, but wanted to pass on my experience with the new style solid steps vs the older pull-out style steps. At the time we went to order our 2018 CC 36CK2, they were being produced with the new style solid stairs that after you open the door and released them you would let down. The DW tried to put them up and down, but was unable to do that. Also we thought about when the unit would be in storage or when we needed to stop at a rest area where we would want to access to the inside and possibly not have enough space to let the new style down. One stipulation was the unit had to have the pull-out style steps. Haven't been disappointed with that decision. Like the stability of the new ones but we weighed the options and elected for the pull-outs. Everyone has to decide which style they think will serve them best. CC at the last time I looked at their options now include an option to get the pull-out style at no additional cost.
Side note - if we ever decide to stay at a site for a couple of months or more, we might add the new style steps on as after market where when we want to move on to the next destination could remove them and stow them in the bay thus using the original steps for the reason we wanted them.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:41 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Wife loves ours. Don't have tight storage problem, so that's not an issue. They are solid, feet adjustable, carry small blocks of wood if ground is really bad. Never messed up my door....as I pay attention when lowering or raising the stairs, brush them off before I put away...no dirt. Neighbor liked them so much, he's adding them to their Montana 5ver. this spring.
x2 .... we are new campers and lucky to be able to store/park next to house in 45' long 12' wide concrete fenced area ... added 30'long 30"wide walk way for better access to doorway... steps are great for us and can see where tight areas would not be good for the fold down steps .... I carry 36" 2x6 for the legs if needed ... they have at least 12 holes for height adjustment and the pups love them ... So much to consider when you get one of these and we are still adjusting and making changes to improve the experience (we are almost done I think or maybe out of $$ ) .... Best of luck to everyone making the change ....
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:59 PM   #57

We like our fold out steps, good friends like the new steps. Buy what you like. Would the new steps keep me from buying the camper I want, yes. Different people like different stuff, so what else is new.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:59 AM   #58

Is the steps you are referring to

https://www.dyersonline.com/lippert-...yABEgLcufD_BwE

If so I love these things, so much easier then pulling out steps from under the doors.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:46 AM   #59

We like the sturdy aspect of the stairs, but given the inability to get in the trailer because of our winter storage location is a pain. Would be nice to be able to get in during the off months for cleaning/maintenance reasons. Making them easier to remove because of this would be nice. Also, I am adding protective padding pieces of rubber tubing or styrofoam to the back portion of the stairs to prevent them from scratching/denting body. I now kick leveling pads under the feet of the stairs when opening up to stop the stairs from dropping at too much of an angle causing the top of side rails to contact the rv body before adjusting leg extensions which is also a pain.
RCPatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #60
Canadian Member

My new 5er has the MORryde StepAbove steps with the gas strut. I bought it having read all the complaints about them. I have plenty of room where I store my 5er. The only concern I have is putting them away when its wet out. They do need to be wiped down or at least swept off before putting them inside.

I can say that if my new 5er had come with the old style fold-out steel steps, I probably would have negotiated with the dealer to replace them with the Torklift steps. It's one of the very few compromises I made for this trailer. (You have to compromise something with every floorplan.) After our first trip, I'm not regretting the compromise.

For those who have a unit with the MORryde or Lippert steps from the factory and no cut-out below the door, you might be interested to know that I did contact Torklift by email at one point and the person I spoke to said they may be working on a solution for that if you want to switch to their GlowStep Revolution steps. He was rather coy about their plans but did hint that they are looking into it. If you're interested in being able to do that, try emailing them to see what they say. Personally, if it voided the Lippert frame warranty to have the GlowSteps, I wouldn't be willing to do it.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote