Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2020, 06:37 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 3
Murphy bed mattress replacement

We just picked up a 178bhsk and it has a Murphy bed with a mattress that folds in half when you put up the bed. The mattress is absolutely terrible!!!! Has anyone replaced this mattress? If so what did you get? We’ve already tried putting a 2” topper on it and that helped some but still awful nights sleep.

Any advice would be great!!!
__________________

Gfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:46 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
SeaDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 7,016
Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. try using the search function at the top right of the page there are numerous articles on Murphy beds and Mattresses.
__________________

__________________
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab)
2017 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 Cummins Diesel
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 3
Thanks. I’ve tried the search and it seems everyone is talking about Murphy beds in which the mattress is one solid unit that folds up. The mattress I have folds in half then folds up behind the couch. I need a mattress like this not a solid one piece mattress.
Gfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:18 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. try using the search function at the top right of the page there are numerous articles on Murphy beds and Mattresses.
Good suggestion but the Search function produces way too many results.

Type in "Murphy Bed" and you'll not only get "Murphy Bed" but every other post that uses just the term "bed" as well.

This mass of unrelated results often prompts people to just start a new thread rather than sort through a dozen pages of results.

It's worse if more words are used in the search criteria and likewise if only using one word.

Could you imagine how many pages of results would be returned if one searched for "Tires" or "Batteries".

Would be nice if search functions had an "exact use" criteria where for example "Murphy Bed", with no other words between had to exist in result or it wasn't shown.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
3boxerss
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 142
Look up tri fold mattress on amazon they have some that might work
__________________
2017 FR Wildwood 201 BHXL
2016 Ford F250
Previous 2001 Traillite Bantam B19
3boxerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:31 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,461
Quotes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Type in "Murphy Bed" and you'll not only get "Murphy Bed" but every other post that uses just the term "bed" as well.

This mass of unrelated results often prompts people to just start a new thread rather than sort through a dozen pages of results.

It's worse if more words are used in the search criteria and likewise if only using one word.

Would be nice if search functions had an "exact use" criteria where for example "Murphy Bed", with no other words between had to exist in result or it wasn't shown.
In many applications including this one, putting the phrase in quotation marks causes the search engine to only return instances of the complete phrase.

Since the search is actually powered by Google, the other Google rules also apply.

Minus sign: Any search containing an argument preceded by "-" will not return articles containing that argument. Example:
"murphy bed" -foo will return all articles mentioning murphy beds except those that also contain foo.

OR: OR (must be capitalized) separates arguments where presence of either alternative is sufficient to return the article. Example:
Campgrounds (Idaho OR Illinois OR Indiana OR Iowa) will return articles where at least one of those "I" states is mentioned.

Plus sign: Any argument preceded by a plus sign must be in returned articles. This is useful when you have a number of arguments, some of which might not be present. Example:
+murphy +bed will return all articles containing both murphy and bed but they do not have to be adjacent. A returned article might contain this statement: "It's Murphy's Law that the bed gets wet when it rains."
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
In many applications including this one, putting the phrase in quotation marks causes the search engine to only return instances of the complete phrase.

Since the search is actually powered by Google, the other Google rules also apply.

Minus sign: Any search containing an argument preceded by "-" will not return articles containing that argument. Example:
"murphy bed" -foo will return all articles mentioning murphy beds except those that also contain foo.

OR: OR (must be capitalized) separates arguments where presence of either alternative is sufficient to return the article. Example:
Campgrounds (Idaho OR Illinois OR Indiana OR Iowa) will return articles where at least one of those "I" states is mentioned.

Plus sign: Any argument preceded by a plus sign must be in returned articles. This is useful when you have a number of arguments, some of which might not be present. Example:
+murphy +bed will return all articles containing both murphy and bed but they do not have to be adjacent. A returned article might contain this statement: "It's Murphy's Law that the bed gets wet when it rains."
I tried the "Quotes" first. Got 12 pages. Many had "bed" all by itself and totally unrelated to "Murphy".

As i stated, whatever words are in they search box will return any article/post that has any of those words in them, even if not related.

Try searching or "murphy bed" and see how many posts come back where truck beds are being discussed.

Would be nice to be able to "drill down" by being able to do further searches within the results.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:29 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,461
You must be doing something wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I tried the "Quotes" first. Got 12 pages. Many had "bed" all by itself and totally unrelated to "Murphy".

As i stated, whatever words are in they search box will return any article/post that has any of those words in them, even if not related.

Try searching or "murphy bed" and see how many posts come back where truck beds are being discussed.

Would be nice to be able to "drill down" by being able to do further searches within the results.
You must be doing something wrong. You did put a single set of quotes around the two words, right? Like this: "murphy bed"
Not like this: "murphy" "bed"
And you're using a real web browser, not the "app", right?

I just did it. Attached are the first three pages.

Try this alternate way to produce the same query, which should give results identical to mine. Open your browser to Google.com . In the query field, enter this query:
site:forestriverforums.com "murphy bed"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mb1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	225750   Click image for larger version

Name:	mb2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	225751   Click image for larger version

Name:	mb3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	225752  
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:35 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 1,745
Back to the original problem....

A fold in half mattress is used by many rvs that have slideouts. Haven't heard of anyone that loved the original fold in half mattress. I don't know if it has to do with the hardness or the 'fold in half' feature.

Now they make inflatable mattresses that are used in many pull out couches and that might be a solution, but I have no idea where you buy one.
__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:04 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 3
Someone has to make bifold replacement mattresses. I put on a 2” memory foam topper and that helped some but it still sucks to sleep on. If no one has any suggestions I may try adding a pillow top topper onto of the memory foam topper.
Gfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:28 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfunk View Post
Someone has to make bifold replacement mattresses. I put on a 2” memory foam topper and that helped some but it still sucks to sleep on. If no one has any suggestions I may try adding a pillow top topper onto of the memory foam topper.
There are a lot of "Mattress Factories" around and I'm not talking about the name of a Chain store selling Mattresses. The town I live in has one that makes custom mattresses, boat, and RV cushions.

Might be worthwhile checking to see if there is one near you. My local "factory" makes all kinds of mattresses for RV's from old school inner-spring to multi layer foam. If you have one near I'd consider paying them a visit and see what they can offer.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:19 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,461
The Original Mattress Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
There are a lot of "Mattress Factories" around and I'm not talking about the name of a Chain store selling Mattresses. The town I live in has one that makes custom mattresses, boat, and RV cushions.

Might be worthwhile checking to see if there is one near you. My local "factory" makes all kinds of mattresses for RV's from old school inner-spring to multi layer foam. If you have one near I'd consider paying them a visit and see what they can offer.
I AM talking about a chain called The Original Mattress Factory. They have dozens of stores east of the Mississippi (and one in MN). And they DO make custom mattresses. They will ship anywhere in the country.

Some of their retail operations and all? of their factories are currently closed due to COVID-19.
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:12 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 32
I would love to see a picture of the folded murphy bed. I have a MicroLite with the window behind the murphy bed. I would really like a bed that allows me to still see the window when the bed is closed.
__________________

micro_jul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bed, replacement

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 AM.


×