Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

nest thermostat

Anyone consider using one of these in your camper and or home?

Looking for more info.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Anyone consider using one of these in your camper and or home?

Looking for more info.

Turbs
One of the local electricity providers here is giving new customers one of these when they sign up - looks neat on the TV commercials.

That's all I know about them.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #3

I helped install the Nest in a buddy's house. After it was installed the info on the thermostat was showing only ~5V. Phoned Nest tech. support and was told it needed (minimum) 20V AC from furnace to work properly. Nest thermostat wouldn't work with 4-wire from furnace, so had to run 5-wire to get 24V from furnace to new thermostat and it works great now. That being said, I don't know what the voltage you would be getting at the trailer thermostat for it to work properly.

Edit: I read all of your post and see you were asking trailer or home.
I have an Ecobee thermostat in our house and am pleased with it.
wingriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #4

I work in the HVAC building automation
97Powerstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #5

Sorry, (I do t like this phone). A big concern with these nest and other brands of tstats is they are connected to your home wireless network. Without properly setting up your wireless network, anyone with a phone or laptop can sit outside your house and hop on your network. The Nest has an unoccupied and occupied mode which can tell intruders when you are home and not home. Technology is great but everyone has to do their diligence to keep the bad guys away.
97Powerstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Powerstroke View Post
A big concern with these nest and other brands of tstats is they are connected to your home wireless network. Without properly setting up your wireless network, anyone with a phone or laptop can sit outside your house and hop on your network. The Nest has an unoccupied and occupied mode which can tell intruders when you are home and not home. Technology is great but everyone has to do their diligence to keep the bad guys away.
Got to agree with this (I know a thing or two about IT and security risks). If it was me I'd probably look more into a Honeywell programmable thermostat with Z-Wave for a home though. My reasoning is because that will also tie into home automation better allowing you to power on/off receptacles, monitor and adjust your thermostat, lock a house door, and even open/close a garage door (additional wiring requied). What can be really cool about this is if you couple it with something like TotalConnect you can tie it all into your wireless, add cellular backup and adjust/monitor from anywhere via a mobile app (monthly service fee required.)

I use TotalConnect for my alarm system (have the Z-Wave module but have not done automation yet). Love it!

But anyway, if you are just looking at a smart thermostat, read this:

http://lifehacker.com/what-can-a-sma...eady-472975733
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #7

Got one in our home.1 year now. Looks great. It's the iPhone of thermostats. Looks great and expensive. Overrated I think.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 12-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatared View Post
Got one in our home.1 year now. Looks great. It's the iPhone of thermostats. Looks great and expensive. Overrated I think.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Thank you
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote