Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2022, 09:33 PM   #1

Mini-Lite 2507S outdoor kitchen redesign

This is a work in progress.

My Mini-Lite has a nice outdoor kitchen with a sink with running water that actually drains to the gray tank, but the refrigerator is ridiculously large. It consumes countertop space and doesn't even have a freezer. It seems intended for beer parties.

I removed it and replaced it with a cube refrigerator with a small freezer section. Building a shelf for the refrigerator frees up a lot of counter space and I can fit a countertop icemaker under it. The increased counter space also improves my storage options for the griddle while underway. Currently, it rides on the sink on top of a sheet of plywood to spread the load. While it's a jury-rig, it's secure, but sitting directly on the counter will be easier.

The refrigerator and icemaker draw little enough power that I can use them with the inverter if we don't have shore power. In that case, I'll use them intermittently to make a batch of ice, storing it in the freezer in the process. Once I have a full bucket, it will be stored in the indoor 2-way refrigerator and the icemaker and refrigerator will be turned off.

original design
Click image for larger version

Name:	original design.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	315.8 KB
ID:	279207

original design with refrigerator removed. huge space

Name:	refrigerator removed.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	334.9 KB
ID:	279208

Hollow wall screw anchors. I tested the depth of the wall behind the partition I'm mounting the anchors on. All are deeper than the anchors and screws. They're only in 3/16" Lauan but there are about 20 anchors, total, holding the brackets. The load is well-distributed and I'm confident they're secure.

Name:	screw anchors for shelf.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	629.5 KB
ID:	279210

Angle bracket for wood shelf with temporary screws. I drilled holes in the ends first, held it up to a line on the wall to use the holes as a template, then drilled pilot holes through the paneling. After installing the end screw anchors, I attached the bracket and drilled through the metal and into the panel so the other holes lined up. I took the bracket off, installed the rest of the anchors, then reattached the angle using all of the anchors.

Name:	rear support with temporary screws.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	548.8 KB
ID:	279209

Wooden shelf temporarily mounted on brackets. I haven't secured the shelf to the brackets or the refrigerator to the shelf. I'll use a piece of flat aluminum on the inner wall of the cabinet as a buttress for the angle attached to the outer cabinet wall. Also using flat aluminum, I'll support the front right corner of the shelf up to the cabinet, because that corner is cantilevered out past the bracket. I haven't figured out yet how to attach that support to the cabinet, nor to the front corner of the shelf.

Name:	side view, new design.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	430.9 KB
ID:	279212

The refrigerator will be permanently mounted to the shelf to avoid movement. I'll move it as far to the left as I can, while still opening the door fully, to distribute the weight away from the cabinet. The icemaker and griddle will be secured with straps (haven't figured that out yet) for security while traveling. The icemaker must be removed from under the shelf for use. It loads only from the top. While the griddle is in use, I have triple the counter space, compared to the original.

Name:	front view, new design.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	279211

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 05:13 PM   #2

Very nice mods. It's a better design for actually cooking in the outdoor kitchen. Thanks for the pics.
Old 09-23-2022, 03:49 PM   #3

New kitchen, configured for use and for travel.

Aluminum strips are 1/8" x 1" bar. Hook and eye bolts used to secure griddle and icemaker for travel are attached to the strip. The strip is attached with 4 anchor screws on each, into the lauan behind it. They feel sturdy enough to keep them from shifting around.

Wood strip behind griddle is scrap 1x2 that keeps the metal griddle from damaging the metal shelf. A pool noodle might do but I have scrap wood on hand.

Icemaker will stay in place unless in active use to make a batch. For that, it might sit on the stove or on the shelf hanging on the outside wall under the awning. Attachment 279593Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220923_204112963.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	279594Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220923_203853884.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	279595Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220923_203830337.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	279596

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, lite, outdoor kitchen