Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #1

Need some ideas for a crib

I haven't posted in a while, but I finally got my 02 Wildwood 26BH re-roofed and re-floored and sold it on down the road. I made a little money on her and was ready to buy a trailer I could camp in and not fix. So, after starting our search with a Salem 27DBUD we looked at about 20 others this week. Today I went down and bought the 27DBUD and brought her home. I think we are going to love it, but the wife says it just needs one thing...A place for a pack and play style crib for our 1 year old to sleep in. It is a temporary thing to get us to next summer when she can sleep in a bunk.

I have thought about removing the lower mattress and the plywood if I need to and setting the pack and play we have in the space, but thought I could build some type of crib on the bunk and use the mattress from the pack and play as the footprint for it. I have also thought of some type of PVC structure. I know there are a bunch of people on here who have been in this situation before. We would like to use the bunk so we can pull the curtain for nap time.

If anyone has thoughts, that would be great. BTW, we looked at the quad bunks and some other setups, but didn't find anything in our price/weight range we liked. And since I realize that forum threads are useless without pics, I added one

Thanks in advance,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Salem.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	15309  
Erikh425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #2

One more thing; I have been searching through some threads, so I should find something eventually, but if anyone has experience, specific details, or can link me to a good thread that would shorten my search.

Thanks
Old 06-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #3

We use two pack and plays for our twins. Great idea to convert bunk area. Assuming the top bunk folds and securely locks so there is no way to injure the child below, I would use the bottom bunk as is, and build a railing the dimensions of the width of your bunk house. And somehow attach it from the inside out so you don have holes in the wood on the outside to patch. Ours has doors, we can't even really pull the curtain or the air flow doesn't circulate threw it. Not sure how your set up is. Another security feature....the window and screen opens on ours fully exposing the outdoors. I have a 6yr old, 3yr old and 18month old twins - they have tested everything! Lol
Best of luck!
Newgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #4

We also have a baby (10mo) and had to come up with sleeping arangements for him. I will take some pics for you tomorrow if you like, but we just set up the dinette, remove enough cushions to fit the play yard, put down blankets in the bottom and wrap it in a fitted play yard sheet. Makes a nice thick sleeping pad as well as keeps the baby off the floor. This is for at night. During the day we put his yard, set up the same way, on our bed and let him nap there. We have the Summer touch video monitor and command strip it to the ceiling to keep an eye on him. Works great for us since we don't have any other place to make something at the moment. But next year he will just take a bunk with a roll over guard so it is only for this season.
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. The wife said no to putting the pack and play where the dinette goes. I am thinking of removing the lower rear bunk mattress and plywood and just setting the pack and play in there. I was just looking for a way to make it look more finished.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #6

Congrats on the trailer. We pick up our 30KQBSS on the 29th of this month. We have a 14 month old and are looking at similar issues as you. Even though we will have a bunk room, it is ideal for a pack n play. I have been looking onto making a crib type railing for the bunk. Not sure what materials to use. PVC seems relatively easy to make assuming it is sturdy enough.

I will be sure to post any other ideas I see or come up with myself.
forensicdeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #7

Not sure if your setup is like ours, but the baby gate fit nice across the bottom bunk entrance in our camper. Had to move the shade and put a towel over the window, but otherwise it worked really good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	babygate.jpg
Views:	3213
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	17375  
Turnitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnitup
Not sure if your setup is like ours, but the baby gate fit nice across the bottom bunk entrance in our camper. Had to move the shade and put a towel over the window, but otherwise it worked really good.
We have 2 year old twins and we have used this set up the last 2 years. The baby gate fit perfect. We took down the shades and used Velcro to hang a set of curtains.
wv campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #9

Just be careful on rushing the little on to the bunk.we put our 2 year old up there with a bed rail that ran from side to side with no gaps on the sides no gap at the bottom and screwed it to the bunk under the mattress thinking just an extra precaution. But I missed one thing I didn't think would be a problem. I left the bed rail 7" from the ceiling. She climbed over and fell to the lower bunk breaking her arm in 2 places. So she slept in a playpen for the remainder of camping season. Just thought I would share just to try and prevent it happening to someone else. But the playpen in the bottom bunk sounds like a great solution.
North Bay ONT CANADA
spud7378 is offline   Reply With Quote