Old 05-22-2020, 01:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Ton Heavy View Post
Considering these (2 or 4?? heavy ebike!) for a 2506 mini lite. Other than the one one vague post above, have there been any other failures? I wish the guy was more specific on the failure, dunno if it was the receiver he bolted on, or the brackets for reinforcements?

Anyone hear or have a failure?

He hasnít posted since last year and that was his one and only post ever. It sounds like he used the bolt on hitch without any further support. That was a recipe for disaster and an expensive way to learn a lesson. Thereís a lot of movement and torque at the back end of a trailer so adding the two e-bikes and rack might really tax the bumper.

I have a fiberglass cap on my short bed F-150 SC and built a bike rack for inside the bed, under the cap with the front tires removed. Works well for traveling in bad weather. If needed I also pack my regular Thule rack for use once weíre at the campground. Good luck with your decision.

Funengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
He hasnít posted since last year and that was his one and only post ever. It sounds like he used the bolt on hitch without any further support. That was a recipe for disaster and an expensive way to learn a lesson. Thereís a lot of movement and torque at the back end of a trailer so adding the two e-bikes and rack might really tax the bumper.

I have a fiberglass cap on my short bed F-150 SC and built a bike rack for inside the bed, under the cap with the front tires removed. Works well for traveling in bad weather. If needed I also pack my regular Thule rack for use once weíre at the campground. Good luck with your decision.
Did you mount that rack to wood that goes across the floor of the truck bed? We have a 6.5 bed 150, no cap (YET!). Our TT does not have a lot of storage, so the truck bed is going to become more important.

Half Ton Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:29 PM   #23

Anyone use the Mount N Strut that also has the factory frame clamped on rear rack on a Wolf Pup? Will they both fit together?
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:56 PM   #24

I have the used the Saftey Struts on my 5th wheel. I did not double them up but bolted to chassis per instructions. It is obvious to see how they add support to the bumper. My welds look good already but these give added support for sure.

I used one of their generator trays https://mount-n-lock.com/put-more-ge...tray-kit-steel and mounted my 3500 watt generators plus 5 gals of fuel on it and travel from Florida to western Washington state and home. It never budged, solid as a rock for over 7000 miles. Generator and fuel probably 140lbs.

Now Iím looking to use one of their HiLiHitches https://mount-n-lock.com/put-more-ge...racks-carriers to mount 2 eBikes. I have been in communication with them, gave them the hitch dimensions from Hollywood Hitch and my Rad eBike specs and they ensured me I was within specs for both the saftey-struts and the HiLoHitch. Still thinking on this.

2 eBikes at most, 3 or more will be way to heavy.

My question, has anyone used the HiLoHitch? Iíve read the reviews and they are all over the place. I can see where some did not use the hitch correctly and had long shafts on rack which exceeded the ratings of weight hanging way out away from the hitch. I was also told they have redesigned the hitch. If anyone has used I would like to hear your experience.
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I have the used the Saftey Struts on my 5th wheel. I did not double them up but bolted to chassis per instructions. It is obvious to see how they add support to the bumper. My welds look good already but these give added support for sure.

I used one of their generator trays https://mount-n-lock.com/put-more-ge...tray-kit-steel and mounted my 3500 watt generators plus 5 gals of fuel on it and travel from Florida to western Washington state and home. It never budged, solid as a rock for over 7000 miles. Generator and fuel probably 140lbs.

Now Iím looking to use one of their HiLiHitches https://mount-n-lock.com/put-more-ge...racks-carriers to mount 2 eBikes. I have been in communication with them, gave them the hitch dimensions from Hollywood Hitch and my Rad eBike specs and they ensured me I was within specs for both the saftey-struts and the HiLoHitch. Still thinking on this.

2 eBikes at most, 3 or more will be way to heavy.

My question, has anyone used the HiLoHitch? Iíve read the reviews and they are all over the place. I can see where some did not use the hitch correctly and had long shafts on rack which exceeded the ratings of weight hanging way out away from the hitch. I was also told they have redesigned the hitch. If anyone has used I would like to hear your experience.
Nice! Sounds like success to me.
I have a rad rover, it is a TANK. My favorite ebike is one I converted with a BBS02, half the weight and more efficient. I think I am going to order a set of the brackets and receiver too.

Thanks,
Heavy.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Nice! Sounds like success to me.
I have a rad rover, it is a TANK. My favorite ebike is one I converted with a BBS02, half the weight and more efficient. I think I am going to order a set of the brackets and receiver too.

Thanks,
Heavy.
What bike rack are you using? Iím looking at a Hollywood rack that is actually on Radís accessories list on their website.

We have 2 RadMini Folding Bikes. They weigh 67lbs each with battery removed. I sent the specs to Mount-n-Lock along with a link to Hollywood bike racks that had the dimensions of the bike rack and this is the reply I got..

Hi Don,

The HiLoHitch reviews youíre seeing are for older designs; the model weíre selling now is almost a complete redesign, retaining the ďlookĒ but making a couple notable improvements: Weíve added a free-floating pressure plate and large diameter bolt for greater clamping force on the hitch accessory and used thicker metal and pressed corners to better protect the bumper from crushing.

Perfectly understandable to make sure all of the calculations are correct. I was able to find a weight of 52 pounds for the carrier here. This would put the calculations as follows:

Rack: 52 pounds x 1 foot = 52 pound-feet
Bike 1: 67 pounds x 14 inches = 78 pound-feet
Bike 2: 67 pounds x 23.5 inches = 131 pound-feet

Total Load: 261 pound-feet
Hitch Capacity: 300 pound-feet
Cushion: 39 pound-feet

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Paul
Senior Associate
Mount-n-Lock Support
mount-n-lock.com

Our bikes are fat tire bikes and this is the Hollywood Rack Iím considering.. https://hollywoodracks.com/collectio...nt=46430699910

Let me know how things work out for you...
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 05-22-2020, 03:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Did you mount that rack to wood that goes across the floor of the truck bed? We have a 6.5 bed 150, no cap (YET!). Our TT does not have a lot of storage, so the truck bed is going to become more important.

Yes. Iíll take a picture of it when I get home.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:21 PM   #28

Quote:
What bike rack are you using? I’m looking at a Hollywood rack that is actually on Rad’s accessories list on their website.

We have 2 RadMini Folding Bikes. They weigh 67lbs each with battery removed. I sent the specs to Mount-n-Lock along with a link to Hollywood bike racks that had the dimensions of the bike rack and this is the reply I got..

Hi Don,

The HiLoHitch reviews you’re seeing are for older designs; the model we’re selling now is almost a complete redesign, retaining the “look” but making a couple notable improvements: We’ve added a free-floating pressure plate and large diameter bolt for greater clamping force on the hitch accessory and used thicker metal and pressed corners to better protect the bumper from crushing.

Perfectly understandable to make sure all of the calculations are correct. I was able to find a weight of 52 pounds for the carrier here. This would put the calculations as follows:

Rack: 52 pounds x 1 foot = 52 pound-feet
Bike 1: 67 pounds x 14 inches = 78 pound-feet
Bike 2: 67 pounds x 23.5 inches = 131 pound-feet

Total Load: 261 pound-feet
Hitch Capacity: 300 pound-feet
Cushion: 39 pound-feet

Paul
Senior Associate
Mount-n-Lock Support
mount-n-lock.com

Our bikes are fat tire bikes and this is the Hollywood Rack I’m considering.. https://hollywoodracks.com/collectio...nt=46430699910

Let me know how things work out for you...
So would the cushion be toast?
Not sure what rack it is, someone recommended it on the fb rad page. Looks very much like the Hollywood one, but IIRC paid about $160. Works great for two bikes.
Thanks for that detailed post. Sure seems like a lot of torque/weight on that mild steel bumper! I was looking at a 2020 mini lite with the included receiver, but bought a barely used 18 instead. Saved 10k but lost the receiver, griddle, porcelain toilet, and goodyear tires, and fancy new rounded look.

I know the jayco products offer a bolt on hitch that actually bolts to the frame of the trailer. That would be the ideal solution here too.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:45 PM   #29

Quote:
So would the cushion be toast?
Not sure what rack it is, someone recommended it on the fb rad page. Looks very much like the Hollywood one, but IIRC paid about $160. Works great for two bikes.
Thanks for that detailed post. Sure seems like a lot of torque/weight on that mild steel bumper! I was looking at a 2020 mini lite with the included receiver, but bought a barely used 18 instead. Saved 10k but lost the receiver, griddle, porcelain toilet, and goodyear tires, and fancy new rounded look.

I know the jayco products offer a bolt on hitch that actually bolts to the frame of the trailer. That would be the ideal solution here too.
Maybe, problem with bolt on receiver hitches or even the one welded to my 5th wheel is that they are pretty low and the actual receiver is mounted pretty Far back so it is actually In a position behind the bumper. I have used mine, it is not 2Ē, and had to add a 15Ē extension receiver extension to clear the bumper and spare tire. Talk about a fulcrum and a lot of bounce. I used it on regular bikes, not eBikes. Would never do that for sure

As for now, the eBikes are folded and in back seat of the truck. Not ready to stick back there. As you say that cushion is toast as the calculation was for static weight, not bouncing when driving down the road.

Good luck and let us know what come up with. It is a universal problem...
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 05-22-2020, 07:19 PM   #30

Quote:

Hereís my setup.
Plywood with Hollywood front fork spindle brackets. I think the plywood is 7/16Ē. It fits between the front of the box and wheel wells. Also built a box that fits over the rest of the bike rack to house my propane fire pit and Blackstone griddle.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1422.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	338.2 KB
ID:	229642

Name:	IMG_1421.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	229643

Name:	image-2020-05-22-20:12:28-455.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	229644
When we leave for Alabama in the winter I also take my Thule as itís easier to load bikes on.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:40 AM   #31

Quote:
Considering these (2 or 4?? heavy ebike!) for a 2506 mini lite. Other than the one one vague post above, have there been any other failures? I wish the guy was more specific on the failure, dunno if it was the receiver he bolted on, or the brackets for reinforcements?

Anyone hear or have a failure?
In my situation, I did not want 4 bikes on the rear. So I purchased a Let's Go Aero bike rack. It can be One 4 bike rack or Two 2 bike racks. I put two bikes on the rear and two bikes on the front on the A frame.

Here is how I did it. If you don't want to read the whole thing, just go to post #27.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-155528-2.html

We live in PA. I took this setup to Yellowstone and back and Acadia and back with no issues.

Have Fun!
Ron
2017 Shamrock 23IKSS
2016 Lincoln Navigator L, 4x4, 4.10
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:18 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron045 View Post
In my situation, I did not want 4 bikes on the rear. So I purchased a Let's Go Aero bike rack. It can be One 4 bike rack or Two 2 bike racks. I put two bikes on the rear and two bikes on the front on the A frame.

Here is how I did it. If you don't want to read the whole thing, just go to post #27.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-155528-2.html

We live in PA. I took this setup to Yellowstone and back and Acadia and back with no issues.

Have Fun!
Ron
Late night post, I was referring to 2 or 4 brackets to reenforce the bumper. I am now looking at the tongue racks too. Thanks!
Old 05-23-2020, 10:35 AM   #33

Quote:
Late night post, I was referring to 2 or 4 brackets to reenforce the bumper. I am now looking at the tongue racks too. Thanks!
I had the tongue rack when I had a bumper pull and it was great but I had to lift the bikes up there. Regular bikes ok, but eBikes will be like weight lifting 60-70 lbs over my head? Iím too old to do that now..
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 05-23-2020, 10:39 AM   #34

Quote:
I had the tongue rack when I had a bumper pull and it was great but I had to lift the bikes up there. Regular bikes ok, but eBikes will be like weight lifting 60-70 lbs over my head? Iím too old to do that now..
One of my ebikes is only 35lbs or so without battery (my favorite mid drive conversion!), the other, a rad rover with racks and fenders weighs ton. No way I am going overhead with that!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F3D70870-DE78-4B40-A847-433069B07996.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	229683  
Old 05-23-2020, 12:36 PM   #35

I emailed Paul at Mount-n-Lock about the weight calculations being static and what about real world conditions. He response below. Good info to know their margins..

Hi Don,

Our weight ratings are based on cyclical loading. We have a rig that we use to conduct bounce tests in order to simulate real-world conditions (you can see a sample test here: https://youtu.be/rXTECDRQFhk). A typical test involves weight 50% greater than the rating with maximum load per cycle of 1.3G to 1.5G, which is then run for 6.5 days around the clock to generate 1 million cycles.

Paul
Senior Associate
Mount-n-Lock Support
mount-n-lock.com
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 05-23-2020, 03:03 PM   #36

Quote:
One of my ebikes is only 35lbs or so without battery (my favorite mid drive conversion!), the other, a rad rover with racks and fenders weighs ton. No way I am going overhead with that!
My Rad Rover "fat bike" weighs 64 lbs fully assembled. With battery and front tire removed, closer to 50#. It does make a difference when I lift it into the back seat of my truck.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:57 PM   #37

Quote:
I emailed Paul at Mount-n-Lock about the weight calculations being static and what about real world conditions. He response below. Good info to know their margins..

Hi Don,

Our weight ratings are based on cyclical loading. We have a rig that we use to conduct bounce tests in order to simulate real-world conditions (you can see a sample test here: https://youtu.be/rXTECDRQFhk). A typical test involves weight 50% greater than the rating with maximum load per cycle of 1.3G to 1.5G, which is then run for 6.5 days around the clock to generate 1 million cycles.

Paul
Senior Associate
Mount-n-Lock Support
mount-n-lock.com
Hmmm. Is it me or is their "bumper" 1/4 " solid steel and mine is thin sheet metal?
Half Ton Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:05 PM   #38

Quote:
Hmmm. Is it me or is their "bumper" 1/4 " solid steel and mine is thin sheet metal?
No, itís not you. They sell a heavy duty bumper upgrade.
https://www.mount-n-lock.com/heavy-h...ent-bumper-kit

RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Tags
lock, mount, safety