Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2020, 10:45 PM   #1

New Juice Pack solar system

So we were at the KC RV show this weekend and saw a promo for a free juice pack show special if you buy now. Talking to the rep it sounded like it had to be factory installed. Now I'm a little worried that I'm getting this, because it looks like an aftermarket add on that was just thrown on. Lots of caulk and more holes in the roof. I'm wondering if the video I watched was factory or dealer installed. My dealer said it is factory and the FR reps also said it's factory installed.

I know I still don't trust dealers and even the reps - when selling is involved. This dealer has had this trailer on their website as a trailer coming soon, but description never mentioned the juice pack option. I'm wondering if the dealer is going to install it I'm starting to get worried that I wish I never would of gotten it after seeing the video. So has anyone bought this option yet, or is it too new. Maybe the video was from the first factory installed and the new ones are a little cleaner installed.

I know I should approach the dealer on this but wanted a little more information if it's truly factory or a deal let installed?

Thanks it advanced
jimk-ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:41 AM   #2

Hi,

The only thing my Google search on the Juice Pack solar option disclosed was that this is a 50 amp panel, with battery upgrades as a further option.

I'm betting most folks here with experience in real world RV solar use would agree that 50 amps flat mounted on a roof is little more than a battery tender. My view is that it is not very much capacity for replenishing typical daily use, particularly if the furnace is in use at all. But I concede that for some users in some circumstances, it might be useful.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:39 PM   #3

Thanks RichP,

Sorry, the link I enclosed in the first post was not very well highlighted or underlined, it's a youtube dealer talking about it - https://youtu.be/BJQrLAPO4xM
I was a little more concerned about the factory's drilling holes in the roof, screwing this down where wind will get underneath and probably flex/pull while moving at highway wind speeds, then slapping down caulk to help keep water out. It looks like my DIY jobs, and hoping the wire is true outdoor wiring

On the electrical side of things, FR is saying 55 hours of refrigerator on one battery and system usage. You still have the solar panel hook up that works with this system if you want more. The sales pitch is maybe you can get by on a weekend outing without the need for an electrical connection to keep your ice cream cold and a fw lights on.

I'm hoping that maybe some people have this and can give their initial thoughts and their experiences. Unfortunately, it may be too late for me, since it is already on order.

If someone does have feedback, do you know:
1) Is the ceiling reinforced with a parallel plate mounted to the roof for the wind damage that will probably occur.
2) If this is factory installed, do they have the wires in tracks nicely placed and hidden, from video obviously not on the roof!
3) It has a battery voltage display, is this in with the rest of the control panel or mounted somewhere else, like where the big battery disconnect switch needs to go that is included in the system.

Old 01-27-2020, 04:55 PM   #4

Juice Pack Dealer installed?

I am picking up our new Wolf Pup with Juice Pack this week.
I dunno if it's dealer or factory work but I'll find out.
On the Black Label pkg there is also a jack on the side for extra panels. I may buy some rollups.
There is also a battery switch on mine to kill any 12v load left on.
If I can discover where the panel system was installed I'll say but I'm sure at least the wiring is factory installed as is the also provided camera wiring.
Apparently Black Label is getting a big push this year and I got the gravy, all that was inside the basic packages on mine.
Bill Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:25 PM   #5

Juice pack

The juice pack is factory installed. According to the Sabre rep I spoke with it is something dealers asked for so they can turn on lights for customers and don’t have to plug into shore power. He said Sabre sends the trailer with a battery(1) and a charge controller and the solar panel to keep it charged up - FYI if you buy a rv with juice pack it should have 1 free battery from the factory. If dealer wants to charge you for it tell them it comes from the factory installed.
Mjeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:41 PM   #6

Thanks all

Yes we picked up the trailer a couple weeks ago. It was the day before pickup, before FR finally emailed me the MSRP window sticker. They were talking with the dealer so I'm guessing it took a few more days before they emailed it with the MSRP blocked out😕

Yeah it was supposed to be free from the Manufacturer for show deal, but dealer didn't give me any break on the price that was out on their website - He said the price was the show price. It's fun y it was listed for almost a month prior at the same price. I wonder if I should go back to FR Cherokee and ask for check(yeah right).

Here's the picture of what is installed and included in the kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5616.jpg
Views:	2840
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	223326  
Old 01-15-2021, 06:42 PM   #7

Have you used the Juice Pack and how did it preform for you?
WallyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:54 PM   #8

WallyGator,
We have yet to get ours out on the road in our 274 VFK but I can say for the last 3 weeks my wife has been going out most nights and working in it decorating running lights and the radio for 3 hours or so a night and even with snow on the panel a few days the battery is still at full charge without being plugged in (we are in the middle of pouring an extension on the pad with the plug in). She has even run the Refer a couple evenings. I would say at a minimum it's good for maintaining the battery. We are planning on adding an additional 60 watts to the roof using panels we had for our solar prepped unit.
Brad and Robin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:08 AM   #9

My FR Sabre 37FLH came from the factory with the Juice Pack already installed. I later found that most Sabre RV's come with this option, but a few are out there without it.

The 50W panel does a great job keeping the two deep cycle batteries charged on all but the darkest cloudy days. The panel they use is pretty good in my honest opinion and will still charge batteries on cloudy, but bright days. I wouldn't depend on just the one roof panel that came with it, if going for a long time without shore power.

Since my RV is solar panel prepped with connectors on the front for adding more panels, I purchased a 200W Renogy foldable solar panel. For me, its more of a backup in case we lose shore power while camping.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:01 AM   #10

Ditto on the case of losing shore power. The Arctic Wolf we're in the process of purchasing comes with this installed. All of our campsites have electric and we don't carry a generator. They say it'll keep the refrigerator going for a couple/ three days, but I would think you'd have to be very aware of your power usage to do that.
Robbie D. Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:13 AM   #11

It seems like FR is putting the juice pack on most of their new rigs. The OPs original post about this being a "show" special sounds more like a dealer gimmick in advertising rather than a free upgrade.
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:27 AM   #12

it is on most new models FR is churning out, and had seen this same advertising to lure in buyers in past RV shows.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:45 AM   #13

Anyone know where I can find the external port to connect additional\portable panels? We just received our 2021 FR Alpha Wolf 26DBHL with the power pack and want to connect additional panels. We bought ours from an RV wholesaler so we didn't get the "full tour" when it was delivered. Previous model year versions had it clearly on the side but that when they were made with Furrion parts.
rodbalinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodbalinca View Post
Anyone know where I can find the external port to connect additional\portable panels? We just received our 2021 FR Alpha Wolf 26DBHL with the power pack and want to connect additional panels. We bought ours from an RV wholesaler so we didn't get the "full tour" when it was delivered. Previous model year versions had it clearly on the side but that when they were made with Furrion parts.
Cherokee stopped adding external solar ports midway through the 2020 model year. Not sure why. Might be related to the Furrion kerfuffle (they ended their business relationship in 2020).

At this point, your best option for external solar is to alligator clip directly to your battery.
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDuB-IA2MI View Post
Cherokee stopped adding external solar ports midway through the 2020 model year. Not sure why. Might be related to the Furrion kerfuffle (they ended their business relationship in 2020).

At this point, your best option for external solar is to alligator clip directly to your battery.

Looks like I have one of the last to have one installed as my FLH is a 2020 model.

I bought a 200W Renogy suite case panel to go with my unit last year and it included the alligator clips to directly connect to the battery, but that sucks for those that don't have it. If your batteries are only accessible through the front storage bin, you're going to have to leave the door open while using it. Plus, it's going to limit how far away you can setup a second panel.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:32 AM   #16

juice pack

[QUOTE=WallyGator;2481166]Have you used the Juice Pack and how did it preform for you?

I used it this weekend. The dealer told me that it would run the fridge for 56 hours so I was really surprised that we lost power after about 8 hours. we were running the water pump, heater and fridge so it was drawing more power, but I was thinking it would last for a while. I was wrong and because it was dead I could not get the slide in. I am seeing after more research it is battery tender when the camper is not is use. I will be sure to bring the generator for all future trips.
Tsqr26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:10 PM   #17

[QUOTE=Tsqr26;2536484]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyGator View Post
Have you used the Juice Pack and how did it preform for you?

I used it this weekend. The dealer told me that it would run the fridge for 56 hours so I was really surprised that we lost power after about 8 hours. we were running the water pump, heater and fridge so it was drawing more power, but I was thinking it would last for a while. I was wrong and because it was dead I could not get the slide in. I am seeing after more research it is battery tender when the camper is not is use. I will be sure to bring the generator for all future trips.
The Juice Pack *might* run the fridge for that mythical 55 hours if there is almost no other draw, it is a very sunny day, and the ambient temp isn't too hot. The heater blower is a power hog. I'm almost sure that's what sucked up your battery, along with the fridge.
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:16 PM   #18

So we just picked up a new 2021 Alpha Wolf last week and dealer said it was solar/juice pack prepped, meaning all I had to do was buy a solar panel. Unfortunately I don't think it is solar prepped but I do think it came with the Juice Package as it has the solar panel on the roof, battery disconnect, volt meter, I believe to be the solar charger and bigger battery. I think that is the whole kit, but I do not know how to turn it on. The "charger" does not come on. Am I am missing something? Thanks,
hasher13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar