Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #21

Irish Spring everywhere (smells nice too) and ultra sonics.
The thing with the ultra sonic is that it does not go through walls. Think of it like a flashlight. Any where in range of the front is illuminated", but if they can get into a void area, they'll be safe from the noise. I put one on an extension cord under the sink.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:32 PM   #22

Has anyone tried this?

https://www.riteaid.com/shop/rodent-...old%20Supplies

I know this is an old thread, but this should revive it. I can't really seal my storage building from adjacent units, so as a precaution, I put some glue traps out in strategic locations. I would probably need about 100 to cover every likely access point, and then I still can't get them all.

Anyway, much to my dismay, one of my glue traps captured a mouse.
I don't see any evidence that they've been around the RV, and I want to keep it that way.

There are bait stations around the outside of the building, but I don't know how often they're maintained. I'm hesitant to put bait inside, because once poisoned, rodents do anything to get water. I've seen them chew through every hose on a washing machine, including the pump housing to get the little bit of water. They don't seem to be able to sense the pressurized water in fill hoses, oddly.
Anyway, my point is that they'll chew up RV hoses.
I've heard of guys using sheet metal encircling landing gear to keep them out of airplanes, but the RV is only about 8" off the ground.

If these peppermint sprays work, they would be very convenient.
The only other thing I can think of is putting a bunch of glue traps all the way around the tires. I think we just have field mice, which are smaller, and not rats.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:34 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to Keithe Send a message via MSN to Keithe Send a message via Yahoo to Keithe
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1acguy View Post
https://www.riteaid.com/shop/rodent-...old%20Supplies

I know this is an old thread, but this should revive it. I can't really seal my storage building from adjacent units, so as a precaution, I put some glue traps out in strategic locations. I would probably need about 100 to cover every likely access point, and then I still can't get them all.

Anyway, much to my dismay, one of my glue traps captured a mouse.
I don't see any evidence that they've been around the RV, and I want to keep it that way.

There are bait stations around the outside of the building, but I don't know how often they're maintained. I'm hesitant to put bait inside, because once poisoned, rodents do anything to get water. I've seen them chew through every hose on a washing machine, including the pump housing to get the little bit of water. They don't seem to be able to sense the pressurized water in fill hoses, oddly.
Anyway, my point is that they'll chew up RV hoses.
I've heard of guys using sheet metal encircling landing gear to keep them out of airplanes, but the RV is only about 8" off the ground.

If these peppermint sprays work, they would be very convenient.
The only other thing I can think of is putting a bunch of glue traps all the way around the tires. I think we just have field mice, which are smaller, and not rats.

I put a mouse trap on top of each tire and haven’t had a mouse in my RV since. I’ve trapped 6 mice since doing this.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithe View Post
I put a mouse trap on top of each tire and haven’t had a mouse in my RV since. I’ve trapped 6 mice since doing this.
Interesting technique. I think we are lucky in that our neighbor has an outdoor cat and our trailer is parked close to his house. It is clear that under the previous owner our trailer had a mouse problem but I think this cat is really the key to keeping us mouse free. In the winter we do try to remove all the bedding and any possible food sources too eliminate things that are enticing or good nesting places. I’m getting queasy just writing this.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithe View Post

Thanks. My wife unit mentioned that she saw someone put glue traps on top of their tires, so that's what I did.
I also put a couple of spider traps on the rear bumper. We have the largest black widows I've ever seen here.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:49 PM   #26

Electronic pest plug ins did zilch for me
Drotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:56 PM   #27

We use regular traps, sticky traps, & put several drops of peppermint on cotton balls placed on small plates around the trailer. Have had no mice since doing this.
Sharon.72064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:25 PM   #28

How about irsih Spring soap for rodents I have heard a lot of seasoned RV’s sing it’s praises?
James.Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.Bolton View Post
How about irsih Spring soap for rodents I have heard a lot of seasoned RV’s sing it’s praises?
The mice found the Irish Spring quite tasty in my neighbors 2008 Montana last winter in storage.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:47 PM   #30

Our RV is stored inside and we put those sticky glue boards from Terminix around the tires. They work well!
Old 09-24-2020, 01:04 PM   #31

If you use steel wool, make sure it's stainless steel wool so you don't have a problem with it rusting in the future.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:26 PM   #32

I'm not sure what actually works

I use this high-powered Victor ultra-sonic unit, with all cupboard doors open, liberal Bounce dryer sheets and opened boxes of Irish Spring soap... bought a whole case of soap at Costco a few years ago. I also bought a 3-4# bag of some kind of poison mouse bait and spread that around the trailer tires. My detached garage area is ate up with mice, but the trailer has been OK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	victor.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	239874  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:11 PM   #33

nothing works like decon !!!

motorhomes are the hardest to seal up . TT and 5th wheels allow for access to all possible entry points . 6 yrs ago droped my underbelly when unit was brand new . added foam board insulation , tied up wires and routed water lines and insulated and secured . when re-installing under belly spray foam around the entire edge as i re-secured to frame then spay foam in all entry points . and not one mouse in 6yrs or rat, or much for bugs either
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:24 PM   #34
Retired Panpsychist

Shawn Woods' YouTube channel "Mousetrap Mondays" is a great source for information on the efficacy of the various mouse deterrent (sub)urban legends. He actually tests the various myths and records video of the results. This tends to weed-out all the false info.

Of the many deterrents I have heard about, one of the only one that Shawn has found to be effective is the use of mint oil. HERE is the video of his test.

He proves the following to be absolutely ineffective:
  • Dryer Sheets - mice used them for nesting;
  • Mothballs - mice ignored a whole box of them;
  • Irish Spring Soap - mice actually ate it;
  • Fox & Wolf Urine (!) - mice ignored;
  • Food Seasoned w/Peppers - mice ate it.
So, regarding rodents, you might want to pick up some mint-based repellent.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:54 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windywest View Post
We use Freshcab rodent packs, one box of 4 packs does us all year. Available online or at most hardware and farm supply outlets.

Just ordered some. Hoping that does the job.
Wodstock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof