Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2015, 06:30 PM   #1

Newbie, really really Newbie needs shelving advice

In my wildest dreams I never thought I would be a camper. We bought a 2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite TT last fall and have had it out twice. Love it BUT need shelving in the cupboard by the door and beside the bed. We have no idea what kind of wood to use or how to attach it. Seems too flimsy to put screws in. Any advice? I tried the sections that hang on the bar and they ripped. Need something more solid. Trust me when I say we are learning as we go and have no about using this trailer other than what we read online and in the manual and asking other people in the campground who are all so helpful and nice.
jeanniemcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #2

Pictures of what you have would help.Details about what you want to do. We will be glad to offer suggestions,just need more info.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:12 PM   #3

In my first trailer, I added wire shelving in several areas. Used the supplied brackets, and added screwes in every hole I could. The paneling is only 1/8" or so thick, so extra fasteners or finding "studs" are your best options in my opinion.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:50 PM   #4

try using peg board. cut two pieces the exact same size and place them on both inside walls. use the shelf tabs and adjust your shelf to the desired height you want. have not done it yet but this is one of my future mods i want to do.
muskoka01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:04 PM   #5
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Or, cut nice plywood to desired shelf height, one for each side of shelf, screw to existing cab. walls (they will hold a small screw), cut shelf, do the same again and stack on top of first one.....add stain.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:48 PM   #6

We bought a MicroLite 23LB last Winter. One of the first mods we did was to put adjustable wire shelving in the pantry next to the kitchen. We just did the upper part of the pantry for now so I can use it for awhile and see how it works for us before we do the bottom. We have camped only 1 time so far but I did notice that because the cabinet is so deep, with shelves, you end up taking things out in the front of the shelf to reach things in the back. We decided to put pull out drawers in the bottom part of the cabinet instead of more shelves.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:16 PM   #7

Good place to look for shelving ideas is You Tube
Vallgrlx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:10 PM   #8

Go plastic if possible. Diff stores have diff size shelving units that just might fit it, with some modification. I stay away from paneling b/c of weight and just looks too unfinished for the inside if my new TT. I have had good luck with the thin brown pressed board that's the about an eighth thick. I use stick on plastic hooks to rest the shelf on in the closet. So far works well and very light and inexpensive.
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:42 PM   #9

Love my 2013 Microlite 21FBRS .... I went to Walmart / Target with a tape measure & purchased quite a few plastic tubs for that pantry area and over the stove. Everything gets loaded in the house & placed right where it belongs.
For that little cubby in bottom of pantry area & under bathroom sink I just use empty 6 pack holders to arrange everything (one for soaps, one for sunscreens, one for flashlights/batteries....)
Extra towels & paper goods go under the bed along with the crockpot when needed. This trailer has so much more room than I originally had in my brain when we bought it.....
Going out this weekend ... have a sick cat right now so just adding an extra kennel for her to take her first trip with us .... will see how it goes.....

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:10 PM   #10

Congrats on the new Flagstaff. Welcome to the forum from Bainbridge, Ohio.
Feel free to ask any questions that you may have, we'll work through it with you.
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #11

I built a shelf for our bathroom due to no storage. Meadured what I needed, used shelf grade pine, polyurethaned it, and use the velcro command strips to hold it in place.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:00 AM   #12

Storage sloutions

We recently purchased a Coachmen Clipper 16FB. It has a wardrobe cabinet and 2 pantry cabinets without shelving. My wonderful wife solved the problem by buying Sterilite Modular storage drawers available from Target and Walmart. They are available in Large, 24 in wide x 17 in deep x 7 and 10in tall, and Medium which are 12in wide x 17in deep and 7 and 10in tall. The large work in the wardrobe for folded clothing and shoes. The medium work in pantry. They allow full access so you don't have to pull everything out to see what's in back.
Plastic shoe boxes also work well to organize stuff in the overhead bins.
Frankgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:23 PM   #13
Retired

type in wire storage shelves or Adding Pull-Out Drawers to Pantry in the Search button at the top of this page and you'll discover a variety of options from <$20 and upwards...depends on your preference.

good luck with your project.

Happy Trails

Tags