Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2021, 09:25 PM   #1

Micro Air Easy Start vs 2 x generators?

I'm debating between buying 2 small generators and run them parallel or installing a Micro Air Easy Start to reduce the wattage needed to start my 19BHLR 15k BTU AC while boondocking or dry camping. After watching a bunch of YouTube videos and reading some posts here I think the Easy Start is probably the way to go. I'm no mechanic or electrician but I can read instructions and done minor household electrical work. Anyone done this think it was really difficult and needed an RV mechanic to do this?
ciditad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 10:09 PM   #2

If your mechanically inclined at all you can do the MicroAir Easy Start by following instructions closely.

I've done the 2 generator thing and now the easy start thing with a single genny and while I like only carrying the 1 gen, it runs close to maxed out running the 15k a/c. Just ran mine and it pulls 1900 watts off the 2200 watt Gen. The easy start helps a bunch but I like 2 gens paired together, neither working overly hard.
Old 06-27-2021, 10:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Rez View Post
If your mechanically inclined at all you can do the MicroAir Easy Start by following instructions closely.

I've done the 2 generator thing and now the easy start thing with a single genny and while I like only carrying the 1 gen, it runs close to maxed out running the 15k a/c. Just ran mine and it pulls 1900 watts off the 2200 watt Gen. The easy start helps a bunch but I like 2 gens paired together, neither working overly hard.
X2. This is exactly right. With easystart you can probably run one 15k, but not much else. Get the second generator and the easystart.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 10:27 PM   #4

No one is less mechanically inclined than am I. When I was younger, and bought my first house, my dad traveled up from Florida to Maryland to install a down stairs bathroom, something my first home lacked. I remember him watching me pound a nail into one of the studs, bending it. He said "Son, put the hammer down and walk away from the wall" and that was the end of that!

But I successfully installed my own Micro-Air Easy Start, and it runs very well with a single Honda EU2200i. Make sure you get the optional installation kit; it contains connectors and other things that you're almost certainly going to need. Also watch several YouTube videos very carefully, as there are some different configurations you need to know about and react to (e.g. if the unit already has a soft start capacitor installed or not).

For me the biggest problem I faced was that two of the wires I had to splice into, or connect jointly with another wire, were too short. I needed an extra inch or so of wiring and that became a big problem that caused me to adapt a solution in real time. I got through it, and it works now, but trust me, my father's words were echoing in my head the entire time!

Look, if I can do it, you can do it. Still feel uncomfortable? There are lots of RV repair places that, for a fee, will do this for you. But having done it myself now, I'm sure it's within the capability of pretty much anyone.

Ray
Old 06-28-2021, 12:34 PM   #5
NXR

Review Micro-Air's installation articles and you can make a better determination for your exact make and maybe model of A/C: EasyStart Knowledge Bank - Installation - Micro-Air, Inc.

Ray
Old 06-28-2021, 12:38 PM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

Unfortunately, the Micro Air unit is sold out. They have me on waiting list. I have two 2k watt Champions, but would rather just take along one for A/C use while sleeping enroute to final destination.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 06:09 PM   #7

Since Micro Air is sold out I went ahead and ordered their competitor SoftStart, I will report back on the install.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Since Micro Air is sold out I went ahead and ordered their competitor SoftStart, I will report back on the install.
I ordered a Softstart in 2019 but installed it only 2 weeks ago since the camper was unused in 2019.

The instructions to install are nearly identical I found...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:11 PM   #9

I installed 2 easy starts this spring. It takes longer to figure out best wire routes and mounting the box than connecting the four wires. I highly recommend them, they work as advertised. I didn’t “train” mine, just plugged in at the campground and turned on the acs. Figured after they cycle a few times they’d be trained.
High Country Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:51 PM   #10

2K watt generator

Just so you know...I bought and installed the Easy Start on my RV 13.5K AC. Unfortunately, my AI-power 2K generator will not operate the Air Conditioner.

I contacted the mfg of the Easy Start, and I was told that they used the Honda 2K generator to design the Easy Start, and other 2K generators may not operate the AC using the easy start.

So, according to the mfg, if you are using any generator other than the Honda, your generator may, or may not operate the Air Conditioner.

Mine would not.

Hope this helps.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:04 PM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

Keeping my fingers crossed for Champion 2k. I've seen other posts on other sites saying it worked with them.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:10 PM   #12
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Just so you know...I bought and installed the Easy Start on my RV 13.5K AC. Unfortunately, my AI-power 2K generator will not operate the Air Conditioner.

I contacted the mfg of the Easy Start, and I was told that they used the Honda 2K generator to design the Easy Start, and other 2K generators may not operate the AC using the easy start.

So, according to the mfg, if you are using any generator other than the Honda, your generator may, or may not operate the Air Conditioner.

Mine would not.
Looks like the Honda is 1800 watts running and 2200 watts peak while the A-Ipower SUA2000I is 1600 watts running and 2000 watts peak. Is that the one you have?

The Micro-Air doc says if you train it with a generator you need to turn off any "eco" mode. Presumably that is the mechanism that throttles the engine up and down with load and instead causes the generator to run full out all the time.

I presume you tried that?

Ray
Old 06-28-2021, 10:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post

Mine would not.

Hope this helps.
I'm getting the Westinghouse 2500 so that should be enough to cover...
Old 06-28-2021, 10:06 PM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quite definitely. Even a 2kw surge generator is supposed to work. Some brands may not live up to their specs, but I believe Champion has good reputation for meeting specs. Unless you are running on propane, or are over 4,000 ft elevation, power drops off.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:18 AM   #15

NXR

When speaking with the customer service individual at Easy Start, he did not even ask if using the generator on gasoline or propane. In fact, I was operating it on propane.

He indicated that this 2K generator simply would not run my AC using their product. Now, I am wondering if gasoline would make enough of a difference to run the AC? Yes, The A-Ipower SUA2000I is the generator that I have.

The eco mode was off, but it was being used on propane.

I just returned from a dry camping trip, and I pulled out my Predator 3500 for my trip and it worked wonderfully. The only trouble with the predator, is that it is heavy and I have to leave it in the truck bed. I would prefer the 2K generator due to the fact I can lift it in and out of the truck alone.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:22 AM   #16
Trailer Park Supervisor

Please report back after you try the 2k with gasoline. Propane will give you 10-15% less power than gas, may be just the extra power you need.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:49 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Please report back after you try the 2k with gasoline. Propane will give you 10-15% less power than gas, may be just the extra power you need.
x2
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 04:05 PM   #18

NXR, NJChris, bikend and others

4-2-21
Reporting back on the A-iPower 2000 watt generator as requested. Specs: Displacement 79cc; Rated Current 13.3 Amps; SUA 2000id; 4-stroke OHV air cooled single cylinder era certified.

As previously reported, I tried the 2K watt generator after installing the Micro-Air Easy Start using propane. The generator would not run the AC.

Today, I again made sure the Refrigerator was on propane only, the water heater and the water pump were off. Nothing else was turned on other than the AC on electricity, not even a light. I put gasoline in the generator, and started it and let it run before plugging in the camper. I of course made sure the eco mode was turned off prior to starting the generator and left it off.

I turned on the fan for the Air Conditioner and it ran fine. I then turned on the AirConditioner to low cool, and the fan stopped running and the compressor would not start, and then the fan would resume working. The compressor on this 13,500 AC will not start using the 2K generator on gasoline (Just like propane) and using the installed Easy Start. Im having to use my heavy (For me) 3500 watt Predator generator if I want to run the AC.

I do not know who is at fault, me for believing that the Easy Start would work with my new Generator as described, or if the Generator is not putting out the specs., or if the Easy Start is at fault. Either way, it is a huge disappointment. I bought the Easy Start, then the generator hoping I would be able to meet my needs with a lighter and more manageable generator for this old guy. Isn't that what this is advertised to do?

Anyway, I just wanted to share with you my experience and wish you success with your project. I wanted to be able to answer the question of wether the Gasoline mode for this generator would improve the output enough to run the AC using the easy start. Nope...
Old 07-02-2021, 05:11 PM   #19
NXR

Thanks for the test. Do you recall the make and model number of your A/C unit?

Ray
Old 07-02-2021, 05:26 PM   #20

I am running Honda EU2200i with non-ethanol gas with Easy Start and it does run my 15BTU A/C. I have tested at sea level but not at 8,00 ft.

ciditad, what is your elevation?
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator