RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2020, 12:56 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 18
Max Air Fan reversal

Howdy FR Crew! We have the dual Max Air fans in our Rockwood Mini-Lite. They are not the upgraded model that can reverse. I want to have the fan over the bed to blow down, not up, and the one in the bathroom to suck the air out. Hence, if I can reverse the fan in the bedroom, I can help move a lot of air on stuffy warm days. I read that this can be done by swapping the wires on the motor. Anyone done this?
FiremedicPQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:20 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 12,992
I've not done it on your particular model but on some older crank up vent motors I did.

DC motors will certainly reverse if the leads are swapped. Look at power window motors, awning motors, slide motors, etc... all reversed by swapping the leads. (done with a switch in those cases)

One thing to keep in mind... the roof of a R/V sitting in the sun can get awfully hot... are you sure you want to suck that hot air IN the vent? You'd be better off opening a window and let BOTH ceiling fans pull air INTO the R/V from below.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:49 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Jimandchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southeast Michigan
Posts: 621
Easier to just add a DPDT reversing switch ahead of the motor. I used connectors in case I wanted to remove it.Click image for larger version

Name:	20150723_185358%20(1).jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	241951Click image for larger version

Name:	20150721_122447%20(1).jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	241952Click image for larger version

Name:	20150723_185416(1)%20(1).jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	241953
__________________
2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 281RLDSLE
2018 2500 HD Silverado
Equal-i-zer Hitch E4
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:10 PM   #4
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 9,205
Grab a DPDT rocker switch on Ebay.
About 6 bucks incl shipping.
You'd need to cut a rectangular hole in your trim.
A nice DIY upgrade and not that hard. You'll need some push on connectors as well. Those can be had from Lowes or Home Debit.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DPDT-20-AMP...EAAOSww41e6M7c
Be SURE you get a maintained type switch and not momentary!
(Momentary work great for slides and awnings but not so much on fans!)
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2017 Nissan Titan 5.6L King cab 4wd
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 18
Thank you

Awesome - I can always count on the FR Team to come through. I appreciate your suggestions. Based on the recommendations posted, I found a YouTube how-to video as well. Thanks also for the switch link - that's helpful to assure I have the right one for this project.
FiremedicPQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:42 AM   #6
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 9,205
Here's a link to a diagram showing how to wire a motor reversing switch.
https://www.rollertrol.com/DC-motor-...switch-diagram
Good luck!
This is typically a one beer project!
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2017 Nissan Titan 5.6L King cab 4wd
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:35 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,394
In-and-out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I've not done it on your particular model but on some older crank up vent motors I did.

DC motors will certainly reverse if the leads are swapped. Look at power window motors, awning motors, slide motors, etc... all reversed by swapping the leads. (done with a switch in those cases)

One thing to keep in mind... the roof of a R/V sitting in the sun can get awfully hot... are you sure you want to suck that hot air IN the vent? You'd be better off opening a window and let BOTH ceiling fans pull air INTO the R/V from below.
I've done the reversing trick on fans, too.

5-picker, here is the use-case for one intake fan and one exhaust fan. Suppose you are out hiking or at the pool all day on a nice hot day. You come back to the trailer after it's started to cool down. You open the trailer to get away from the vicious mosquitoes and get hit with a blast of hot air. You duck inside and close the door. The quickest way to do a complete air exchange is to run one fan on intake and the other on exhaust. The air streaming through the trailer minimizes the dead spots.
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:51 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 4
Crappy Smell

Another thing to keep in mind is that some fans are located next to the black water tank vent.
Cajunrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:03 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 12,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
I've done the reversing trick on fans, too.

5-picker, here is the use-case for one intake fan and one exhaust fan. Suppose you are out hiking or at the pool all day on a nice hot day. You come back to the trailer after it's started to cool down. You open the trailer to get away from the vicious mosquitoes and get hit with a blast of hot air. You duck inside and close the door. The quickest way to do a complete air exchange is to run one fan on intake and the other on exhaust. The air streaming through the trailer minimizes the dead spots.
Oh... I agree, there is a time and place for one intake and one exhausting... we do it a lot!... it just isn't in the middle of a stuffy warm day as the OP eluded to wanting to use theirs where the roof air temperature is many degrees OVER ambient.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:14 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 18
Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Oh... I agree, there is a time and place for one intake and one exhausting... we do it a lot!... it just isn't in the middle of a stuffy warm day as the OP eluded to wanting to use theirs where the roof air temperature is many degrees OVER ambient.
Thanks again for all the valuable insight. Just for a quick clarification, we generally use the fans at night to help move air while sleeping. For the most part, if the weather is good, we are outside exploring, or if I can find a trout stream to try my luck at attracting a hungry fish to a dry-fly (now that's paradise!).
FiremedicPQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:39 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 12,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremedicPQ1 View Post
Thanks again for all the valuable insight. Just for a quick clarification, we generally use the fans at night to help move air while sleeping. For the most part, if the weather is good, we are outside exploring, or if I can find a trout stream to try my luck at attracting a hungry fish to a dry-fly (now that's paradise!).
.
.
Attached Images
 
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:32 PM   #12
Member
 
TINSEAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 63
Reverse fan

Make sure the location of your sewer vent. I know that one of my 3 max air fans is located within 3 ft of the sewer vent on the roof
__________________
2018 isata 3 FW

2014 Jeep JK Rubicon
TINSEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:04 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Dcbenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: New Smyrna Beach Florida
Posts: 154
I added a 12v fan that way I can also move the direction so it blows right on us. 3 speed Marine grade spliced it into the 12 v wire
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fan.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	242084  
__________________
Don & Liz B.
Pink Retired Greyhound
2016 GTS 2800QSF
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:17 AM   #14
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 9,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbenny View Post
I added a 12v fan that way I can also move the direction so it blows right on us. 3 speed Marine grade spliced it into the 12 v wire
I like that idea! I have an -old- 12v oscillating fan we used to use when we were tent camping before we moved to trailers. It's from K-mart and probably 25+ years old. It has a large plastic clamp to clamp to the edge of a shelf or table top but we don't really have a convenient shelf in range of the bed. I think I need a fan like yours!
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2017 Nissan Titan 5.6L King cab 4wd
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fan

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.