Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2015, 02:50 PM   #1

LP gas adapter hose

I purchased a LP adapter hose so I can use the rv tank instead of the 1lb cans. The pressure provided through the hose is not enough to run the stove. When I asked the dealer where I bought the hose they said the regulator on the tanks did not provide the same pressure as the 1lb cans, but it will work with the gas stove we sell. That really seemed like an "I have no idea so I'll make something up" answer. The hose was sold to use in replacement of the 1lb can, not just to use with their stove. Any ideas on what I could look for? Thanks
younggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:53 PM   #2

Is there a regulator with the stove? If yes, then remove that regulator and see if that works.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:16 PM   #3

It works for me, there is no regulator off my tanks but I attach the other end to the grills provided regulator that would normally be attached to the small canister. Works great
rblack22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:13 PM   #4

rblack22, you are picking up your gas before the RV regulator. younggeezer, sounds like you are picking up gas after RV regulator.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:17 PM   #5

Correct, I connect the hose directly to a tank and then the other end to the grill regulator
rblack22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:40 PM   #6
Site Team

The small 1lb tanks have similar pressure to the larger tanks on your RV. If you have the proper connection, you can connect the tank end to your large tank and use it. The propane system in your RV after the regulator is all low pressure and will not operate your stove. There are stoves made for the low pressure side ( no regulator) but they tend to be more expensive than the stoves designed to be connected to the 1lb tanks. You can also get small 5 lb tanks if you use the stove in a location that is not near the RV.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:03 AM   #7

I'm not sure where the gas line ties into the tanks. The stove end of the hose does hook into the regulator in place of the 1lb can. The other end hooks to a quick connect on the factory gas line piped up to come out in front of the axles. I assumed the gas pressure would have been sufficient to run the stove since the dealer role me that's what it was designed for.
younggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:16 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You cannot hook up to the low pressure quick connect line on your RV and run a high pressure appliance. You can either modify your stove for low pressure use or run a high pressure line off one of your tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:18 AM   #9
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by younggeezer View Post
I'm not sure where the gas line ties into the tanks. The stove end of the hose does hook into the regulator in place of the 1lb can. The other end hooks to a quick connect on the factory gas line piped up to come out in front of the axles. I assumed the gas pressure would have been sufficient to run the stove since the dealer role me that's what it was designed for.
Your current stove has a regulator. You will have to remove the regulator on a grille or stove to use the quick-connect on your camper. The camper quick connect is usually used with a non-regulated grille such as the sidekick that is an option on some forest river makes. Or some models like my sabre have an unregulated 2 burner stove.

Heres a pick of a sidekick and the second pic shows a sidekick with a quick-connect regulator for the little bottles.(just to show that a regulator has to be on a grille using the little bottles)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1450588680675.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	96468   Click image for larger version

Name:	1450588693223.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	96469  
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:06 PM   #10

The camper provides LOW pressure only as there is already a regulator (regulator = high to low pressure conversion valve) inline where the 20# or 30# tanks hook to the camper.

Your stove that uses 1# tanks requires high pressure at that connection, then probably has a regulator inline with that fitting to reduce the high pressure to low pressure that feeds the stove.

If you hook from your low pressure camper outlet to the stove that has a regulator, you then have two regulators and that will not work.

On my stove I had to cut the regulator (eliminating it) off the metal line and cut the end of the hose that would connect to the stove. I then pushed the hose onto the metal line from the stove and clamped it with two small hose clamps. When not using the stove just release from the camper connection and store stove with attached hose together.

I hope this makes sense to you.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:54 PM   #11

I use a 5 pound tank with the adapter hose. Very convenient and works great.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #12
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

As others have said, your grill has a regulator and your RV has a regulator. Two regulators equals not enough grill pressure. You'll need to remove the grill's regulator and replace with a quick connect. You can put a quick connect on the removed grill regulator and keep it around for when you want to actually use the 1lb cans (like carrying it down to the beach for instance). Here's a nice youtube that kind of lays it all out for you.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:57 PM   #13

I have had a regulator go bad on the grill attached to a 20LB gas bottle, replaced the regulator and everything was find. The regulator I replaced was located on the grill and the other end of the gas line was attached directly to the gas bottle.
Rockwood 2503s
debandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Is there a regulator with the stove? If yes, then remove that regulator and see if that works.
There has to be if it is running off a 1 pound canister. Sounds like the hose on the trailer is off the main tank regulator supplying low pressure. You can't run the stove off of two regulators. If you remove the one off the stove it will work fine. The reason the dealers stove works fine is because it doesn't have a regulator on it. Either they bought a stove with out it or they removed it.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:43 PM   #15

Many grills combine the regulator with the flame level control in one unit that screws on the bottle. These must run at tank pressure to work.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by younggeezer View Post
I purchased a LP adapter hose so I can use the rv tank instead of the 1lb cans. The pressure provided through the hose is not enough to run the stove. When I asked the dealer where I bought the hose they said the regulator on the tanks did not provide the same pressure as the 1lb cans, but it will work with the gas stove we sell. That really seemed like an "I have no idea so I'll make something up" answer. The hose was sold to use in replacement of the 1lb can, not just to use with their stove. Any ideas on what I could look for? Thanks
Can you see where the hose you are hooking up to? By this I mean can you see where it is connected to on your trailer? If your hose connects, usually by a "T", to the same gas line as your stove or hot water heater it is a low pressure line. Those lines come from the regulator off of your main gas tanks. It is possible but not very likely it could go all the way back to the tank and connect before the regulator in which case it would be a high pressure line.

If it is a low pressure line you need to remove any regulator from any device you hook to that line. You can not run to regulators back to back, it drops the pressure too low.

I had a grill I wanted to use on my 5er. My dealer was going to run me a high pressure line and I told him not to bother. Instead he gave me a 20 pound bottle I can use for my grill, 2 burner Colman stove or lantern. I have a tree I can put on the bottle and actually use all 3 if I want. Easier to get a 20 pounder filled or replaced and never puts a drain on my main bottles.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #17
Happy Camper

Ditto the above concerning low pressure can not be regulated again at the attached grill.
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:39 PM   #18

I bought one of those extend a stay and it came with a connection and hose to use for a grill. etc. Nice setup. Everything before coach regulator.

Tags
gas