Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2021, 03:01 PM   #1

Newbie Clipper 17FQ battery questions

We bought our first travel trailer this summer - a 2021 Coachmen Clipper 17FQ. Have been out for several 4-6 days trips but all were at full hookup sites. Last weekend was the first time at a no hookup site and I stressed about battery charge level most of the time.
Unfortunately I didn't bring a multi meter with me and also have no idea how much charge is needed to power the tongue jack for several cycles to hook up the trailer and sway bars at the end of our stay.
I am looking for advice on how to modify/add to the OEM single battery (an Ultra Power RV24 - a battery I cannot seem to find any info on) to give me peace of mind when on a 5-6 day stay without hookups.
Just to cover "normal" usage of lights (are they LEDs?), water pump, fans (vent and furnace), awning, and tongue jack.
I would like to keep it simple and not have to be invest thousands of dollars.
Is that possible???
I would appreciate any and all advice.
Thanks
FV94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 03:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Do you have a 12v only fridge?
Your battery is probably a basic dual-purpose marine battery which isn't capable of lasting that long, unless you have an inverter generator or solar.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:21 PM   #3

Trailer has a propane/110v refrigerator.
Old 10-11-2021, 04:28 PM   #4
Star Ryder

battery power

I have a 2018 Clipper FQ, I recently bought a inverter generator but haven't had time to go boondocking yet. I used it in the drive way and it worked great. So I won't have to be concerned about running out of power. I even bought some Bear spray just in case. I'll be able to make coffee and watch tv.
StarRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:34 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FV94 View Post
Trailer has a propane/110v refrigerator.
Then your biggest power hog would be furnace usage. If you camp in cold weather with no electric hookups/solar/generator, that basic dual-purpose marine battery won't last long.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 10-11-2021, 07:59 PM   #6

Any thoughts on (a) using two 6v golf cart batteries in series versus (b) one 12v Lithium ion battery versus (c) two 12v group 24/29 deep cycle RV batteries in parallel?
I haven't yet researched what additional equipment would be required for each of those options to determine the overall cost of each option.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:55 PM   #7

Heavy!

Quote:
Any thoughts on (a) using two 6v golf cart batteries in series versus (b) one 12v Lithium ion battery versus (c) two 12v group 24/29 deep cycle RV batteries in parallel?
I haven't yet researched what additional equipment would be required for each of those options to determine the overall cost of each option.
Golf cart batteries are heavy--over 60 lbs each. And they have the same footprint as Group 27/31 but are taller. Do you have room to put two on your trailer tongue? Are your battery boxes tall enough? Will your trailer pull alright with that much weight in front? Is your tow vehicle able to carry the increased tongue weight?
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:05 PM   #8
EDR

Newbie Clipper 17FQ

I also have a 2018 Clipper Cadet 17FQ. I agree with bikendan. The 12 v deep cell battery will not hold a charge long enough for several trailer detachments, attachments and leveling. The power lift is a heavy draw on the trailer battery. I have had it die on me once. What I learned to do is keep the power cable attached to my truck with the engine running when I attach and detach the trailer (of course with my wife watching so that I do not accidentally pull out the power cable). Another issue that I had was over-extending and over-retracting the power lift and blowing the in-line fuse. This is easy to do. I marked lines on the power lift tube so that I know where to stop. I have a box of spare fuses on hand. I also have an 2200 W inverter/generator and use it when boondocking. It will run the a/c (I installed a SoftStart device), our small microwave and the TV. I don't use other heavy power-users. I have a 3-way fridge and run it on propane when boondocking. I only run the fridge on 12-volts when on the road. It will also drain the trailer battery very quickly if not using shore or generator power. I do plan on adding 2-6 volt batteries to the mix but need to read up on how best to connect. Future planned purchases include 2-100 watt solar panels.
EDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:40 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Golf cart batteries are heavy--over 60 lbs each. And they have the same footprint as Group 27/31 but are taller. Do you have room to put two on your trailer tongue? Are your battery boxes tall enough? Will your trailer pull alright with that much weight in front? Is your tow vehicle able to carry the increased tongue weight?
Larry, I'm pretty sure that the very common GC-2 6v golf cart batteries have almost the same footprint as a Group 24 12v battery. But agree that they are taller so a Group 24 box is too short.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:43 PM   #10

HOW are you going to CHARGE your new bigger & better battery bank....as nothing you put in there is gonna last for more than a couple of days of boondocking. Do you understand that you can only HALF discharge each battery and do you know how many amp hours a day you USE when camping? Your SINGLE group 24 (probably dual purpose) battery can be used to deliver about 40 amp hours before it must be recharged. It is small & merely designed to get you from one place to another where you plug in again. You need to start over for extended boondocking.
Here's a current draw chart for many typical items. MANY of these items plug into WALL sockets so to power them from your DC batteries takes 10x the AC amps listed.
https://www.lilacresort.com/applianc...ge-draw-chart/
For example the DC RV roof fan might draw 5 amps...so TWO hours of running would be 10 amp hours from your 40 available. But the 800 watt space heater drawing 7AC amps would be drawing 70DC amps or 70amp hours per hour and last only around 1/2 hour before your 40 "available" DC amp hours are used.
Once those 40 amp hours are used, ANY SIZE charging device (Charger, Generator, Solar) will take AT LEAST 6 hours of run time to put the 40 amp hours back.
May I suggest that before going too far with batteries...you figure out how MANY you need and how MANY will fit and how MUCH generator time you will need daily.
Install a VICTRON battery monitor and go camping to see what you need and then.... when to recharge and when you can stop recharging. You can also figure out what type of batteries you need to buy for YOUR intended purpose and budget and any other changes needed in converters etc. if you go with lithium or other designs.
If you MUST buy batteries first...then get rid of the group 24 and fit a pair of golf carts OR a pair of Group 27's or a pair of group 31's ...whatever will fit. Make sure they are TRUE deep cycles...golf carts ALWAYS are...but any group 27 or or 31 deep cycle battery might be a DUAL purpose battery which will last less than 1/2 as long.
SUGGEST any TROJAN battery OR DEKA/EAST PENN manufactured battery with model number starting with DC...for deep cycle. DON'T buy any battery that starts with DP or dual purpose or spends time on the label talking about cranking amps.
Good luck
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:47 PM   #11

in answer to Larry - There is room on the tongue for two 6v golf cart batteries. It would require a new large battery box. However, I have no idea what the additional 70-80 lbs would do to tow ability.

Some questions for EDR - what battery or batteries are you using with the inverter, and what is the make/model?

Thanks to both for their input.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:36 PM   #12

Two new boxes

Quote:
in answer to Larry - There is room on the tongue for two 6v golf cart batteries. It would require a new large battery box. However, I have no idea what the additional 70-80 lbs would do to tow ability.

Actually two new boxes. Same footprint as your current battery, but taller. (Thanks, Dan)
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:22 PM   #13

Why not just get a couple more batteries and carry them in your truck. When one gets low, swap them, out. Couple hundred dollars.
tom2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:12 PM   #14

Quote:
One 100 amp LiFePo will provide almost the available power of two new golf cart batteries. It will continue to perform at that level, where the lead acid will start to fade rapidly. Either is a big step up from the 35-40 usable amps of a group 24 battery but still not a full solution without some way to charge your batteries. Go to YouTube and learn how to install a couple hundred watts of solar, preferably on the roof, the cheapest route in the long run,or put a patch on the problem with a small 1300-2200 watt, inverter generator.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:24 PM   #15

Quote:

Some questions for EDR - what battery or batteries are you using with the inverter, and what is the make/model?

Unless you are throwing real brand name money out there,(lifeline, are high end or Trojan T105+) most any brand name pair of GC2 golf cart batteries will work. Interstate offers 2 or 3 amperage ratings, US Battery is still made in USA (I think). Penn Deka is good. Battery Plus stores have good choices. I go for what ever GC2s Costco or Sam's have. But, that said, one YouTube tester, I watch, swears by Walmarts house brand, for the money. My GC2 US Battery's with 200 watts of solar, on the roof, served my coach and modest use of my 2000 pure sine inverter for TV, Direct TV , DWs curling and low wattage dryer, with occasional microwave use, served us fine for years
Old 10-12-2021, 10:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Actually same footprint of Group 24 battery, but about 3 inches taller.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:49 PM   #17

I would like to keep it simple and not have to be invest thousands of dollars.
Is that possible???

You might consider a portable 100 or 200 amp solar panel. Fairly reasonable cost. Out 100amp in decent sun exposure will keep us in electricity if we dont use the heater and are careful with use. Pretty close to plug and play. We need to rotate the panel toward the sun occasionally during the day.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:59 PM   #18

Just following this thread and thought I would see what the current price for a 100 watt hour 12 volt lithium is and found this on Amazon. $399

https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Batte...a-901567943688
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:02 AM   #19

As a backup plan carry a set of good jumper cables in your car. You can temporarily power your camper with your tow vehicle in an emergency.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:34 PM   #20

By moving my propane forward a bit, I was able to mount a trailer tool box from Harbor Freight. It fits two golf cart batteries (in series) with room for some tools.
Your furnace is your big energy drain. We sleep in sleeping bags, we are camping after all. I turn on the furnace once we get up, and soon after that the solar panels start producing power. I seldom use more than 20% of battery capacity, and they are usually recharged by 1:00 pm. I have two 100 watt panels, one on the roof, and one portable. We never run out of power. I don't carry a generator.

Tags
battery, newbie, question, questions