Old 08-15-2020, 05:12 PM   #1

Mattress toppers

Just picked up a used Wildwood hybrid as we are upgrading from a pop-up. However the mattress are less than desirable. What have you done to improve the sleeping condition?

Thanks!!
Wdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:06 AM   #2

We bought a MyPillow mattress topper. Bed is very comfortable now. No more stiff backs and much better sleeping .
Mike Tav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:56 AM   #3

We tried a decent topper on our 2608BS and it helped a little but not much. Gave up and put in our spare select comfort air adjustable bed instead. Shoulda done it the first day we got the trailer. LOL... SO much better... but to be fair we both have back issues...
Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:37 AM   #4

My first mod on my current TT was to add a topper. I bought a 4 inch memory foam topper at Walmart and have to say I've been happy with it from the beginning. I seem to sleep better on this than the mattress at home.

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2020: Still Not Enough
MaineCampingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tav View Post
We bought a MyPillow mattress topper. Bed is very comfortable now. No more stiff backs and much better sleeping .
We are not pleased with the mattress that came with our new RV. It's too soft and we were contemplating getting a MyPillow topper as well. The deal is, that thing is like $325 for a king mattress and I'd hate to spend that kind of dough and it still be soft.

That said, does the MyPillow add firmness? We bought a $75 foam mattress topper from Target and it has help but still a long ways off from a perfect nights sleep.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:20 AM   #6

We started with a piece of memory foam(over the existing lumpy pallet), but, there is a MyPillow mattress topper in the works. We bought one for our home mattress, and are very happy with it.
Our most recent trip, was our first since buying the MyPillow topper for the house. My wife and I both agreed after the first night on the road, we needed one for the trailer too.

I asked my wife, and unless there has been a change, it comes in the one firmness. My wife prefers a really firm mattress.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by katkt View Post
I asked my wife, and unless there has been a change, it comes in the one firmness. My wife prefers a really firm mattress.
So to confirm....the MyPillow adds firmness...correct?

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2020, 10:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
So to confirm....the MyPillow adds firmness...correct?

Thanks!

Most definitely. It's not quite a board, but it's certainly firmer than my wife could get with one of the sleep number type mattresses, inflated to as firm as she could get it.
The first night or two after we bought it for the house, I was wondering if maybe she'd gone too far. I have gotten use to it, to where I thought the memory foam on the factory mattress in the trailer was way to soft now.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:49 AM   #9

Like "Maine camping fan" we found that Walmart had a good 4" topper (residential) but in last TT the bed was camper-queen length so I replaced lower halve of hinged plywood foundation with a longer piece of plywood as there was just enough room to extend foundation so that won't work well in many RV's.
The serta inner spring mattress for hide-a-bed replacement also was same size as rv mattress.
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:29 PM   #10

For a lot less money, instead of buying an over rated My Pillow topper, you can go to Costco or Costco online, and purchase a just as good or better, Novaform or other topper. Better yet, instead of adding extra height to your bed, just buy a Zinus 8 or 10 inch memory foam mattress from Amazon. Many RVers have commented on how good it is. After one trip in my RV, and sleeping on the supplied mattress, I tossed it, read the rave reviews and bought the 8 inch Zinus, truck cab and RV mattress. I did not want the mattress to be too high to have to scoot up on it, so I got the 8 inch one. Nice comfort, and don’t have to worry about a slipping topper, or getting extra deep fitted sheets. Zinus was less expensive than the ridiculously over priced My Pillow topper which is no better than Costco toppers.
Stratoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:32 PM   #11

Here is a link to Zinus mattress on Amazon. Comes in different heights. Very comfortable.
https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Deluxe-.../dp/B00JRHI05Y
Old 08-21-2020, 01:35 PM   #12

Sorry, another thought on the Zinus mattress. There other other size Zinus mattresses on Amazon, not just they Queen size. Just use the search on Amazon for Zinus mattresses.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:03 PM   #13
3boxerss

I have a zinus green tea 4 inch topper I got from Sams club
3boxerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:52 PM   #14

Best Price Mattress 4" Memory Foam Mattress Topper, RV, Camper, Travel Trailer, Motorhome, Short Queen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MEF3MOU..._gY2SjJtIkWxhW
Old 08-24-2020, 07:00 PM   #15

Im not sure if the brand but we also found a 4 topper to be the sweet spot. 3 was not quite enough and taller just made it too soft. Its amazing how much difference a decent mattress topper can make. We got the one with the cooling gel stuff in it.
KFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:54 PM   #16

I am having issues finding a topper for the RV King 72X80. Lots of these toppers have King but not RV King and they seem to have a cover on them so we can 't cut them. Any RV King users out there that have a topper they recommend?
deew424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:18 PM   #17

I must have got lucky with ours. When we picked up our trailer, I told the wife we would probably need a topper. She talked me into waiting until after our first trip. The factory mattress in our camper is better to sleep on than my $6k POS Temperpedic we have at home! We are both happy with it - I'm glad I didn't spend the money on a topper first.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbo69 View Post
I must have got lucky with ours. When we picked up our trailer, I told the wife we would probably need a topper. She talked me into waiting until after our first trip. The factory mattress in our camper is better to sleep on than my $6k POS Temperpedic we have at home! We are both happy with it - I'm glad I didn't spend the money on a topper first.
I think I will wait too. I am hoping it isn't as bad as everyone says it is! LOL
deew424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:45 PM   #19

Well I can say looking at it, you would never think that something that thin would be comfortable. I'm about 245, and slept like a baby!
Old 08-31-2020, 10:18 AM   #20

Somewhat off topic, since we chose not to go with the topper but just replaced the whole mattress...

We bought our TT brand-new a few months ago, and slept on the factory mattress a few times - it was terrible. WAAAY to soft, and of course only about 6" thick. We thought about trying a topper, but figured with the base mattress that soft that it just wouldn't work out, as you'd continue to just sink all over the place.

So we splurged and got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X48YZZF

Granted, that cost a lot more than a topper...but holy crap. It's a great mattress, maybe better than the one we have at home, and it came in the "RV King" size that we needed to replace our stock one.

Spendy purchase I guess...but we are thrilled with it.