Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 01:37 PM   #1
Web Developer

Mounting TV

I just got an inexpensive 24inch TV to mount in the bedroom of my 31 foot Flagstaff. I have mounted TV's in my house but I suspect this is different in the camper. Te wall I want to mount it too is an interior wall with the bathroom on the other side.

Are there studs to screw into? Do I need special hardware or a mount?
rbreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:14 PM   #2

Tv mount

I got a 1x6 long enough to span the studs in the interior wall. The board was stained to match the interior and then screwed to the studs. I then screwed the tv mount to this board. The board was long enough to add a couple of hooks for clothing.

2013 Wildwood 27RKSS
2014 41 nights camping
2015 52 nights camping
2016 49 nights camping
Kcvanover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:41 PM   #3

Interested to know how you find the wall studs to screw to and what type of hardware is used to mount the 1x6.
Nights camped: ‘18 - 27, ‘19 - 27, ‘20 - 30, ‘21 - 49

twohand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:49 PM   #4

I used a standard stud rinse and then checked by pushing on the wall. No flex occurred where the finder indicated studs.

2013 Wildwood 27RKSS
2014 41 nights camping
2015 52 nights camping
2016 49 nights camping
Kcvanover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:55 PM   #5

My 2016 didn't come with a TV in the bedroom. It has a the double slide doors that slide out from the center. It had a power outlet and cable outlet in that wall which is at the foot of the bed. It had a backer board or plywood mounted behind the wall. I was able to find it with a stud finder. Got screws a little shorter than the depth of the wall. Been good so far.
Jeff
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:25 PM   #6

Interesting little trick to find a wall stud, wood or metal: Use an electric razor. Place the back of the razor to the wall and move it slowly across the wall. This may take more than a couple of try's to learn how to do this. The razor's hum will change was it passes over a wall stud. Think about it: As the razor passes over the hollow area the sound will deepen. As it passes over a stud the sound will go higher. But you have to learn what you are hearing. I showed this to my 11 year old g'son and now he has found every stud in the house.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Interesting little trick to find a wall stud, wood or metal: Use an electric razor. Place the back of the razor to the wall and move it slowly across the wall. This may take more than a couple of try's to learn how to do this. The razor's hum will change was it passes over a wall stud. Think about it: As the razor passes over the hollow area the sound will deepen. As it passes over a stud the sound will go higher. But you have to learn what you are hearing. I showed this to my 11 year old g'son and now he has found every stud in the house.
Cool trick. If women don't find you handsome...
Nights camped: ‘18 - 27, ‘19 - 27, ‘20 - 30, ‘21 - 49

twohand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:52 PM   #8
Web Developer

Lot's of helpful stuff here. I will post the results once done.

I need to check the wall for either studs, or hopefully that backer board mentioned by bigmurph. My 2011 has the same thing, no TV, but there is an outlet, antenna jack, and a fold out table.

My plan is to wall mount the TV, then strap a small blu ray player to the table. That way we can just fold it down and it wont take up too much room.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:55 PM   #9

If the wall has an antenna outlet, I suspect it has a backer board. Our work and play didn't have a sticker saying so but using a deep penetrating stud finder, we found a backer board about 20" wide and 15" high right below the ac/cable outlet connections for living and bedroom mounts.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:31 AM   #10
Web Developer

As it turned out, Retired JSO was correct. Mine does have the outlets and there was a backer board in there. It was just the right place for the size of TV I got. The mount came with screws that were slightly longer than the wall, but I had something in the tool bag that was just right.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-01-2016, 10:05 PM   #11

Mounting TV

Another trick...look for outlet boxes in the same area...cable,DC etc.,then take the cover and hardware out and let it dangle while you look into the wall. If you can't get a good visual, try a hand mirror or take a few pics with your phone. That's how we found our mounting "plate" for our bedroom TV.
Medic1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount