Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2020, 06:15 PM   #1

Loft Door

Hi Folks,

We have a small log home - it's a the main floor cabin with an enclosed loft. It was marketed as a Swiss Chalet.

"Here is the deal". The wife has to sleep with the window open behind the bed. No big deal but the cold travels through and down stairs and the main floor is cold by morning. Upstairs is warm. She growls at me that there is a construction problem. Nope, all is good. Heat rises, cold sinks. That's why the main floor is cold. I know that because when she was travelling and not here, just closing the damn upstairs window solved the issue in the morning.

So the solution is to enclose the upstairs. I want to do a sliding barn door type of separation closing off the loft. The house is about 90% home made from the mill, etc. I'd like to use an oak closet rod or hand rail but I can't fathom where to find the rollers that would fit a rod over the doorway. Any ideas?
JRHill02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:20 PM   #2

ive seen plenty of sliding barn doors and the hardware for them. none of them included a closet rod. I cant vision what you are trying to do. We have a curtain on a rod over are basement stairs to stop some air transfer when the wood stove is on.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:24 PM   #3

Loft Door

You anywhere near a Menards. Or you can just order one....

Hard to tell from ad but at least this uses a rod as a track - something like this what you are wanting??

https://www.menards.com/main/hardwar...9416416109.htm

There’s a link to the installation pdf but it doesn’t help much with dimensions....
Old 01-21-2020, 05:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip10 View Post
Hard to tell from ad but at least this uses a rod as a track - something like this what you are wanting??

https://www.menards.com/main/hardwar...9416416109.htm.
Thank you. This is exactly what I want but instead of rails, I wanted it to run on rounds.

BTW, this morning she was complaining how cold it was downstairs. Yup, the friggin window was open all night. I can't believe it. She's a scientist but can't fathom cold air flowing down from the loft can wipe out a whole evening of heating. I actually like beating my head on pines as they aren't as hard as the firs. But I love her dearly.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:25 PM   #5

So after pondering here is the direction:

I can't find the rollers for a round wood rail that would support the sliding door for something like a closet rod or handrail. But I can find all kinds of narrower cable pulleys of a smaller diameter that would support the door. So instead of a wood rail I will go to a 1.5" x .25 length of cold rolled flat. I can clean it and "gun blue" it. It will look good too.

BTW, It has been an extraordinarily warm winter. We have only gone through half of our wood pile for heat. 5" of snow vs. 48-96" beforehand. We're gritting our teeth for next dry season.

Tags
door, loft