Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
Explorer

Moved Spare Tire

I was asked about this mod, sorry I didn't take pics durring build.
I should start with, I have done an axle flip so my camper is 5 inches higher than stock. I say this because there is a space issue and I have more space/height than most. As long as you keep the tire and tie-down brackets above the axle it should be fine.
Also, welding onto the frame will probably give you problems with warranty.

Materials: tubing 1x3x3/16, all-thread ¾, bar 1¼x¼ , steel rod coupling nut ¾, heavy washer ¾, pin
Assembly: Cut a 1x3x3/16 tubing to fit between frame.
Drilled ¾ inch hole through tubing @ the radius of the tire plus 2 inches, centered
Drilled 3/16 hole in all-thread for safety pin, located just above where the nut will be
Welded ¾ inch all-thread to back side of tubing and then placed a ¾ inch washer on front side and welded all together. Washer is for some extra area/strength to make sure the all-thread would not pull through the 3/16 tubing.
Before welding in cross member I put some heat shielding on both sides of frame to protect camper’s insolation. And welding upside down so some leathers and stay out of the way.
Weld in cross member. I went 5/8 down from top to help save the camper insolation
Fab up an A-frame to secure tire; bottom of A-frame fits through rim(3inch) and top must be some larger. I drilled a ¾ hole in 1 ½ long bar, welded on the nut, welded on 6inch long members at about 120 deg, added a cross member for structural.
All pieces were painted with a rustolium for protection.

Putting the tire up into position is not the easiest to do but it is do able. If I thought I might have to use my spare tire more than once every 5-10 years, hopefully never, I would have done something else(like steal the spare tire system off a junked truck) Don’t forget to install the tire with the air-stem down. And the pin goes through the all-thread hole to keep nut/A-frame from backing off.
I know this is a fairly crude system but sometimes simple is good. I only have 300ml but so far its still there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SpareTireMount_Web.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	22206   Click image for larger version

Name:	SpareTireAframeNut_Web.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	22207  
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
Another rat in the race

Thanks I am planning to do the axle flip when I get the time and money to get my friends mobile welding unit running. I will add this to the list.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #3

I like that. I have thought for some time about moving the spare to the under belly to make room for a custom bumper. You have just motivated me sir. I have heard stories of TT tire blow outs that end up damaging both tires, so i think I will go the route of two spare Tires under the frame, hell there's room.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The only thing to caution is that the spare tire mounted under belly may most likely limit the ability when backing uphill or down particularly if they're placed near the tongue or the back bumper.

We previously had a Rockwood 2605S TT which sat quite low (only 2 entry steps) that I wouldn't ever have considered this mod.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #5

My spare tire move/remount, Take tire off rear bumper of trl, Put in trk bed against the front of trk bed, take 1, 1" ratchet strap and strap tight against front of trk bed, Cost $5 for the strap.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #6

Roger that lindy. Plus you don't have to crawl under your trailer to get the spare. Especially if its been raining!!
MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote