Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2018, 07:52 PM   #1

Onan generator exhaust pipe too low.

On my particular trailer (16 Fury toy hauler), the exhaust pipe hangs down about 7 to 8 inches under the frame and is not supported with any type of hangar. Going through a shallow ditch or swale means you are in danger of ripping the pipe off and potentially damaging the generator. I note that Onan has advised that a 3 inch clearance is acceptable. I am considering raising this pipe 3 to 4 inches which would provide much needed ground clearance. Was wondering if anyone else has noted this problem and has modified this pipe. Thinking of possibly having the pipe shortened and welded. Any ideas appreciated. Roger
RogerWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:54 AM   #2

As long as you keep the clearance there is nothing wrong with that, I wouldn't add any more bends or anything.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:25 PM   #3

Generator exhaust

Removed the pipe, cut off 3 to 4 inches and reinstalled. Everything looks to be good and much more ground clearance. Overall it was much easier than I expected. Sometimes things work out for the best.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:52 PM   #4

Glad to hear

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:19 PM   #5

Onan exhaust

Be careful about raising the exhaust pipe. When the generator runs for a while the pipe gets very hot and if it is too close to anything flammable like the undercarriage of your RV you could be dealing with a disaster.
Del Teter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Teter View Post
Be careful about raising the exhaust pipe. When the generator runs for a while the pipe gets very hot and if it is too close to anything flammable like the undercarriage of your RV you could be dealing with a disaster.
Onan recommends a minimum 3 inch clearance to combustible materials, so I was careful to keep this minimum clearance. I also added a support bracket close to the outside end of the exhaust pipe which adds stability to the pipe.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:38 PM   #7

Heat shields with an air space are easy to make and install if still worried.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Heat shields with an air space are easy to make and install if still worried.
Was considering a heat shield, but after checking where the pipe penetrates the floor, the pipe is closer to the coroplast than where I modified the pipe drop. So, since the generator was installed at the factory, why bother with a heat shield?
Old 10-12-2018, 01:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWo View Post
Removed the pipe, cut off 3 to 4 inches and reinstalled. Everything looks to be good and much more ground clearance. Overall it was much easier than I expected. Sometimes things work out for the best.
I did this too, after nearly tearing off the pipe in rough terrain. Worked out well.
ADVtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:19 PM   #10

I have a 2016 Fury 2910 and I have the same issue with the generator exhaust pipe. I never thought about cutting the pipe to bring it up a little, but now I am going to do it.

The grey/black dump pipe also hangs really low and I am afraid that one day I am going to rip it off on a large speed bump or going over rough terrain. My grey/black dump pipe hangs about 7 inches below the frame. I plan on reworking the pipe to bring it up closer to the frame.
MarcMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:48 PM   #11

I believe that I cut off about 4" on the generator pipe and I also added a pipe support where it extends from under the trailer. I didn't do anything with the drain pipe since it is so close to the wheels and shouldn't create a drag problem. I made sure that the generator pipe stayed at minimum clearance as recommend by Onan. Good luck with your mod's.

Tags
generator