RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-23-2020, 02:54 PM   #1

OneControl Upgrade

Is there any way to upgrade a system in a RV to add in OneControl? My 2021 Wildwood 36FL doesn't have it and I swear, I would love to be able to purchase the One Control and install it. Is that possible?
The Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:44 AM   #2

If there was an easy was to remove One Control from my MH, you could have mine for free. Walking from one end of the camper to the other to turn on a light isn't convenient. The phone apps are slow, buggy, and actually make the walk to the other end of the camper seem much easier.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #3

It would be tough. everything goes through it, all levelers tie into a controller, etc. I think it uses CAM bus technology though. This is individual controllers linked to the brain via a comm. bus. Each controller/system gets tied to that bus and has it's own power for the devices it controls. It's adapted from new automotive technology.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:12 AM   #4

and its about 1500% over priced for what it does.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:25 AM   #5

I am kind of curious as to what part of the One Control you would like to have.

Part of the reason I traded for this RV is that the last one had One Control and this one does not.

To me it is nothing but an overhyped hinderance to doing things easily. I was able to add light switches to the last RV so I could turn most of the lights on and off without having to wait for the thing to boot up and change screens twice to get to the light controls. The WiFi part of it was on it’s own network so to access it through the app meant disconnecting from other WiFi such as your internet connection, then connect to the One Control network then run the app. It simply was not user friendly nor convenient for me.
Cricket RX5 Golf(?) cart
DougW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:35 AM   #6

Yep, this is backwards from folks I know with One Control. Without fail, everyone I know with One Control wants to get rid of it. They continually have problems with it and have to reset the router/controller frequently. Especially the ones that do not have manual switches installed and have to use the One Control.
I will never understand why anyone thought this was a great idea.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Yep, this is backwards from folks I know with One Control. Without fail, everyone I know with One Control wants to get rid of it. They continually have problems with it and have to reset the router/controller frequently. Especially the ones that do not have manual switches installed and have to use the One Control.
I will never understand why anyone thought this was a great idea.

we have gotten used to it.
we know you can walk in and turn on under sink lights, lights over dinette, lights over sink midship, bathroom lights, or reading lights over bed by switches on the lights or wall for midship sink and bathroom.

for all the rest the wife says "Honey, will you turn on X lights for me?. (she does know how to use controller inside RV)

But I still think of adding a switch plate over the refreg (where my onecontrol panel is located) for kitchen, living room or bedroom lights, including dimmer for each.

it is nice for the jacks, awning and slides.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:01 PM   #8
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
we have gotten use to it.
we know you can walk in and turn on under sink lights, lights over dinette, lights over sink midship, bathroom lights, or reading lights over bed by switch.

for all the rest the wife says "Honey, will you turn on X lights for me?. (she does know how to use controller inside RV)

But I still think of adding a switch plate over the refreg (where my onecontrol panel is located) for kitchen, living room or bedroom lights, including dimmer for each.

it is nice for the jacks, awning and slides.

Than any other lights
I added switches for the overhead lights. Still pondering adding them for other functions.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:48 PM   #9

i have a limited access One control. no wifi portal to connect iphone. I wish I had that part so I could direct individual jacks from the phone, having to use the touch screen for that is a PITA. I have the remote and it shows the jacks on it but it appears to be a feature we don't have.

It does not control anything besides slides and jacks now
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:20 AM   #10

I have mixed feelings on the onecontrol depending on the day. If there was a switch to control the kitchen/living room lights as soon as you walked in the camper, the onecontrol would make more sense. Iíll probably add those at some point, as I just found out that thatís doable within the unity control board. I havenít found the app to be too buggy at all...I actually like it. As one person stated though, it does connect through WiFi so thatís a bit of a pain if youíre connected to park WiFi and have to disconnect and reconnect to turn off a light or operate a slide etc. Overall, Iíd probably choose it again if given the choice, but I understand how some would not feel the same. And it would be a nightmare to try to add aftermarket.
TruckDriver1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:39 AM   #11

there must have been a fix came out. on Android phone if you click settings, wifi, wifi preferences, advanced, turn on Avoid bad wi-fi connections.

Now every time I start onecontrol, it switches to the RV WIFI, than when I close the app it switches back to what ever wifi I was on, or to mobile data if no wifi.

but to get this to work, you might have to clear cache, remove program and reinstall. Settings, apps and notification, one control, click on storage, clear storage, clear cache, than remove program. then reinstall it complete with all the timeouts picking your RV, etc. Ha, but at least it works now (again)

Now I don't own any apple products so I can't answer on how well or not it works.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:59 AM   #12

KISS.

We have an early attempt at this system. Only controls the slide and levelers. We were disappointed at how little it did.

You can have mine!!!!! That is how I feel.

Cars have become so complex no one can fix them except the dealer, maybe.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:28 PM   #13

Do you have the panel installed? I have the same and it has the OneControl panel but the only thing we can do is use the auto levelers.
Sunflower0527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:18 PM   #14
David ďRedĒ Cross

We have it and Iím not a fan. Have to open up a cabinet door to turn on certain lights. One slide button controls all 4 slides instead of individual. The only thing that we do like is being able to turn outside lights on/off when we are sitting outside and occasionally remotely checking the tank levels. I would prefer to have all of my light switches on the wall tho. If you step away from the camper you have to reconnect the Bluetooth.
Red Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:37 PM   #15
Btm

One Control

Sorry to hear about those who have problems with One Control.

I have a Georgetown G T 5 motor home. My One Control panel in on the end of the upper cabinet to the left as you walk in the door. My main light switch is underneath the corner of the upper cabinet. All other lights are on switches located thru out the M H

This makes the controls at eye level standing on the floor just inside the door. When you touch the panel button the screen is on instantly. I can look out the door and watch the rear slide or use the Bluetooth connection on my I-phone to control either slide from outside where I can watch them.

Mine only controls:
Both slides one at a time
The main awning
The awning lights
Turns on/off water heater, water pump, tank heaters
Monitors the Fresh, Grey, Black and propane tanks

The only time WIFI was needed to make the initial set up. I am glad that I have separate remotes for T V, fireplace, A C, exhaust fan and radio.

I am pleased with my One Control and glad I have it.

Btm
CHF rear, CHF front, Sumo springs front
Btm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:19 PM   #16

I can not believe there is not a video or installation instructions to be found for one control WiFi. Not even a part number for it .I think I found it on Amizon
T Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade