Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #1

Talking Need more water capacity

Got a Tracer 3150 BHD with 48 gals fresh capacity. Seems like the family can easily drain that in a day. Would like more water capacity. I've been hauling extra in cans in the truck and adding to the rig when low, but anyone got a great idea's?
I know less use = less need, but looking for creative idea's here.

Thanks,
JCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Camp where there is city water or use someone else's!

Stop and think, you get more water capacity and then you'll need more gray water and black water capacity. Best to learn to conserve. Not what you were wanting to hear, but a much more practical solution.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Camp where there is city water or use someone else's!

Stop and think, you get more water capacity and then you'll need more gray water and black water capacity. Best to learn to conserve. Not what you were wanting to hear, but a much more practical solution.
Brilliant "OldCoot" but I "stopped and thought" as suggested and although I should have posted it, I have 60 gals grey and black capacity. So I already stopped and thunk it.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCamper View Post
Brilliant "OldCoot" but I "stopped and thought" as suggested and although I should have posted it, I have 60 gals grey and black capacity. So I already stopped and thunk it.
(2) 6 gal water jugs and you've maxed out the grey & black tank capacity. Problem solved and another created.

Just playin' with ya'. Lighten up!
Old 06-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #5

You cannot use water camping like you do at home. Won't work out well.

When we camped with our primitive popup we'd use 3 gallons of water a day other than toilet and shower. We only had a kitchen sink - so coffee, dishes, brushing teeth - 2 kids, 2 adults. We tried not to dump water on the ground. Had a 5 gallon jerry can for gray water and had to carry it to dump it - encourages conservation.

When we camp now we have city water, but have to empty our gray/black tanks via a blue boy. We do use the bathroom and at times shower. We can go 2 to 3 days on the gray tank and 5 on the black. I believe we have a 40g gray tank.

So while we can do better, we don't. We do better than at home though.

I"m told people can live on a gallon a day of water. What you cook and how (boiling noodles vs hot dogs on a grille), what you drink (bottled water/beer/milk vs water in the tank), how you clean (let the water run? no way!! Even showering - get wet, shut it off, soap, rinse will still use 5gal easy - can't imagine letting it run!).

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We don't use 34 gallons in 4 days and there's 5 of us.....
I think u need to crack down or shut the he water pump off.
Navy showers!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
You cannot use water camping like you do at home. Won't work out well.

When we camped with our primitive popup we'd use 3 gallons of water a day other than toilet and shower. We only had a kitchen sink - so coffee, dishes, brushing teeth - 2 kids, 2 adults. We tried not to dump water on the ground. Had a 5 gallon jerry can for gray water and had to carry it to dump it - encourages conservation.

When we camp now we have city water, but have to empty our gray/black tanks via a blue boy. We do use the bathroom and at times shower. We can go 2 to 3 days on the gray tank and 5 on the black. I believe we have a 40g gray tank.

So while we can do better, we don't. We do better than at home though.

I"m told people can live on a gallon a day of water. What you cook and how (boiling noodles vs hot dogs on a grille), what you drink (bottled water/beer/milk vs water in the tank), how you clean (let the water run? no way!! Even showering - get wet, shut it off, soap, rinse will still use 5gal easy - can't imagine letting it run!).
Thanks,
Your right we probably can do a little better. For the record we too do the wet, shut off, lather, and quick rinse. But we do have 6 of us in the rig.
We'll continue to use those extra cans, and conserve.
I also changed out the shower head to a water saver style, and we only drink bottled water.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #8

Getting the water useage down will take some time if you have never had to do it before. Funny story my brother and sis in law was out this year in there new wildwood. They lasted about 12 hours and gray tank was full. They had never dry camped before and sis in law was using water like were at a full hook up. It will be interesting 4th july weekend as we are dry camping 4 days. We have bets on how long they will last before out of water. He is bringing water cans just in case. ha ha ha I told him take a PT shower (you Marines out there will know what I mean)
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
FandRChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #9

I have to agree - reduce, reduce, reduce... In the mean time we carry a 30 gal tank from an old RV that is kept in the back of the truck - If needed I can drive to a water source, fill tank, and pump it into the fresh water tank.

Tank cost me $20 on craigslist and the pump was ~ $100 from Lowe's. Went with a 110 V AC pump as we use it for other purposes as well.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCamper View Post
Thanks,
Your right we probably can do a little better. For the record we too do the wet, shut off, lather, and quick rinse. But we do have 6 of us in the rig.
We'll continue to use those extra cans, and conserve.
I also changed out the shower head to a water saver style, and we only drink bottled water.
Someone in the family is letting the water run unnecessarily (likely in the shower). If you use almost 48 gals in one day, that's 8 gal/person. Ration the kids to a shower every 2 days? Time them in the shower? Use the camp facilities once and a while? If they know Dad is constantly adding more water to the tank, it will be very hard to re-train the habits.

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #11

Here is my solution. I plug the pump into the back of the truck. It works great

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130605_083005.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	32268

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130605_083019.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	50.0 KB