Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #1

Longer hose between trailer and BBQ

I've seen some guys run a 10-15 foot hose from the regular BBQ connection on the trailer to the BBQ on a picnic table. I just phoned our local BBQ store and said that the BBQ will not run as well due to loss of pressure.

Anyone doing this?

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
daydreaming about camping

having a little trouble believing that. My propane tank is in front of my trailer. my water heater is in rear. My trailer is 38 ft, plus the length on the tongue for the bottle and turns, means my hose to the water heater is around 42-45 feet. It runs fine.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doering View Post
I've seen some guys run a 10-15 foot hose from the regular BBQ connection on the trailer to the BBQ on a picnic table. I just phoned our local BBQ store and said that the BBQ will not run as well due to loss of pressure.

Anyone doing this?

A friend had an extension installed running about 20' and he notices a difference in pressure to his bbq.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
having a little trouble believing that. My propane tank is in front of my trailer. my water heater is in rear. My trailer is 38 ft, plus the length on the tongue for the bottle and turns, means my hose to the water heater is around 42-45 feet. It runs fine.
That's 40 ft of iron pipe, not the small diameter flexible hose. Maybe that is the difference?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
That's 40 ft of iron pipe, not the small diameter flexible hose. Maybe that is the difference?
negative, it is all flexible hose on my trailer. T at the furnace and then to the water heater.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
Denver, CO

Wow, mine is all iron pipe. Wonder why the difference.

I wonder if the regulator is a little higher pressure or something. I know the regulator on a turkey burner is higher flow than a BBQ, so maybe that is a possibility?
Old 05-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #7

This is what I use to connect my Coleman grill to my propane tank. I did not get it at Amazon.

Amazon.com: Marshall Gas Controls 538-00 Extend-A-Flow Plus LP Gas Line Tap Kit: Automotive
grege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
Grape Escape

Pick up a natural gas BBQ hose at any Home Depot. No problem running my BBQ In fact I have 2 hoses to run my 40,000 btu campfire. Alls well.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Pick up a natural gas BBQ hose at any Home Depot. No problem running my BBQ In fact I have 2 hoses to run my 40,000 btu campfire. Alls well.
I was under the impression that the end fittings were different for natural gas.
I will check Home Depot!

Old 05-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #10

I ordered a quick connect for portable grill from sams and 12' hose from BBQ Pits by Tejas | Barbecue Pit Smoker | Barbecue Grill | Houston Texas tradition of wood smokers that the longest they told me would work for low pressure lp. It works fine
CincyED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #11

I know this is going to sound crazy. About 7 yrs ago next week we were on our 2nd camping trip with our 1st 5ver and went to Galveston SP below Houston. Kept having problems with the constant Gulf Breeze effecting my grill so I had to do some modifying. The longest propane line I could find was 12ft which was not long enough. Opted to buy a 50ft.bright orange air hose(then about 20bucks at HD) which is good up to 250psi. so I was able to set up under the shelter supplied at each site Hooked to propane Kwik Konnects w/valves and have been using them ever since. Check for leaks periodically and all is well. Tied into gas lines on 5ver after the regulator so all I have is low pressure which is all I need for the 3 KK I use. One for fire pit, one for grill and one just because I had ordered 3. Have only use 2 at a time and no problems. I did however remove the low pressure regulator from each appliance including my WeberQ200. Steve
sdagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdagro View Post
I know this is going to sound crazy. About 7 yrs ago next week we were on our 2nd camping trip with our 1st 5ver and went to Galveston SP below Houston. Kept having problems with the constant Gulf Breeze effecting my grill so I had to do some modifying. The longest propane line I could find was 12ft which was not long enough. Opted to buy a 50ft.bright orange air hose(then about 20bucks at HD) which is good up to 250psi. so I was able to set up under the shelter supplied at each site Hooked to propane Kwik Konnects w/valves and have been using them ever since. Check for leaks periodically and all is well. Tied into gas lines on 5ver after the regulator so all I have is low pressure which is all I need for the 3 KK I use. One for fire pit, one for grill and one just because I had ordered 3. Have only use 2 at a time and no problems. I did however remove the low pressure regulator from each appliance including my WeberQ200. Steve
If it works and meets your needs, then perfect. Been to HD to get a natural gas hose, but the quick connect ends were larger than the trailer size. So still looking (obviously no rush).

Old 05-31-2013, 10:05 PM   #13
Anacortesians

When we got our Weber Q220 (a 70th birthday present) I looked into hooking up to the motor-home LP system, both on the high pressure side, still using the Weber's regulator and on the low-pressure side, using the motor-home's regulator to run the BBQ.

I was not comfortable having 20 feet or so of flex hose carrying the full cylinder pressure from the RV's tank. I found a number of posts on various news groups suggesting that the motor-home's regulator wasn't sensitive enough to handle the flow rate of the BBQ running by itself. One poster said that on the lowest setting, he couldn't get the BBQ below 600 degrees!

I decided to go with a portable propane bottle. I go a 10-pound "squatty" which has the same base ring as the normal BBQ 20-pounder. I got a Camping World "base stabilizer ring" and bolted it down to a stow-bin floor. The "squatty" fits in there really snug and I run a bungee through the handle to an eye-bolt on the forward wall of the bin.

I don't fill the bottle beyond about half full, so it's not to difficult for an old fart like me to get it in and out. I like that i'm not confined to a specific distance from the side of the motor-home to where I set up the BBQ.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #14
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdagro View Post
I have done the same thing; 50ft of bright orange. I continue to watch to see if there are any issues using propane in an air line but for 5 yrs no problems. I also replaced all the quick conects at the same time, from camper forward, very easy very cheap.
Do what you feel comfortable with
John
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #15

I went down to my local propane wholesaler and he has the ability to custom build any length of hose with any end fitting I wanted. You might check one of these guys out.

I was able to get an extension that I can tighten by hand, doesn't require any wrenches - very useful.
Cummings Onan 5500 generator
Hitch - Husky 26K slider
Winegard SK 3005 dish
UT Cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #16

You shouldn't have any pressure loss issues when your regulator is at the grill itself. The pressure in the hose from the propane vaporizing in the tank should be well above the utilization pressure of the grill. If the hose is kinked at all or is hooked up to a large btu load it won't work as well as it should.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
Old Enough to Know Better

Just as a bit of FYI. Any appliance that uses disposable torch/lantern bottles is a high pressure unit meaning the regulator/control valve etc that the tank screws into reduces the pressure from tank pressure to 1,2,or 3 psi whatever the unit was designed to work with. A normal system either a house or RV uses either two regulator or in the case of our RV's a "twin" stage regulator to reduce tank pressure to 11" water column (approx 6.35oz ) So any unit noramlly requiring a disposable bottle will have to be connected between the tank and the existing RV regulator or they will not burn correctly. Any conventional gas grill or appliance that runs off of a 20# cylinder could be connected in after the RV regulator.
Also using non approved hoses while the may work are not safe. Do so at your own risk
Hope this helps
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote