Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2020, 06:37 PM   #1

Murphy bed mattress replacement

We just picked up a 178bhsk and it has a Murphy bed with a mattress that folds in half when you put up the bed. The mattress is absolutely terrible!!!! Has anyone replaced this mattress? If so what did you get? We’ve already tried putting a 2” topper on it and that helped some but still awful nights sleep.

Any advice would be great!!!
Gfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:46 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. try using the search function at the top right of the page there are numerous articles on Murphy beds and Mattresses.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #3

Thanks. I’ve tried the search and it seems everyone is talking about Murphy beds in which the mattress is one solid unit that folds up. The mattress I have folds in half then folds up behind the couch. I need a mattress like this not a solid one piece mattress.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. try using the search function at the top right of the page there are numerous articles on Murphy beds and Mattresses.
Good suggestion but the Search function produces way too many results.

Type in "Murphy Bed" and you'll not only get "Murphy Bed" but every other post that uses just the term "bed" as well.

This mass of unrelated results often prompts people to just start a new thread rather than sort through a dozen pages of results.

It's worse if more words are used in the search criteria and likewise if only using one word.

Could you imagine how many pages of results would be returned if one searched for "Tires" or "Batteries".

Would be nice if search functions had an "exact use" criteria where for example "Murphy Bed", with no other words between had to exist in result or it wasn't shown.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
3boxerss

Look up tri fold mattress on amazon they have some that might work

Previous Campers
2017 FR Wildwood 201 BHXL
2001 Traillite Bantam B19
3boxerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:31 PM   #6

Quotes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Type in "Murphy Bed" and you'll not only get "Murphy Bed" but every other post that uses just the term "bed" as well.

This mass of unrelated results often prompts people to just start a new thread rather than sort through a dozen pages of results.

It's worse if more words are used in the search criteria and likewise if only using one word.

Would be nice if search functions had an "exact use" criteria where for example "Murphy Bed", with no other words between had to exist in result or it wasn't shown.
In many applications including this one, putting the phrase in quotation marks causes the search engine to only return instances of the complete phrase.

Since the search is actually powered by Google, the other Google rules also apply.

Minus sign: Any search containing an argument preceded by "-" will not return articles containing that argument. Example:
"murphy bed" -foo will return all articles mentioning murphy beds except those that also contain foo.

OR: OR (must be capitalized) separates arguments where presence of either alternative is sufficient to return the article. Example:
Campgrounds (Idaho OR Illinois OR Indiana OR Iowa) will return articles where at least one of those "I" states is mentioned.

Plus sign: Any argument preceded by a plus sign must be in returned articles. This is useful when you have a number of arguments, some of which might not be present. Example:
+murphy +bed will return all articles containing both murphy and bed but they do not have to be adjacent. A returned article might contain this statement: "It's Murphy's Law that the bed gets wet when it rains."
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
In many applications including this one, putting the phrase in quotation marks causes the search engine to only return instances of the complete phrase.

Since the search is actually powered by Google, the other Google rules also apply.

Minus sign: Any search containing an argument preceded by "-" will not return articles containing that argument. Example:
"murphy bed" -foo will return all articles mentioning murphy beds except those that also contain foo.

OR: OR (must be capitalized) separates arguments where presence of either alternative is sufficient to return the article. Example:
Campgrounds (Idaho OR Illinois OR Indiana OR Iowa) will return articles where at least one of those "I" states is mentioned.

Plus sign: Any argument preceded by a plus sign must be in returned articles. This is useful when you have a number of arguments, some of which might not be present. Example:
+murphy +bed will return all articles containing both murphy and bed but they do not have to be adjacent. A returned article might contain this statement: "It's Murphy's Law that the bed gets wet when it rains."
I tried the "Quotes" first. Got 12 pages. Many had "bed" all by itself and totally unrelated to "Murphy".

As i stated, whatever words are in they search box will return any article/post that has any of those words in them, even if not related.

Try searching or "murphy bed" and see how many posts come back where truck beds are being discussed.

Would be nice to be able to "drill down" by being able to do further searches within the results.

Old 03-25-2020, 04:29 PM   #8

You must be doing something wrong

Quote:
I tried the "Quotes" first. Got 12 pages. Many had "bed" all by itself and totally unrelated to "Murphy".

As i stated, whatever words are in they search box will return any article/post that has any of those words in them, even if not related.

Try searching or "murphy bed" and see how many posts come back where truck beds are being discussed.

Would be nice to be able to "drill down" by being able to do further searches within the results.
You must be doing something wrong. You did put a single set of quotes around the two words, right? Like this: "murphy bed"
Not like this: "murphy" "bed"
And you're using a real web browser, not the "app", right?

I just did it. Attached are the first three pages.

Try this alternate way to produce the same query, which should give results identical to mine. Open your browser to Google.com . In the query field, enter this query:
site:forestriverforums.com "murphy bed"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mb1.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	225750   Click image for larger version

Name:	mb2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	225751   Click image for larger version

Name:	mb3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	225752  
Old 03-25-2020, 04:35 PM   #9

Back to the original problem....

A fold in half mattress is used by many rvs that have slideouts. Haven't heard of anyone that loved the original fold in half mattress. I don't know if it has to do with the hardness or the 'fold in half' feature.

Now they make inflatable mattresses that are used in many pull out couches and that might be a solution, but I have no idea where you buy one.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:04 PM   #10

Someone has to make bifold replacement mattresses. I put on a 2” memory foam topper and that helped some but it still sucks to sleep on. If no one has any suggestions I may try adding a pillow top topper onto of the memory foam topper.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfunk View Post
Someone has to make bifold replacement mattresses. I put on a 2” memory foam topper and that helped some but it still sucks to sleep on. If no one has any suggestions I may try adding a pillow top topper onto of the memory foam topper.
There are a lot of "Mattress Factories" around and I'm not talking about the name of a Chain store selling Mattresses. The town I live in has one that makes custom mattresses, boat, and RV cushions.

Might be worthwhile checking to see if there is one near you. My local "factory" makes all kinds of mattresses for RV's from old school inner-spring to multi layer foam. If you have one near I'd consider paying them a visit and see what they can offer.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:19 AM   #12

The Original Mattress Factory

Quote:
There are a lot of "Mattress Factories" around and I'm not talking about the name of a Chain store selling Mattresses. The town I live in has one that makes custom mattresses, boat, and RV cushions.

Might be worthwhile checking to see if there is one near you. My local "factory" makes all kinds of mattresses for RV's from old school inner-spring to multi layer foam. If you have one near I'd consider paying them a visit and see what they can offer.
I AM talking about a chain called The Original Mattress Factory. They have dozens of stores east of the Mississippi (and one in MN). And they DO make custom mattresses. They will ship anywhere in the country.

Some of their retail operations and all? of their factories are currently closed due to COVID-19.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:12 AM   #13

I would love to see a picture of the folded murphy bed. I have a MicroLite with the window behind the murphy bed. I would really like a bed that allows me to still see the window when the bed is closed.
micro_jul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, replacement