RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 06:15 AM   #1741
Wayne & Kim
 
Wayne & Kimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nassau County, FL
Posts: 175
My first try at uploading a video failed :-(

Maybe I'll try again after work.
__________________
Wayne and Kim

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2011 Ford F250 King Ranch 4x2 Diesel, added springs
Nights camped: 2014 - 32; 2013 - 23
Wayne & Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #1742
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 22,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wswkmw View Post
My first try at uploading a video failed :-(

Maybe I'll try again after work.
File size too big. 500 meg limit.

If you are saving in M4V you need to use a converter like handbrake to convert to MP4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Video File Size.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	56764  
__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:40 AM   #1743
Senior Member
 
textman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 187
Not sure how that happened! Somehow Wswkmw's video got posted to my post??? Nice work Wswkmw. I am looking at doing the same thing to my CC. Was wondering about the LED channel folks have been using. Going to run mine through the hole the power awning wires go through. Will come out just under the kick step to the left of the dresser. I am then running the wires under the dresser and down through the hole the water lines go into the front basement. Going to tie into the units main 12 volt power bar/ground (where the resettable fuses are). Should be a real clean install when I'm done. Got to order all my parts and pieces. Going to go with the RF controller, but can't decide on which one of those either!
__________________
2012 Cedar Creek 36B4
2007 Ford F-350 Dually Crew Cab 6.0 Studded
Loving Life
textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:46 AM   #1744
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 22,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by textman View Post
Going to go with the RF controller, but can't decide on which one of those either!
FYI - I bought the RF controller with the intention of replacing my 44 button one. After "breadboard" hooking it up; I found I liked the 44 button one a little better. Gonna try using the RF one I bought in a friend's installation when he gets his new toyhauler.
__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #1745
Senior Member
 
textman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
FYI - I bought the RF controller with the intention of replacing my 44 button one. After "breadboard" hooking it up; I found I liked the 44 button one a little better. Gonna try using the RF one I bought in a friend's installation when he gets his new toyhauler.
Herk, guess the 44 button lets your have more color hues?
__________________
2012 Cedar Creek 36B4
2007 Ford F-350 Dually Crew Cab 6.0 Studded
Loving Life
textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #1746
Senior Member
 
grege's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 267
I wish you could program multiple colors to change with these. Would be nice at holidays or game time to match your mood or team (ie red, white, blue changing for 4th of July). Anybody find one that does that?
__________________
'12 Ford F150 Lariat Super Crew
'17 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH (Previous '13 Roo 21SS)
2016 Nights camped: 7
2015 Nights camped: 21
2014 Nights camped: 18
2013 Nights camped: 26
grege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #1747
Senior Member
 
B D HOWie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lake Wales
Posts: 279
My solution to awning lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by textman View Post
OK after spending days reading this thread. I would like to know the opinions of the folks who used the channel to mount their LEDs. was looking at this channel
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/66312/KLUS-B1888ANODL.html

Notice most folks are using the GIP, which seems to be wider. Was wanted to see what others think?
Thanks
Textman
You may want to look on eBay to see what price you can find. I purchased 4 four foot sections and including shipping paid slightly over $60 shipped from Miami.
Search "led profile". There are many different ones as you probably are aware. I went with the "I" profile because I wanted to angle them at 45 degrees. I used 3M all weather tape and a small screw countersunk every two feet. Filled top of channel with caulking to keep it from holding water.


Paul
Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB
on 2012 Chevrolet 4500
Using FR app
__________________
Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB

on 2012 4500 Chevrolet Chassis
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #1748
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 22,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by textman View Post
Herk, guess the 44 button lets your have more color hues?
Actually, the RF one has "infinite" colors since you change the colors by sliding your finger around a ring. Then there are "mode" switches.

It is just overly complicated for our needs.

For RGB LED Strip Light Wireless 12 24V RF Touch Panel 9A RGB Remote Control | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	56800  
__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:23 PM   #1749
Wayne & Kim
 
Wayne & Kimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nassau County, FL
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by textman View Post
Not sure how that happened! Somehow Wswkmw's video got posted to my post??? Nice work Wswkmw. I am looking at doing the same thing to my CC. Was wondering about the LED channel folks have been using. Going to run mine through the hole the power awning wires go through. Will come out just under the kick step to the left of the dresser. I am then running the wires under the dresser and down through the hole the water lines go into the front basement. Going to tie into the units main 12 volt power bar/ground (where the resettable fuses are). Should be a real clean install when I'm done. Got to order all my parts and pieces. Going to go with the RF controller, but can't decide on which one of those either!

Thanks textman! have no idea how my video ended up on your post! I guess when I mess things up I do it in a big way - considering neither can be viewed!

I didn't do a channel - just put the strips up to that small rail the awning is attached to, used 3m molding tape, seems like it's going to hold up well but only time will tell.

I was going to try to go in thru the awning power wires go in but could not figure where they actually went beyond the exterior wall. I didn't see any kick-plate near the dresser or anywhere else either. I could still go that route if I figure out where things go, but will go down right side to step light otherwise.
__________________
Wayne and Kim

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2011 Ford F250 King Ranch 4x2 Diesel, added springs
Nights camped: 2014 - 32; 2013 - 23
Wayne & Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #1750
Senior Member
 
textman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 187
Herk, in your attached pics I see in your T connector that you have a male coupler in one end. Did you solder that or will those connector hold those. Also i see your phone cable you used inside the female extension cable, again did you solder that? I am trying to figure out the best way to use the 4 strand rgb extension cable (no finished ends) So I can attach it to the LED strips themselves.
__________________
2012 Cedar Creek 36B4
2007 Ford F-350 Dually Crew Cab 6.0 Studded
Loving Life
textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #1751
Wayne & Kim
 
Wayne & Kimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nassau County, FL
Posts: 175
Turns out I actually did post the video correctly (aside from somehow putting it on Textman's post). I just can't view it from my iPad. Saw it just fine on my PC.

Yaaay me! :-)
__________________
Wayne and Kim

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2011 Ford F250 King Ranch 4x2 Diesel, added springs
Nights camped: 2014 - 32; 2013 - 23
Wayne & Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #1752
Wayne & Kim
 
Wayne & Kimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nassau County, FL
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by grege View Post
I wish you could program multiple colors to change with these. Would be nice at holidays or game time to match your mood or team (ie red, white, blue changing for 4th of July). Anybody find one that does that?
It looks like these might do what you want and more. A little pricey though .

SWDC series Dream-Color Flexible RGB LED Strip - 12 Volt DC


SWDC series Dream-Color Flexible RGB LED Strip - 12 Volt DC | LED Light Strips & Light Bars | Super Bright LEDs | Super Bright LEDs
__________________
Wayne and Kim

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2011 Ford F250 King Ranch 4x2 Diesel, added springs
Nights camped: 2014 - 32; 2013 - 23
Wayne & Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #1753
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 22,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by textman View Post
Herk, in your attached pics I see in your T connector that you have a male coupler in one end. Did you solder that or will those connector hold those. Also i see your phone cable you used inside the female extension cable, again did you solder that? I am trying to figure out the best way to use the 4 strand rgb extension cable (no finished ends) So I can attach it to the LED strips themselves.
Not sure which post you were talking about.

I always used the pre wired end to do my connections.

They were always female.

The Receiver female sockets were exactly the diameter of the 4 conductor telephone cable I used. I took that photo so I know what wires I used for what color LED string.

Soldering the LED ribbon I selected is a bear due to the molded plastic covering. It has a tendency to peel up the printed circuit when you cut it free. They make a connector you just snap on; but I think it is for the other type (not waterproof) of ribbon.
__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #1754
Senior Member
 
textman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 187
This pic...





Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Not sure which post you were talking about.

I always used the pre wired end to do my connections.

They were always female.

The Receiver female sockets were exactly the diameter of the 4 conductor telephone cable I used. I took that photo so I know what wires I used for what color LED string.

Soldering the LED ribbon I selected is a bear due to the molded plastic covering. It has a tendency to peel up the printed circuit when you cut it free. They make a connector you just snap on; but I think it is for the other type (not waterproof) of ribbon.
__________________
2012 Cedar Creek 36B4
2007 Ford F-350 Dually Crew Cab 6.0 Studded
Loving Life
textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #1755
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 22,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by textman View Post
This pic...
Ah! No I just jammed them in and taped over them. Lasted for 2 seasons. Just rewired everything and soldered them to a 4 pin header and taped the header in place.
__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:54 PM   #1756
Senior Member
 
textman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Ah! No I just jammed them in and taped over them. Lasted for 2 seasons. Just rewired everything and soldered them to a 4 pin header and taped the header in place.
Thank ya.
__________________
2012 Cedar Creek 36B4
2007 Ford F-350 Dually Crew Cab 6.0 Studded
Loving Life
textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #1757
Senior Member
 
crunchman12001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Posts: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wswkmw View Post
It looks like these might do what you want and more. A little pricey though .

SWDC series Dream-Color Flexible RGB LED Strip - 12 Volt DC


SWDC series Dream-Color Flexible RGB LED Strip - 12 Volt DC | LED Light Strips & Light Bars | Super Bright LEDs | Super Bright LEDs
Those are crazy prices. $40 bucks on ebay here.
Magic Dream Color 5050 RGB LED Strip 5M 6803 IC Chip 133 Change RF Controller | eBay
__________________
2017 Salem Villa Estate 395RET-
2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 295RLDS- Sold
2015 F-250 FX4
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #1758
Wayne & Kim
 
Wayne & Kimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nassau County, FL
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
Good looking out for us Crunchman! Much better deal there.

After watching the video for those on YouTube, I'm having a bit of buyers remorse - they look awesome! But I'll keep those in mind for replacement or possibly for home use.

Wayne
__________________
Wayne and Kim

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2011 Ford F250 King Ranch 4x2 Diesel, added springs
Nights camped: 2014 - 32; 2013 - 23
Wayne & Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #1759
Senior Member
 
cstover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Where the USCG sends us.
Posts: 371
Just bought a set to replace the one I have now.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #1760
Senior Member
 
jtstromsburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Stromsburg, Nebraska
Posts: 1,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
Are these waterproof for outdoors? I think all LED strips basically are, but just not the controllers!
__________________
Joel and Teresa
2016 Sabre 34TBOK
2006 GMC 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
awning, led pad

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 AM.