Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2021, 09:07 PM   #1

making my dead space usable

we have a 23ft forest river micro lite and I love it but need every inch of storage.above bed are 2 cabinets with 18x10" dead space in the middle.One thought was to cut out the thin board and just add a tension rod and curtain.Any other ideas.It is so hard to utilize that space as is.Thank you
Trish1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:59 AM   #2

If your trailer is newer and the cabinet color still being used, you might see if the dealer can get you a door to match and fit as well as hinges and a pull. That will help keep what’s behind it in place while on the road.

The over the bead cabinet in ours has a door in the middle, when it opens is really accessible from one side of the bed. One of my winter projects is to change it so it hinges from the top then will get a prop from Amazon to keep it up while getting things in/out
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:14 PM   #3

that's a great idea.I didn't know I could get a top hinge door.I thought it would have to swip out.
Trish1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish1750 View Post
that's a great idea.I didn't know I could get a top hinge door.I thought it would have to swip out.
On another brand trailer I was able to purchase through my dealer some replacement doors (so they matched) on a few mods did. They always included the hinges and pulls (to match) but those weren’t installed on the doors.

This is what I’m about to order from Amazon to change mine to
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2124CC30-FF7B-4B14-B83B-CAB56A816686.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	264937  
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:56 PM   #5

I took out 5 of these panels carefully in my Wolf Pup. Kept them to replace at trade in time. The sales person said to leave them out for better access like under the benches. If the new owners want to seal them up, they could. Beats taking the seat covers off all the time. I have some containers that slip in and out easy.

For the upper cabinets, we found some plastic containers at the Dollar store that fit in the new open spots and they stay there when traveling. FR could have done better at some of the access here and there.
Trewblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:02 AM   #6

Storage mods

I had the same problem, doors over the bed met in the middle and that made it hard to access from the floor in any direction. The outer panels were barely accessible from the bed. Similar circumstances over the sofa, just inconvenient to access anything behind the panels.
I ordered doors and hardware from Forest River, through my local Camping World, and punched out all the panels and replaced them with the new doors.
Over the sofa the doors fit well, over the bed, I had to make allowances. I flipped the two middle doors so that they didn't open from the middle. I found that the new doors wouldn't fit, and open from the side so I had to trim a little off the length and even then they are hinged at the bottom. Tight fit but it makes all areas of the storage accessible by its own door.
Door and hardware were less than $100 if I remember correctly. Did get the wrong doors for the over bed storage, I received slab doors, no panel, but they replaced them at no charge. Probably wouldn't be so lucky these days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	585 - Copy.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	264967   Click image for larger version

Name:	583 - Copy.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	264968  
hthavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish1750 View Post
we have a 23ft forest river micro lite and I love it but need every inch of storage.above bed are 2 cabinets with 18x10" dead space in the middle.One thought was to cut out the thin board and just add a tension rod and curtain.Any other ideas.It is so hard to utilize that space as is.Thank you
I'm considering the same thing in my MicroLite to have access under the sink and counters. I don't necessarily want to use it for storage (too much stuff) but I want to be able to access when necessary. Interesting thought to use a curtain.
MRTull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:53 AM   #8

I removed assorted, decorative panels to reveal a ton of cubbies and cavities to store stuff. They are held on with staples, just carefully push them inwards to break the bond.