Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2024, 03:14 AM   #1

Need to lighten the load

I am purchasing a Jayco Jay Feather and I will need to drop the weight and I DO NOT care about resale value. It will primarily be used to house our dogs and expensive bicycles during camping trips. My thoughts are to remove the oven/stove and range hood, shower, propane tanks and all associated equipment, water heater, couch, dining table, and dining benches. The shelves will be replaced with metal racks (lots lighter than wood) and cupboard doors will be removed and replaced with netting. The heating units, ac, microwave, sink, and cold water tanks will stay.

Is there anything else I can remove?
Kpal12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpal12 View Post
I am purchasing a Jayco Jay Feather and I will need to drop the weight and I DO NOT care about resale value. It will primarily be used to house our dogs and expensive bicycles during camping trips. My thoughts are to remove the oven/stove and range hood, shower, propane tanks and all associated equipment, water heater, couch, dining table, and dining benches. The shelves will be replaced with metal racks (lots lighter than wood) and cupboard doors will be removed and replaced with netting. The heating units, ac, microwave, sink, and cold water tanks will stay.

Why would you not buy a utility trailer for less money and put the things you need in? I’ve seen a number of people do it. trying to get my head around the logic.
MGD1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:12 AM   #3

Mainly because that would cost about twice as much as buying the camper and removing the stuff I don’t want. Also, utility trailers don’t have the pop out bed that I want and don’t have the window/ventilation I want because of the dogs.
Old 02-11-2024, 08:24 AM   #4

I’m not trying to argue with you and I don’t know where your market is but, the smallest Jayco feather is 21 K. An equal sized enclosed trailer is 9k. This is results of a very quick search it a dealer that has both in stock. Just saying……..
Old 02-11-2024, 08:35 AM   #5

why weight reduction.. ?

if you intend to tow with an under powered / light weight SUV
and you expect to keep up with high speed traffic

NAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH not a great idea!
Old 02-11-2024, 08:38 AM   #6

Is it a new or used trailer?
Odyknuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:48 AM   #7

I first would buy a bigger tow vehicle if you are concerned about being overweight.

But if you are wanting to do this I would buy any a few years older camper. It would be cheaper and a better bet.

Just be careful to not remove anything structural

We will be hard to help as this is a Forest River forum and Jayco is not a Forest River product.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD1961 View Post
I’m not trying to argue with you and I don’t know where your market is but, the smallest Jayco feather is 21 K. An equal sized enclosed trailer is 9k. This is results of a very quick search it a dealer that has both in stock. Just saying……..
I have made a camper out of a utility trailer. It is a lot of work going that route. Stripping a travel trailer would be way easier, still retaining the A/C, heat, water, etc. I’m sure it varies by state, but in my state an RV trailer license plate is half the cost of a utility trailer’s, although I managed to get my utility trailer designated as an RV.
Old 02-11-2024, 08:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
why weight reduction.. ?

if you intend to tow with an under powered / light weight SUV
and you expect to keep up with high speed traffic

NAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH not a great idea!
Arenít you jumping to conclusions? OP never wrote anything about their tow vehicle or driving speed.
Old 02-11-2024, 09:03 AM   #10

I found one Forest River and one Jayco camper both used and priced under 10,000. I want to drop weight on the trailer because i will not be using those items so why bother hauling them around when I could use the space/weight allotment for something I actually want. I have the technical ability to remove things but not necessarily the technical ability to build them.

So back to my actual question… is there anything else that I can remove that would further drop weight on the trailer?
Old 02-11-2024, 09:05 AM   #11

Quote:

If a heating unit in the Jay Feather is propane fueled, and you want to use it, you won’t be able to remove the propane tank(s).

If you almost completely gut the trailer, it might ride a little stiffer, as the springs were likely chosen for loaded weight.
Old 02-11-2024, 09:08 AM   #12

Good point. I had not thought of that. I see the heat in the Forest River rig is propane fueled. I assume that is the case in the Jayco option as well. I guess the propane stays
Old 02-11-2024, 10:00 AM   #13

My wife said I needed a hobby to keep me out of her hair so I decided to join this forum and others to share my vast engineering expertise and my opinions that, for once in my life are solicited. lol. �� �� after all that’s what you have done is solicit opinions.

I guess forum members may desire more details as to how you intend to use this rig. I know I’m curious as hell. Are we talking 2 dogs or 20? Are you going to sleep in it? What’s your tow vehicle? How are you going to power this? Solar? Generator? You’re keeping the A/c and the microwave so you need some sort of power system. Do you have a partner? What do they have to say?

Without this information I wonder: what about a small toy hauler and don’t worry about the whole tear out project?
Old 02-11-2024, 10:04 AM   #14
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD1961 View Post
My wife said I needed a hobby to keep me out of her hair so I decided to join this forum and others to share my vast engineering expertise and my opinions that, for once in my life are solicited. lol. �� �� after all thatís what you have done is solicit opinions.

I guess forum members may desire more details as to how you intend to use this rig. I know Iím curious as hell. Are we talking 2 dogs or 20? Are you going to sleep in it? Whatís your tow vehicle? How are you going to power this? Solar? Generator? Youíre keeping the A/c and the microwave so you need some sort of power system. Do you have a partner? What do they have to say?

Without this information I wonder: what about a small toy hauler and donít worry about the whole tear out project?
X2

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 10:37 AM   #15

We are avid (by “avid” I really mean obsessive) trail and mountain bikers. We also have 2 large (100 pounds each) German Shepherds that we bring with us on the trails. Sometimes the trails are too technical or too long for the dogs so they need to be crated in the camper while we ride. I don’t want to worry about them getting too hot while we are gone so windows are critical if we are somewhere there isn’t an electrical hookup. I have small solar ac units with cell phone alerts if things get too warm. I need to be able to put up to 6 bikes in the camper while we drive and set up 2 Great Dane sized dog crates when we camp. We are minimalists when it comes to camping so I have no problems ditching the oven, shower, couch, etc.

I can tow 4000 lbs with my vehicle

I can’t find a toy hauler small enough
Old 02-11-2024, 10:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Aren’t you jumping to conclusions? OP never wrote anything about their tow vehicle or driving speed.
asked the question and put in an obvious reply
so i did not have to wait around for an answer...

the word If at the beginning of the sentence indicates there may be another reason

If ... I had left OFF the if..
then that would indicate I am jumping to a conclusion
Old 02-11-2024, 10:46 AM   #17

This is a really odd post.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 11:11 AM   #18

We have converted several large stock trailers for use with long haul show animals. We add generators, heating/cooling and water systems. This would be comparable to your wish list. We also add custom flooring, pen railing/gates, and a sound system. Have to keep those animals entertained!! Most of our stock trailers have a tack area that we can also sleep in. So I agree with the OP, putting in the items you need, will be as expensive as taking them out of an RV.
My thoughts are that buying a different tow vehicle solves all the problems and allows you an RV that you can stop worrying about weight, and just modify as needed for your needs. A small toy hauler seems to be a nice fit for your plans........ Just saying......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 11:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Quote:
So back to my actual question… is there anything else that I can remove that would further drop weight on the trailer?
Poor OP - just asked one simple question, and look at the responses they got so far.

How about this: You can remove the awning if not needed. Also, you can save weight switching to a LIFePO4 battery if the trailer came with lead acid.

Quote:
I can tow 4000 lbs with my vehicle

I can’t find a toy hauler small enough
I totally understand this. I searched for toy haulers and the ones offered are way, way too big and heavy. That is why I made my own camper/toyhauler at 3000 pounds tops (I like my trailers under 3500 pounds). But the utility trailer base unit required an awful lot of work. I think you’re on the right track.
Old 02-11-2024, 11:38 AM   #20

How about the refrigerator? Mine is two way, running on LP or shore power.

Tags
light