Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2016, 07:34 PM   #21
I go RV'ing not Camping

Would this work to attach the diplexer to the tv2 coax on the antenna booster? I have been trying to figure out a way to use the existing wall plate in the bunkhouse bedroom to run a satellite receiver as well as the coax connection in my outside kitchen area.

Any help is appreciated,
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:23 PM   #22
Chief tinkerer

Using RV park cable connector for Sat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1476757344607.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	123280   Click image for larger version

Name:	1476757366148.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	123281   Click image for larger version

Name:	1476757376759.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	123282  

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
I have a simple solution for my 2011 Georgetown 327DS. The "Park Cable" input in the rear compartment went directly to a switchbox which has three positions; antenna, cable, aux. I removed the cable connection to the switchbox and ran it to an A/B switch. One side of the switch (B) goes back to the FR switchbox while the other side (A) goes to the satellite system antenna power box. This allows me to use either source with a flick of the switch.

In my rig, the FR supplied amplifier is between the switchbox they supplied and the roof antenna, making setting up the system for a portable satellite dish a simple modification.

Phil
Something like this? Notice the over the air antenna input is completely independent (no turning off booster required).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my satellite.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	123314  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:15 AM   #24
30+ year RV'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Something like this? Notice the over the air antenna input is completely independent (no turning off booster required).
This design distributes RF only to TVs - so it is standard definition (barely). Typically, satellite subscribers want HDTV, which requires an HDMI cable for digital HD or a component RGB cable (plus audio) for an analog HD signal. There is no affordable HD to RF over coax solution available.
Hyseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:21 AM   #25

RF is not a fundamental limitation for HD. All local HD channels are broadcast over RF. Good splitters and good terminations are all that is necessary for HD over rf.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:26 AM   #26
30+ year RV'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgourlie View Post
Would this work to attach the diplexer to the tv2 coax on the antenna booster? I have been trying to figure out a way to use the existing wall plate in the bunkhouse bedroom to run a satellite receiver as well as the coax connection in my outside kitchen area.

Any help is appreciated,
Perhaps. It depends on if you are trying to use more than one satellite receiver at a time. If you are simply moving the sat receiver from one jack to another, then there is a way to use multiple diplexers to achieve that goal. However, if you want two sat receivers, then that requires the appropriate receivers, dish antenna, and sat service (I think only Dish Network offers that option) - in addition to separate cabling for the second sat receiver. So what is the goal here?
Old 10-18-2016, 08:41 AM   #27
30+ year RV'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
RF is not a fundamental limitation for HD. All local HD channels are broadcast over RF. Good splitters and good terminations are all that is necessary for HD over rf.
I agree that passive components need to have the proper bandwidth to pass broadcast HD. However, RF is a fundamental limitation for local RF origination. Local RF origination is when a local device uses its video/audio to modulate an RF carrier, typically on NTSC channel 3 or 4. Over the air broadcasters use very expensive 8VSB-type modulators to encode HD video along with multiple channels within the 6 MHz allotted spectrum. The cable industry uses QAM-type modulators to encode its HD content into multiple channels within the 6 MHz allotted spectrum. These encoding-type modulators are very expensive, and there is no consumer-grade equivalent. Any "local" RF modulation (e.g., satellite receiver RF output) is a relatively low quality NTSC output at 480i.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyseas View Post
This design distributes RF only to TVs - so it is standard definition (barely). Typically, satellite subscribers want HDTV, which requires an HDMI cable for digital HD or a component RGB cable (plus audio) for an analog HD signal. There is no affordable HD to RF over coax solution available.
All true. However; for about 4 bucks anyone with similar components can be up and running in no time with their carry out antenna. My TV is in a slide and the receiver is remotely located and HDMI cable installation between those items is impractical. I don't want to spend the bucks for wireless and SD is just fine (I'm camping). Don't know what "barely" means because the picture is fine. I just posted the drawing for those that might want to be up and running in short order and also posted in response to another reply. I guess I'm not typical but I am viewing via satellite when others are still trying to figure out what modifications are needed.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:33 AM   #29
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyseas View Post
Perhaps. It depends on if you are trying to use more than one satellite receiver at a time. If you are simply moving the sat receiver from one jack to another, then there is a way to use multiple diplexers to achieve that goal. However, if you want two sat receivers, then that requires the appropriate receivers, dish antenna, and sat service (I think only Dish Network offers that option) - in addition to separate cabling for the second sat receiver. So what is the goal here?
I have a dish vip722 receiver that I would like to run 3 tv's off of. With this diplexer I can get the 2 satellite feeds to my receiver and run both tuners. Ultimately I would like to use the vip722 coax TV2 output to run the bunkhouse and outside televisions.

When I tried this previously the picture was really snowy and of poor quality when I hooked my TV to the outside coax connection, which I can only assume is because there is a splitter somewhere from the living room tv2 connection out to the bunkhouse and the outside connection.

Has anyone gotten a good picture from the vip722 TV2 coax output connection?
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:47 AM   #30
30+ year RV'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgourlie View Post
I have a dish vip722 receiver that I would like to run 3 tv's off of. With this diplexer I can get the 2 satellite feeds to my receiver and run both tuners. Ultimately I would like to use the vip722 coax TV2 output to run the bunkhouse and outside televisions.

When I tried this previously the picture was really snowy and of poor quality when I hooked my TV to the outside coax connection, which I can only assume is because there is a splitter somewhere from the living room tv2 connection out to the bunkhouse and the outside connection.

Has anyone gotten a good picture from the vip722 TV2 coax output connection?
The diplexer will not provide multiple feeds to your vip722, it only separates frequencies, it does not divide them. You can try using a Dish Separator #123254, but it will likely need to be connected to a compatible dish antenna.

Additionally, in order to take the vip722 coax output and feed it to the TVs in your RV requires that the signal be input into the cable input of the antenna booster/cable switch (or into the exterior cable input on the RV). It is not possible to backfeed your system from the living room TV2 connection.

Tags
cable, satellite