RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #341
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
I'm going to be broke before this is over!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #342
Senior Member
 
HondoPatrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 179
This peer pressure is killin me... just ordered up my 5050's along with the AC converter. Can't wait to hang them up!
__________________
HondoPatrick
2012 Ford F250 Lariat FX4
2012 LaCrosse 318BHS w/4 Point Equal-i-zer Hitch
2 Wilderness Systems Kayaks
Nights Spent Camping in 2011 (19), 2012 (16)
https://www.armadillotimes.com
HondoPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #343
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 28
leds

Has anyone cut the wire between the control box and the plug that powers the led to extend it. And also the wires for the ir receiver to extend that one to. Was thinking about cutting those wires making them longer and bringing up the awning leg that is attached to camper then accros the awning fabric itself. Thinking if I roll the awning up the wires will roll up with the awning. Problem is I don't know what type of wire to use that will be small enought not to look all bunch up in the awning and will be big enought to handle the 6 amps Max power if I need it down the road just in case. Any thoughts.
l24x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #344
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chatham, IL
Posts: 215
Cootr68-please let me know how these work. Have a seasonal site and I'd like to put these on the stairs to the deck. All i need is a soft light so I know where the stairs are
jmswms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #345
Senior Member
 
cootr68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: central il
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmswms
Cootr68-please let me know how these work. Have a seasonal site and I'd like to put these on the stairs to the deck. All i need is a soft light so I know where the stairs are
Will do.
__________________
1997 Sierra m-27fls tt
1999 Pontiac T/A
2006 flstn Deluxe
2004 Polaris 330 magnum
Bear the Labrador
cootr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #346
Junior Member
 
toniundpetra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5
I just found a four lead phone cable AWG26. I want to extend from the transformer to the LEDs. My chart maps it at max 3.2A per lead accd to Google wisdom. Can I use it for a 5meter Led with 1.2A/meter? I think it should be ok. Comments?
toniundpetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #347
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by toniundpetra
I just found a four lead phone cable AWG26. I want to extend from the transformer to the LEDs. My chart maps it at max 3.2A per lead accd to Google wisdom. Can I use it for a 5meter Led with 1.2A/meter? I think it should be ok. Comments?
You lost me at hello! Lol
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #348
Senior Member
 
Rsgtivr6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Champlin, MN
Posts: 446
26AWG is mighty small, but we aren't working with an awful lot of current, so you should be alright if you stay below the ratings.

Also, I found this corner jumper on Amazon so you can bend around corners or over things!

Amazon.com: LED Strip Light Connector 4 Conductor 10 to 12 mm Strip to Strip Jumper: Home Improvement

Also good to do those stairs, you can get this;

Amazon.com: LED Strip Light Connector 4 Conductor 12 mm Ribbon to Cable, 2094: Home Improvement

That way you can reuse the cut-off strips to continue down the steps.
__________________
TV: '17 Ram 2500 Big Horn CCSB CTD 4x4
TT: '18 Wolf Pack Limited 325Pack13
Tow Acc: Andersen Ultimate Hitch 2 goose ball mount, AirLift 5000 bags and HD compressor system
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #349
Senior Member
 
cootr68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: central il
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmswms
Cootr68-please let me know how these work. Have a seasonal site and I'd like to put these on the stairs to the deck. All i need is a soft light so I know where the stairs are
From 35ft away.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120620_211838.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	15538
__________________
1997 Sierra m-27fls tt
1999 Pontiac T/A
2006 flstn Deluxe
2004 Polaris 330 magnum
Bear the Labrador
cootr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #350
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 22,845
I wish I saw those when I was doing my re-wire.
That is very cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsgtivr6 View Post
26AWG is mighty small, but we aren't working with an awful lot of current, so you should be alright if you stay below the ratings.

Also, I found this corner jumper on Amazon so you can bend around corners or over things!

Amazon.com: LED Strip Light Connector 4 Conductor 10 to 12 mm Strip to Strip Jumper: Home Improvement

Also good to do those stairs, you can get this;

Amazon.com: LED Strip Light Connector 4 Conductor 12 mm Ribbon to Cable, 2094: Home Improvement

That way you can reuse the cut-off strips to continue down the steps.
__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:46 AM   #351
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 21
my led installed under the awning on the wall. hooked into the front spot light so that switch turns them on and we can still use the porch light Amber for late night. really does a great job lighting the whole area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1953065222.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	15542  
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #352
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy6 View Post
For those interested in getting them faster (I wanted them by Memorial day weekend), I ordered these:

Waterproof 150 Color Changing SMD5050 LED Lighting Strip Kit RGB 16.4ft, 2038kit
Amazon.com: Waterproof 150 Color Changing SMD5050 LED Lighting Strip Kit RGB 16.4ft, 2038kit: Home Improvement


on Amazon on Saturday and received today (Monday) using Amazon Prime 2 day shipping free trial. Total cost was 39.00 including AC adaptor. Paid a little more but received them much faster.

I'm thinking about getting these as I have an Amazon Prime account. These are waterproof, has the 12V power supply and already has the 44 button controller. However what does the 2038 kit mean? Are these not 5050 LED's?
cdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #353
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbus View Post
I'm thinking about getting these as I have an Amazon Prime account. These are waterproof, has the 12V power supply and already has the 44 button controller. However what does the 2038 kit mean? Are these not 5050 LED's?
I think that is just the order number, but not sure. Yes, they are 5050 LED's and came with everything shown on the link. The 3M tape has held and they have worked great since Memorial day. The remote is a little weak though, range is only about 10 feet and you need to aim right at the receiver for it to work, but overall they are great and get alot of comments!
__________________
2012 Roo19
2003 Trailblazer EXT V8
2013 Ford Super Crew F-150 EXT
Cincy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #354
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,367
I think the numbers represent the brightness of the LED. The 5050 being brighter than the 2038. I could be wrong, it's happened before.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #355
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Independence,LA
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdagro View Post
Yea. I have some time restraints tho. They are only 45 miles or so from me. Plus it has a plug & play mode?? Blinks to music. Thought that might be good during tailgating. We will see. Steve
I got mine in on Wednesday and had my daughter hold them against the camper below the awning track that night to see the effect. Bringing them back to P.O. today. With my full body dark paint job and black w/2 shades of grey awning, even the brightest white doesn't give me much more than a highlight. And for $42 I was expecting a little more. Seems like they would work a lot better on a white or more reflective color on both camper and awning. I am sure I can find something else to blow that $40 on. Steve
sdagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #356
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 57
Okay, I have to ask. What are you all using to affix your lights to your camper? I bought some car moulding tape from the auto store thinking, if it can keep a piece of molding on a car, then it surely will be able to keep my lights on my camper. The problem is that I can't get it, or anything else for that matter, to attach to the plastic casing of the LED light string. The stuff sticks great to the camper, but the lights fall right off of the tape...and that is with it just sitting there! I can't imagine trying to drive down the road and them stay on!!
Anyway, any suggestions on what tape, or other method, you all use to attach your lights would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to try to take some sandpaper and rough up the backside of the light sleeve and see if that will make it adhere better.
__________________
Larry
.........
Killman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #357
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 22,845
The ones I got came with 3M double sided tape already on it. Just peeled off the covering and stuck it right onto the camper.

2 trips and nothing budged. (In fact I was less than even when I put the first strip on and when I tried to move it up a little bit to fit the second string it was on solid and unmovable.)

I would need a heat gun to move it; I think.
__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #358
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdagro

I got mine in on Wednesday and had my daughter hold them against the camper below the awning track that night to see the effect. Bringing them back to P.O. today. With my full body dark paint job and black w/2 shades of grey awning, even the brightest white doesn't give me much more than a highlight. And for $42 I was expecting a little more. Seems like they would work a lot better on a white or more reflective color on both camper and awning. I am sure I can find something else to blow that $40 on. Steve
Not sure what ones you bought but I got the ones the op got from ebay and they are brighter than I expected.
Even dimmed on the lowest setting there still pretty bright.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #359
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killman View Post
Okay, I have to ask. What are you all using to affix your lights to your camper? I bought some car moulding tape from the auto store thinking, if it can keep a piece of molding on a car, then it surely will be able to keep my lights on my camper. The problem is that I can't get it, or anything else for that matter, to attach to the plastic casing of the LED light string. The stuff sticks great to the camper, but the lights fall right off of the tape...and that is with it just sitting there! I can't imagine trying to drive down the road and them stay on!!
Anyway, any suggestions on what tape, or other method, you all use to attach your lights would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to try to take some sandpaper and rough up the backside of the light sleeve and see if that will make it adhere better.
Used the outdoor 2 sided tape from Lowes. Mine came with the 3m tape already installed and fell off after about 4 days. Luckily we hadn't gone anywhere. Bought the outdoor tape, split it on my band saw and used it. It's been on for a month and we've towed in rain and it has rained for 2 days and 2 nights here in FL and they are still stuck tight. Highly recommend the outside tape.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #360
Senior Member
 
punkaccountant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 367
I'm thinking about getting a strand of these lights to install under the awning directly on my TT and was wondering if these get hot like the 5050 paddle lights that install in your light fixtures? Those can get pretty hot. If so, 1) will this eventually affect the sticky tape and 2) will that heat hurt the gelcoat or sides of the TT?
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
awning, led pad

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 AM.