Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #1241

Question

Like Herk and others will attach under the awning rail and run the wire down the awning support and into the pass thru.

I have identified a wire that feeds power to the hitch light. I have cut into that and run a wire over to where I will put the controller. However now that that is done not sure I connected in correctly.

I cut the red wire - so now have two ends. Then attached the end of the new red wire and nutted all three together. Ditto for the white wire. The hitch light works. But in doing this I blew a fuse. After replacing the fuse the red LED beside is still lit up.

What did I do? Is there some reset I should do? Maybe hit the battery disconnect then reconnect? Yikes hope I didn't blow something in the power panel.

Thanks...
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #1242

LKick, thanks so much! You are totally awesome.
1998 Coachmen Leprechaun 31Q

Tonk Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #1243

Finally Finished but NOW???

After digesting all of the information on this forum, I finished my finished the insdatllation of the light strip on my TT... I opted to install a dummy light fixture on the side of the trailer to use as a electronics box to hold the IR Sensor / receiver. Just before I attached the light strip with 2 sided tape I tested everything and it was a GO!.. I carefully attached the light strip being cautious not to bend or twist it in any way.. Once installed, I turned things on, and everything still worked OK with the exception of when I selected full GREEN when a small segment failed to light (less than 2 inches).. when other colors or shades were selected with the remote, these very same LEDs came on with the color selected and looked normal.. ONLY DARK GREEN WON'T ILLUMINATE... If it is something simple that I can fix, I will, BUT since everything else works fine, I won't hassle trying to undo the 3-m tape job that holds it up.. I have attached a picture of my Junction Box/Dummy Light and a picture of the light strip on GREEN... Any ideas or should I just carry on smartly and avoid Green?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1014.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	30066   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1015.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	30067  
STGCM(SW) USN Ret 30 yrs.
Adony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #1244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adony View Post
After digesting all of the information on this forum, I finished my finished the insdatllation of the light strip on my TT... I opted to install a dummy light fixture on the side of the trailer to use as a electronics box to hold the IR Sensor / receiver. Just before I attached the light strip with 2 sided tape I tested everything and it was a GO!.. I carefully attached the light strip being cautious not to bend or twist it in any way.. Once installed, I turned things on, and everything still worked OK with the exception of when I selected full GREEN when a small segment failed to light (less than 2 inches).. when other colors or shades were selected with the remote, these very same LEDs came on with the color selected and looked normal.. ONLY DARK GREEN WON'T ILLUMINATE... If it is something simple that I can fix, I will, BUT since everything else works fine, I won't hassle trying to undo the 3-m tape job that holds it up.. I have attached a picture of my Junction Box/Dummy Light and a picture of the light strip on GREEN... Any ideas or should I just carry on smartly and avoid Green?
Hi,
I would leave them be, unless green is your favorite color?
Nice clean install. Looks nice!
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #1245
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Sounds like the controller chip for that segment of LEDs has failed on the Green input. It could be an open (separation) in the printed circuit trace leading from the Green conductor to the chip. With solid Green selected, you might try applying pressure on that segment of the LED strip flexing it as much as possible and see if the Green comes on. If so, you'd need to do some coating removal and fine soldering to attempt to bridge the open.

The other option would be to go to the cut lines on each side of the "Greenless" segment, cut that segment out, and solder in a good segment.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #1246
Phat Phrog

You guys are so smart and creative!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #1247

Will let it ride...

I have decided to let the small area without dark green stay as-is... I have another segment that I could put in but who knows what damage I might inflict by trying to remove the strip from the 3-m double sided trim tape.. that stuff really sticks..
Old 05-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #1248

Quote:
Good looking install.

I did something I haven't seen yet on here (I think) and thought I'd share.
I wanted my LED strip on my awning tube, so I know I needed to hook it up after the awning was deployed. I already have an extension I bought from Amazon, and also wanted to utilize the outdoor light above the door for simplicity, but did not want to take it off or modify the internals to tap power so I can use the light as stock again if needed.

My brain fart is this - I used a spare bulb, broke off the glass and removed the filament, then soldered the included adapter plug to the exposed leads making sure I used heat shrink tubing to insulate them,
This is what it wound up looking like - pretty simple really.

Then just placed it all in the housing with the 4 pin connector and IR detector hanging out of a small hole in the bottom of the housing. I just need to silicone up the hole, and done.

I already tested it and it works great. Maybe this will help other forum members.
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #1249

Awniing Tube Attaching

How did you attach your light strip to the awning tube? Tape or a temporary mount of some kind?
Old 05-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #1250
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Any ideas or should I just carry on smartly and avoid Green?
I had this problem with one segment of my first strip. Although all worked fine before I mounted them; when I stuck them up one of the leds was not making good contact with the printed circuit. (there are 4 pins on each led cluster).

I believe it was a cold solder joint.

I pressed on each one until I found the one that lit up when I put pressure on it.
Once it lit up, it worked until I moved the trailer. I had to repeat the pressure after every stop to get it to work for about a week. Suddenly "It is fixed" and have had no trouble now for over a year of camping.

I think the cold solder joint is now "mooshed" together and making good contact.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #1251

What kind or gauge of wire did you use on a power awning and how or where did you thread it to connect to the trailer. I've got the LED strip, but can't figure out how or where to attach power. I'm a newbee so give some detail. Thanks.
happycampers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #1252

Cargo Hole

Just finished installing two three Bright White Led Ribbon Strip lights in the cargo hole...The factory only had one light in the cargo area, the other was in the service compartment...now with 300 LED's I believe this will solve my problem...Can't wait until it gets dark to go out and test it...Still have some more LED's to install...One goes in the pots and pans compartment for DW...the other around the inside of the compartment under the bed....think that will about do it for a while..
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #1253
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampers2 View Post
What kind or gauge of wire did you use on a power awning and how or where did you thread it to connect to the trailer. I've got the LED strip, but can't figure out how or where to attach power. I'm a newbee so give some detail. Thanks.
I used telephone wire (4 conductor) to connect the lights to the control. I used some red and black 2 wire I had in the garage for the 12 volt DC. It only needs an amp or so and wire size is not all that relevant for the power. Look at the 12 volt pigtail they give you. Anything bigger than that is overkill.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1054.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	30166   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0438_zps7144f908.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	30167  
Old 05-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #1254

Quote:
How did you attach your light strip to the awning tube? Tape or a temporary mount of some kind?
Just regular double faced tape. I didn't go with the fancy outdoor tape, as I don't expect it to get very wet. I can always change it later.
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #1255

Herk7769,
Where did you install the strip on the exterior. I've seen some attached to the trailer just under where the awning rolls up to store, others in the barrel of the awning when it is extended. Looks like your's is on the side of the trailer from the installation pic you took. BTW, great response with the pic attached, I see that the sensor poretion of the control is the only thing on the outside. If your's was installed in the barrel of the extended awning, how did you afix the long wire?

Thanks,
Happycampers2
happycampers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #1256
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Herk7769,
Where did you install the strip on the exterior. I've seen some attached to the trailer just under where the awning rolls up to store, others in the barrel of the awning when it is extended. Looks like your's is on the side of the trailer from the installation pic you took. BTW, great response with the pic attached, I see that the sensor poretion of the control is the only thing on the outside. If your's was installed in the barrel of the extended awning, how did you afix the long wire?

Thanks,
Happycampers2
Herk and a few of us mounted them on the bottom of the rail holding the awning, not on the fiberglas side of the camper.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #1257
Missing Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by zs325RES View Post

Good looking install.

I did something I haven't seen yet on here (I think) and thought I'd share.
I wanted my LED strip on my awning tube, so I know I needed to hook it up after the awning was deployed. I already have an extension I bought from Amazon, and also wanted to utilize the outdoor light above the door for simplicity, but did not want to take it off or modify the internals to tap power so I can use the light as stock again if needed.

My brain fart is this - I used a spare bulb, broke off the glass and removed the filament, then soldered the included adapter plug to the exposed leads making sure I used heat shrink tubing to insulate them,
This is what it wound up looking like - pretty simple really.

Then just placed it all in the housing with the 4 pin connector and IR detector hanging out of a small hole in the bottom of the housing. I just need to silicone up the hole, and done.

I already tested it and it works great. Maybe this will help other forum members.
Same way I did mine.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130511_222729.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	30183
Old 05-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #1258
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Where did you install the strip on the exterior.
Picture is worth a thousand posts...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF2058.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	30187   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1053.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	30188   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1055.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	30189   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2059.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	30190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper and Ohio AF Museum 2012 018.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	30191  

Name:	DSCF0750.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	30192  
Old 05-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #1259
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Picture is worth a thousand posts...

SHOW OFF !! It looks great as usual.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #1260
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
SHOW OFF !! It looks great as usual.
Thanks. By using the bottom of the awning attachment rail, the LEDs are pointed kinda down and not straight out (side mounted). Careful placement will allow a double strip if you want to.

The wall mounted one's I have seen have had a lot of glare when looking towards the camper (IMO).

I have not seen a tube mounted set, but if installed in the slot some of the light looks like it might be blocked and the accessory slot would be unavailable for sun screens or other cool accessories.

Tags
awning, led pad