Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2022, 12:09 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
"Yep! I installed these in my engine and generator compartments and they work great! I haven't had a fire since I installed them!"
Ha Ha. Good one. But really, are you using them? They make a lot of sense to me.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 12:18 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Take a little time to study up on the A-B-C nomenclature.
I'm assuming you were just posting this for other folks' awareness and not being condescending. Because I am well aware of the difference and the "overall" utility of an ABC extinguisher. Long ago I did some Fire/Rescue training at the DSFS, and even then, became aware of the inadequacy and false sense of security provided with many extinguishers.
You get a tire fire, and you will need maybe 20 5# ABC extinguishers, maybe.
There are different products out there to serve different needs.
I also wouldn't want to have to clean up the power residue after using a dry chemical extinguisher that extinguished a small fire inside the RV.
There are a lot of options and trade-offs that have to be considered.
Old 03-05-2022, 12:23 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
If that statement is qualified to read "all types of fire in an RV or a home" it would be a lot closer to accurate.

We had straight Class A extinguishers in the hangar and offices for flammable materials and had Purple K extinguishers in the hangar for liquid and electrical fires. Purple K will not damage aluminum.
Ray
Thanks. That was kind of the point and the why behind my reply to Larry. I was introduced to PurpleK back in the mid 70s, specifically for metals enhanced fires. I believe now it has been replaced with something else as it is toxic to humans? Read something about it recently.
But any way, thanks to the back up.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:48 PM   #44

I added a 2.5 lb ABC up by our bed, since the factory extinguisher is tiny and located in the back of the trailer next to the exit door, refrigerator and converter/breaker panel.

I figure if there were to be a fire it's most likely to start toward the rear of the trailer where the potential sources are.

I also carry a 2.5 lb H3R HalGuard in the truck.

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, 7.3L
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:18 PM   #45

Additional Fire Extinguisher

I have the factory installed one next to the door. I added one at the base of the bed in our fifth wheel. I'm not interested in trying to fight it unless it were pretty small. I'm more interested in using it to be able to exit out the main door, rather than through the emergency exit window in the bedroom, if a fire were to start while we were sleeping. I have also added additional smoke detectors. We have a Primetime Crusader 295RST, so the fifth wheel isn't that large but I prefer having the extra safety items. Extinguishers and detectors are cheap compared to the fifth wheel and our lives.
free83118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:30 PM   #46

Extinguishers everywhere

I have the small one by the door, but also I mounted a large one in the kitchen, bedroom, and just inside my storage bay.
skydansir533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:31 PM   #47

Added Fire extinguisher and flashlight

Our First Alert extinguisher did not come with a wall mount. Thanks to comments on that other river site, a bicycle water bottle rack works perfectly. The one in the bedroom also holds a flashlight.

I similarly mounted an extinguisher in our tire vehicle on the post behind the driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16466989308533921521904653404540.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	269758  
59 Campgrounds in 2023
Robertsmusings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:38 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Not sure how much of this has been discussed in the forum before, but have any of you upgraded the number of extinguishers in your RV? Especially those with larger RV's? Where did you mount them for quick access?

I've got a small, low-end extinguisher which I believe was outfitted by the factory. Its mounted near the doorway in the kitchen. Good location for that area, but not so quick access if a fire starts in the basement storage of the RV.

My fiver is larger than average, so I've been thinking of adding a couple more, just in case of an emergency. I was thinking of mounting one in the basement storage locker, or the locker behind the pin box. The other one I was thinking of mounting somewhere in the rear of the RV.

Am I too paranoid, or does this make good sense? Guess it's like insurance in that it's better to have it and not need it than needing it and not having it. Any descent size fire could very likely result in a total insurance loss and need to replace the RV. With the ever-increasing prices of a new RV, my out of pocket costs would be quite a lot if I were to buy the same model RV today, plus add-on all the upgrades that've been installed on it in the last couple years.

In all the years I've owned an RV, I've never had a need to use one, but if I do, I want to be prepared. There seem to be good ones from both Kidde and First Alert that don't cost all that much that I'm looking at adding. Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated!
I have a toy hauler with 2 doors. I have a factory installed fire extinguishers at each door. I have one under sink in kitchen, another in the pass through storage compartment, and one in my truck.
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:41 PM   #49

Fire extinguishers

I have the factory one and added a 30 lb one in basement but if had major fire just let it burn. They make new ones every day
Grampareg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:58 PM   #50

2 large in the vehicle for tires, brakes etc. The trailer added extinguishers in the bedroom an by the bunks. That's mine.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:03 PM   #51

I retired from 33 years in the fire service and the thing I heard most was, “I didn’t know the fire would spread that fast, or the extinguisher didn’t last long, things like that.” Most people think what they see in the movies is real, 10 in fire extinguisher puts out a house fire. In reality the RV standard extinguisher will last maybe 8 seconds.
If you want to get out of a burning RV at night make sure your smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors are working. They have a life span of 10 years from date of manufacture not installation date. Where I live we had a family of 5 die last fall in a RV from a smouldering fire and the detectors weren’t working. The fire smothered itself and the family was found dead when the police did a wellness check. Fire grows exponentially and in my case we are out of there as soon as possible.

Dan and Carol
2019 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/4x4/long box
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway 38FLX
Full timers since May 2019
Axeman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:10 PM   #52

I've carried fire extinguishers in my tow vehicle since I was 20. I was stuck in the middle of nowhere Utah with a clogged fuel filter (unknown to me) and was checking the fuel pump. I had my buddy turn the engine over to see if it was pumping. It was, and of course it backfired. We had a fire extinguisher in the boat we were towing, and a blanket to smother the flames while we found it. The spark plug wires only sagged a couple of inches.

I've seen enough vehicle fires on the side of the road to know you need to have one handy. When the gauge gets out of the green, I light a big cardboard box on fire, and have the grandkids try to put it out. They aren't that impressive. My ROO didn't come with one, so I put a large one right by the door, on the floor. It is reachable from outside the trailer if the door is open. I'd go back in for my grandkids.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:50 PM   #53

Hey all,

Lots of good discussions on here about fire extinguishers, use and mounting locations. I see a few Here have some experience and training and that’s great to see. I do as well. 35 years fighting fire and 22 years as an EMT and now a NREMT Since 2017, 20 years 4 months as a hazardous waste/explosives Tech A and currently a VA fire instructor 1. You know what all that means? I breath just like everyone else. Burns are I think one of the nastiest injuries ever to receive. Smoke inhalation can incapacitate one quickly leaving one unconscious. Fire extinguishers are meant for small incipient fires for those who are not trained. A phone charger that overheated and catches fire, the small oven fire or stove top fire or even a weed bundle that caught fire when your engines exhaust was touching it. The gentleman who talked about the pan of grease on fire is for sure right. I’ve run a lot of fire that burned up the houses because of people blowing the flaming grease all over. They make some great fire blankets now to smother small fires and are great additions to kitchens. Just type “fire blanket” in on Amazon and dozens will come up. I really think getting out in a fire emergency is #1. Of course it is right? Well when in a panicked situation people with out training react differently causing some bad decisions to be made. Hence the need for fire and rescue right! Listen some people
Work all their lives to save and buy an RV. The last thing they want to do is lose it. Talking with your family about this situation is a great thing to do. I’m off topic and I’m sorry. Fire extinguisher placement, type and size all have a purpose. The recommended location is by each exit, kitchen and special needs area. Such as a welding area, or other fire danger activity. I left
The factory mounted ABC 2.5 lb mounted at the door. I then mounted a 10lb ABC in the area between fireplace and door. Installed 2-fire blankets on the door to the pantry. 2 more fire blankets in the cabinet beside the door. Also carry a 10lb abc and a 2-1/2 gallon water extinguisher in the bed of my tow vehicle. A working smoke detector and CO detector are important. A self made first aid kit is very important. I’ve yet to find an affordable pre made kit that has what I want in it. I don’t want a first aid kit just for little cuts and insect bites. I want to be able to handle severed limbs, severe burns and arterial bleeds. A CPR mask is a must as well. I promise if the smoke doesn’t get you the inhaled dust from a 10lb ABC extinguisher being discharged inside an RV will. The biggest part of the battle is won if you have a plan and talk it out with your family often. Even plans for what to do in case of a flat tire is important. I’ve run a couple deaths from people being hit while pulled over dealing with a flat tire. Not good and totally avoidable with proper planning. Anyway I hope everyone stays safe and plans for the worst but gets the best. See Ya….
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:11 PM   #54

3x in a small TT with no slideouts

I use Element 50 "stick" extinguishers in our Salem FSX 260RTX "toy hauler" with no slides.

I use THREE separate extinguishers:

1) At main door entrance.
2) At the rear drop down door reachable from inside, ground, or on deck in patio mode.
3) Right next to me in the bedroom so I can either fight us to the main door or hold off the flame while we exit the emergency window.

I don't give a rat's "4th point of contact" about the trailer. It is ONLY about getting my wife out of the trailer safe, then me...
cautery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:33 PM   #55

100% , the trailer mounted fire ext is next to the door. If a fire breaks out in electrical the stairwell is blocked.

Install one next to the upstairs emergency exit window and the back emergency window.

I'm considering upgrading the one next to the main door for a bigger unit.

Probably one in the front compartment.

Remember fire extinguisher is there to get out, not necessarily to save the unit.
Jim S JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:55 PM   #56

We had a fire in our campground last night. Best to get out and stay far away. Propane tanks blowing up rattled the whole campground. Luckily no one was injured.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9DC31ECA-3DA2-4C06-A351-6814005DE5BE.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	269769   Click image for larger version

Name:	C5025193-E677-4EFE-9892-81381A5DA8D2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	269770   Click image for larger version

Name:	1839ACDD-B1A8-49AE-8FE5-0A832CE324F9.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	538.9 KB
ID:	269771   Click image for larger version

Name:	01CD5783-61CC-4330-B4D7-0EA500E47A79.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	269772  
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:31 AM   #57

I have 4 in our trailer.....bedroom, entry door, basement, and one on our center island which is next to the stove. They are bigger than the small ones....and periodically I give them a good shake.

I remember all my Navy fire training, and I was part of my ship's inboard fire party......I'd still be worried about getting out of the RV....OBTW, we have added extra alarms throughout the trailer.

I should add one to our truck.

Good thread.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:58 AM   #58

multiple fire extinquisher upgrade

We have 3 the factory mount and then 2 larger in the bedroom. One on each side of the bed. I agree these are to escape not necessarily save the motorhome. My biggest concern is my bird who is up in the driver area, I just hope I never have to make that call.
vickyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:03 PM   #59

In another forum and RVer commended having a hose ready for a fire. Hence my flush hose is coiled on the bumper with a nozzle attached.
This might be useful for a wayward spark from a campfire or to cool propane tanks until trained firefighters arrive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220308_103431.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	537.7 KB
ID:	269787  
59 Campgrounds in 2023
Robertsmusings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:46 PM   #60

Just received this in an email from one of my subscriptions.

https://campersmarts.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-rv-fire-safety
Axeman49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade