Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #741
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsey View Post
I can't tell 100%, is that with the awning rolled up and the lights just under it? If so, how does it look\ function with the awning extended?
They work great with the awning extended, the lights aren't shining in your eyes and you don't have to unplug them when you roll the awning up. I put mine on a light sensitive photo eye and wired them into the useless factory outside step light along with adding some ribbon lights to the step cutout on the same circuit.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #742

We just pulled the trigger on these. $48.43

I know...I know..they are more, but I was thinking the R. F. controller
will be an easier install.

http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-RG...item231e087875

Phil & Deb
2013 nights camped 1
Pawpawtravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #743

Quote:
I can't tell 100%, is that with the awning rolled up and the lights just under it? If so, how does it look\ function with the awning extended?
Looks super with Awning deployed,even more White area for it to display from. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #744

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
They work great with the awning extended, the lights aren't shining in your eyes and you don't have to unplug them when you roll the awning up. I put mine on a light sensitive photo eye and wired them into the useless factory outside step light along with adding some ribbon lights to the step cutout on the same circuit.
I figured they would. I am debating on putting the second set I have there and getting rid of the one on the roller tube. Actually, the ones on the tube have to come off anyway as the waterproofing has let me down... I'm tempted to give them a shot up there, the wiring should be easier that way if nothing else.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #745

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietTimes View Post
And your Costco is ...... where? and the price?

Thanks.
I found them at the Burnsville, MN store. I think they were about $35.00. I just tried to find them on the Costco website but they weren't listed so it may have been one of those special deals only offered in certain stores, but it did come with an offer for a discount if you wanted to buy an additional strip of lights on the Sylvania website with a special code for Costco shoppers so you would think Sylvania and Costco made a deal.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #746

Quote:
I figured they would. I am debating on putting the second set I have there and getting rid of the one on the roller tube. Actually, the ones on the tube have to come off anyway as the waterproofing has let me down... I'm tempted to give them a shot up there, the wiring should be easier that way if nothing else.
I could not find any Pics. of the awning side of your unit.If you noticed on our V-Lite a (Scare lite) on the right side. Perfect place to put the controler for power (Water Proof) and reciever antenna. The (Scare Lites) on that side are Very Offensive to use,for us or our fellow campers any way! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #747

OldCoot - How do they roll up connected

Quote:
How do you connect them to the power so that you don't have to unplug them? I have thought about that but couldn't figure out how the connection wire would not get all twisted up or need X number of feet extra to roll up with the awning.
MarcusN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #748
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusN View Post

How do you connect them to the power so that you don't have to unplug them? I have thought about that but couldn't figure out how the connection wire would not get all twisted up or need X number of feet extra to roll up with the awning.
Attach them to the side of your camper.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #749
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusN View Post
Like Turbs said, except mine are attached to the rail under the awning that is screwed to the side. I also used the 3M outdoor double sided tape.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #750
Site Team - Lou

Here is how I did mine. I used two strips and paralleled them at the ends.

I ran a 4 wire (TELCO type) down the awning wall mount inside the camper through the existing awning motor power hole. The remote sensor came back out through the same hole as well.

12 VDC was tapped off a light in the basement storage area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1997.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	26429   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1052.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	26430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper and Ohio AF Museum 2012 023.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	26431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper and Ohio AF Museum 2012 018.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	26432  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #751

Looks great Herk.

Question #1 - What do you think it would look like if I put a RGB strip placed on the trailer itself just below the rail and a white only strip on the underside of the rail. That way even when the awning is closed the lights can be used.

If I understand you correctly your strips are RGB doubled and looks like you get pretty bright white light with those. So perhaps buying two different strips is unnecessary.

Have you seen the DREAM strip with 133 controller? A fair bit more money but reading the list it can do pretty cool things.

Question #2 - Unfortunately there are NO lights in our storage area. (Think we need to add one while we are chopping into wires here.) I do see wires going through and I think one is for the above bed reading lights. I think it should be safe to tap into that? Have done lots of 110 wiring but never 12V. Wires look different and I don't know what gauge they are. Any words of wisdom for this?

Thanks in advance!
Heather
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #752
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietTimes View Post
...Question #1 - What do you think it would look like if I put a RGB strip placed on the trailer itself just below the rail and a white only strip on the underside of the rail. That way even when the awning is closed the lights can be used...
You don't need the white only as the RGB with controller will also give you white. They show very good when the awning is rolled up if they are mounted to the rail.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #753
Phat Phrog

Quote:

You don't need the white only as the RGB with controller will also give you white. They show very good when the awning is rolled up if they are mounted to the rail.
I love the look mounted on the rail! I will have to have the DH do this mod when he attaches the new extension poles!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #754
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
I love the look mounted on the rail! I will have to have the DH do this mod when he attaches the new extension poles!
Make sure he uses Outdoor 2 sided tape. Shop Scotch 1" x 14'7" Two-Sided Tape at Lowes.com
Old 03-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #755
Phat Phrog

Ok
Old 03-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #756

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I could not find any Pics. of the awning side of your unit.If you noticed on our V-Lite a (Scare lite) on the right side. Perfect place to put the controler for power (Water Proof) and reciever antenna. The (Scare Lites) on that side are Very Offensive to use,for us or our fellow campers any way! Youroo!!
My scare light is actually under the awning, near the forward arm. I was debating on using that since I would be able to turn on\off with the light switch inside.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #757
Mod free 5er

Quote:
My scare light is actually under the awning, near the forward arm. I was debating on using that since I would be able to turn on\off with the light switch inside.
Good place to put the controller and drill a hole or cut a slot for the 'eye'. Solves the problem of 12v and also gives you a water tight place for the controller. You could also put a light senitive photo eye in it to make it come on automatically.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #758
Site Team - Lou

Couple things:

The controller is not waterproof. Mount it inside.

The white photo was with ONE strip! It is WAY brighter with two and I find myself dimming under certain occasions.

The pictured strip (I used) already comes with outdoor waterproof tape.

I mostly use the orange and white settings. (Will be much more festive on the 4th of July.)
Old 03-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #759
Phat Phrog

So Herk, with dual strips, do you play it with diff colors on each at the same time?
Old 03-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #760
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
So Herk, with dual strips, do you play it with diff colors on each at the same time?
No, just twice the light in the same space. It is VERY bright at full power.

The controller can handle the load from 2 strips. They intended for it to be 2 strips LONG; but the load is the same the way I wired it. (like being powered from the "middle."

Tags
awning, led pad