Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #1

Lowering a Bunk

We have a Rockwood 8312SS. My Kiddo that sleeps in the upper bunk (the one in the slide) is complaining there isn't enough head room anymore. I'm thinking of lowering the placement of the upper bunk by about a 12"-18". We have the flip over cushions below the bunk - not an actual sofa. Headroom below isn't a concern for us since the bunk will get flipped up when using the cushions below.

I have a few questions / concerns...

1. Has anyone done this or at least attempted it?
2.Is there enough support behind the walls or is the support only in the original placement area?
3. What other things should I be aware of with this mod?

Any input would be appreciated.
JDORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #2

Hard to know until you take the bunk apart. If you remover the mattress, you may be able to remove the plywood top cover of the platform. Then you can see how/where it is attached. I'm going to guess that the frame is screwed to the upright studs in the wall (aluminum outer walls, wood interior walls). You can use a stud finder device to see if the vertical stud runs from the floor to the ceiling. I suspect this is the case, and if so you should be able to just unscrew and move the entire platform to a lower height and reinstall.

Good luck.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:21 PM   #3

remove bunk

We had a similar situation with my son. Soon after we bought our 5er he said that he couldn't sleep in the bunk because it was to short. I removed the bunk completely. I then made a shelf with cabinets on each side of the window. I removed the couch that was under the bunk and this made for a pretty spacious room. I then made a bed that folds in half. This way it can be opened in the other direction. It also has a large drawer for storage. All I have to do is fold it in half to put the slide in. My wife loves the extra storage and my son loves to sleep in his new, long bed.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:39 PM   #4

Same TT... lowered ours to just top of couch (we have the sofa with air mattress) the entire bunk is held in on three side with about 12-15 screws.

Remove mattress. Then remove the series of screws holding the hinge on one side. the bunk frame will then be loose.

Unscrew the 3/4" x 3/4" ledger strips that the fold down bunk rests on. Reinstall at desired height. The only trick is to cut the corner trim out (on like a 45 degree angle in one corner) reinstall the cut out piece above the bunk when done... careful, there is a pair of 12V wires in there to power the ceiling light.

I am about to remove and sell the sofa this season to lower the bunk further... DD had same complaint... PM if you need pictures or further info

2021 Cedar Creek 37MBH
2020 F350 Powerstroke Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk