Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #41

Carlise....had the same trailer and no issues.
BDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:50 AM   #42

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
LOL...

You aren't out here to make any friends, are you?
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:22 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
You aren't out here to make any friends, are you?

Why, because I call out those that are ST fanatics? It is quite funny hearing how only ST tires are designed a certain way and are the only tires that are built for trailer use and how those using anything other than ST tires are foolish... yet ST tires are the ones blowing up (you can't swing a stick without hitting a "my ST blew up" thread) and everyone who has switched to LT tires have never looked back.

Any the fanatics completely dismiss the idea of LT tires rated for trailer use.

It is very amusing watching everyone defend ST tires by saying the only reason they blow up are:
You drove too fast
You were overweight
You were under inflated
You don't have a TPMS
You don't zap them with your thermal ray-gun every 25 miles
The moon was full

... yet nobody with LT tires (or something bigger) ever seems to have problems. Lots of heads in the sand on this subject.

The unfavorable posts come from both sides, so your "friends " comment is just another "nice way" to get your dig in.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #44

To bring the thread somewhat back on track, trailer tires are subjected to different sidewall pressures than truck tires. Think about it; when you make a sharp turn the tires twist as opposed to rolling. The better the surface, the worse it is on the tires. I'd be willing to bet this plays heavily into the tread separation issues people report.

Do the st tires have a different sidewall design I wonder? It seems logical that they would, but I don't know.

Luckily my rig came with 16" rims, I will probably put lt tires on when I replace them if the price isn't too much more.
Otherwise st and I'll just plan to replace them more often.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:41 PM   #45

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Why, because I call out those that are ST fanatics?
No, because you have chosen to "pick a fight" with someone who was not defending ST nor offending LT. I simply stated my interest in the Endurance tire and as brief an explanation I could come up with as to why.

Quote:
It is quite funny hearing how only ST tires are designed a certain way and are the only tires that are built for trailer use
By definition, ST tires are designed for trailers, LT tires are designed for light trucks, and P tires are designed for passenger cars....I fail to see how that can be funny. Maybe others you have argued with in the past were not aware that P and LT tires are allowed on trailers, but I am not one of them (as shown by my post above).

Quote:
and how those using anything other than ST tires are foolish...

Please re-read your post and see who's calling who foolish.

Quote:
yet ST tires are the ones blowing up (you can't swing a stick without hitting a "my ST blew up" thread)
This is to be expected, considering the law of large numbers. This is also why I spent many, many hours researching and trying to learn as much as I could about RV/trailer tires. I very seriously considered switching to LT but in the end, I didn't.

Quote:
and everyone who has switched to LT tires have never looked back.

You got no argument from me here. I seriously considered LT tires myself before deciding to stick with ST. NOTE: I have never once called (or even considered) anyone "foolish" for choosing something other than what I chose for myself. At least not where tires are concerned anyway.

Quote:
Any the fanatics completely dismiss the idea of LT tires rated for trailer use.

I can't speak for anyone other than myself on this but I, for one, am perfectly aware that LT tires are rated for trailer use. It is my (current) belief however, that they are not the best tire for the job.

Quote:
It is very amusing watching everyone defend ST tires by saying the only reason they blow up are:
You drove too fast
You were overweight
You were under inflated
You don't have a TPMS
You don't zap them with your thermal ray-gun every 25 miles
The moon was full
I'm not sure whats funny about this either (other than the last couple which were obviously in jest). It is well known that these are the major contributors to tire failures of any type or design. Personally, I believe there is another major contributor that is usually not mentioned...I'll call it "abuse during use". What I'm referring to is the all too common curbing of the trailer when parallel parking, driving up/down curbs when trying to pull into and out of driveways and such, and turning the trailer so sharply that the tires scrub across the surface.

Quote:
... yet nobody with LT tires (or something bigger) ever seems to have problems.
Duly noted, yet not enough reason for me to switch (yet).

Quote:
Lots of heads in the sand on this subject.
This doesn't deserve a response.

Quote:
The unfavorable posts come from both sides, so your "friends " comment is just another "nice way" to get your dig in.
I'm not sure what you mean by "get your dig in". You asked me a question, and I answered it. You then responded with a snide remark. My response to that was the nicest way I could come up with to basically tell you to kiss off (I wrote out and deleted several other nastier versions first).

I had a feeling where you were going with your initial question and I almost didn't respond to it...I should have stuck with my gut on that one.

My apologies to everyone subjected to reading this trash.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #46

Quote:
No, because you have chosen to "pick a fight" ...

Wow. You're clearly passionate about this.

Since it does take two to "fight" - and you are just as engaged as I it appears - I'll just say "uncle" and not ruffle any more panties.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:23 PM   #47
King of the Road

Quote:
I expect that statement to ruffle some feathers.

As someone who has chosen to stick with (quality) ST tires on my trailer vs switching to tires that were not designed for this purpose, I have been, and will be, closely watching all reports about the Endurance.
Worked for several tire companies in my younger days. Won't claim to be an expert, but have some experience. And have a very good friend still with a major local tire dealer selling to truckers, contractors everyone that hauls something and needs tires. He's been in the business over 30 years and I trust his judgement. He and I agree about the ST tires. Less sidewall flex than LT or P rated tires.

Big rig drivers will often, because of cost use retread tires on their trailer, rarely, except in emergency on the tractor.

We've all seen pieces of tread on the highway. I can say that more than likely the tread came off a retread tire mounted on the trailer that was a radial tire rated for the tractor. This is caused by sidewall flex, good on the tractor, not so good on the trailer.

Won't say use this/don't use that kinda stuff. Your trailer your choice, do your own due diligence and decide for yourself.

My friend recommended these available on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N4CB9T2...I34GX7IAKS1EVK.

He got them for me at his cost. 5 tires with mounting, balancing new steel valve stems under $350.

Told ya he was a good friend.

Over 2500 miles and still looks like new tread, hauling 5 ton "lite" 5ver.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:14 AM   #48
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I don't know if LT's would be better, but I just got 2,000 miles on a set of GY Endurance ST tires and couldn't be happier with them. I drove them at 70 mph with strong crosswinds the second half of the trip. They held the road very well with very little sway. The next part of the test will be blow outs before 20,000 miles. My Westlakes ST's made 18,000 miles before I replaces them with no issues.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:05 PM   #49

Well crap I just put GY Marathons on this weekend. Found myself in a crunch over Memorial weekend with dry rotted side walls of stock tires. They were three years old with only about 2000 miles on them. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on the marathons and hope for the best. Know they handled much better than the stockers though.
Grisham91402 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, upgrade