Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2022, 10:35 PM   #1

One piece steps for a Salem Lite

Hi all
I have a 282RK and one side of the fold out steps pulled through the floor!!
My floor is the thin plywood and styrofoam version. My question is if I get the one piece steps is this “sandwich “ floor sturdy enough for these stairs???
My copilot is insisting on a step upgrade.
Thanks 🖖
George
Urge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 10:52 PM   #2

Is there room to approach from the bottom in order to reinforce the floor? If you go to the one piece drawbridge style step make sure there is room to unfold it wherever you store the RV.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 11:29 PM   #3

One piece step…..

I’m hoping a steel plate welded or bolted to the frame will strengthen it. I was SHOCKED to see this sandwich for a floor material!! I know it’s a”Lite” but give me a break!!! Have you done this upgrade or seen the end result?
Thanks
��
George
Ps I’m naturally 1500 miles from home and my workshop ��
Urge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:24 AM   #4

There is allot of force placed on the steps and structure when stepping on the bottom step give this product some consideration when fixing the problem. It works great I have it installed on my rig stops any shake and stress on the stairs.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...rt/LC96BJ.html
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:37 PM   #5

My steps were replaced with units from Torklift. Very nice and I'm pretty sure they will outlast the trailer being they are made from stainless steel and high grade aluminum. Mine were attached by bolting to pieces of angle that were under the door. Torklift also makes a version they call "uprising" that are a replacement for drawbridge steps and mount the same way. Benefit of the uprising over other drawbridge steps, you can deploy them in as little as 12" from trailer side and will deploy as long as you can open your door to 90 degrees.
Main downside to them, they are not inexpensive...
https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep...ution-uprising
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 12:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urge View Post
Hi all
I have a 282RK and one side of the fold out steps pulled through the floor!!
My floor is the thin plywood and styrofoam version. My question is if I get the one piece steps is this “sandwich “ floor sturdy enough for these stairs???
My copilot is insisting on a step upgrade.
Thanks 🖖
George
Investigate through bolts backed with a steel strap rather than just washers. Two or three bolts...perhaps 3/16" diameter, through the floor and backed with either a steel strap full width OR "fender/body" washers will be SUPER strong. You may need to remove some screws or "nails" in the coroplast to gain access, but that would be an indestructible attachment. Three bolts would be enough, and the rest of the fasteners could be screws....to fill all the holes in the mounting plate.

Use bolt heads taht match the countersink profile of the supplied screws, and paint the bolt heads to match the screws (if needed) before installation.

Absolutely use stainless steel (to prevent corrosion), and then use nylock nuts to ensure things stay together.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, salem, steps