Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #1

OneControl Upgrade/Modification Plan

After camping several times, have come to the conclusion that though OneControl is very cool at times, the lack of manual switches is unacceptable in lots of situations. For example, I have two elderly parents visiting and going to stay in my motorhome, and there is no way that I can teach my Dad (who has Alzheimers), and my Mom (Who still insists on using rotary dial phone, yep you read that right) on how to use this new fangled technology. Also, it has frustrated me to no end that I have to go thru multiple steps to turn on lights. So I am in the planning stage of modifying the system to have Manual Switches available for most lights and functions.

Maybe I don't have to reinvent the wheel ... has anyone modified their OneControl rig to include manual switches? Does anyone have a rig that has factory installed OneControl with accompanying manual switches?

My plan so far is going to be to have RV style switches with a Transfer switch for each switch to give control to either OneControl or to the Manual Switch. (See attached photo for basic switches I will be using for lights)

Have found many schematics online for Lipert components and Forest River tech support has been very helpful in sending some schematics of the basic system setup.

See photo for the OnceControl panel and components that are in my rig

If anyone wants to collaborate, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5151.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	176115   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5152.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	176116  
Tim.little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:19 PM   #2

I am definitely interested in this upgrade! I agree that it's interesting technology, but it's very slow & clunky to do something that (in previous RVs) was fast & simple to complete.

I'm attaching the OneControl schematics for the 2017 3011DS from Lippert.

My driveway is very steep and narrow so I can't really park at home to work on this at the time, but I will be watching from afar.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3011 schematics.pdf (1.63 MB, 221 views)
Old 06-19-2018, 02:33 PM   #3

Amen!!! Hope manufacturers get the message. I they insist on all of the electronic junk, give us the option to use old fashioned switches.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:39 PM   #4

Starting to draft plans

Have gotten several switches, Distribution blocks, fuse block, wiring and connectors. Will start mocking up in near future ... pics to follow.

So far the easiest thing to put switches on will be the the two rear inwall slideouts; the controllers actually have connections to plug in an extend/retract switch.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:32 AM   #5

It is a shame to pay so much money to buy it and then more money to undo all of the junk.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:23 PM   #6

Phase one complete

Installed switches to control lights either manually or using OneControl.

- The small toggle switches select either manual or Onecontrol mode/function.
-- I find I like to use the indoor lights in manual mode, and outdoor lights in Onecontrol mode.

- The large switches are normal RV light switches that match the few switches that are already in the RV

- I built and stained the light switch box to match interior. I installed switch box using piano hinge. Still have original panel in case i want to revert back.

- All the wires are plug in or screwed in, so I can revert back to original configuration in less than 10 minutes, if I wanted to.

- The basic gist of the build is 12V to a Fuse box. The fuse box has wires that go to each light switch. The other side of light switch goes to SPDT mode control switch. The mode control switches also have the Onecontrol light control module terminals connected to it. The output of mode control switches goes to a terminal board I installed (purchased at home depot) and from there the hot side of the various lights are connected.

- The sheer pleasure of being able to hit a switch to turn on/off lights is awesome. Sometimes technology over complicates things
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0024.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	333.8 KB
ID:	182185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0025.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	467.5 KB
ID:	182186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0026.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	354.1 KB
ID:	182187  
Old 08-03-2018, 02:14 PM   #7

You are my hero. This is definitely going on my mod list.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:51 PM   #8

sure seems like a lot of work when you could just run 12v to the line from the controller via a separate switch. Basically two switches in parallel, similar to a 3 way residential light switch.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:34 PM   #9

Thank you all for the great information. I will also be rewiring the one control with switches. I would like to share information. I buy my rv this weekend and hope to begin modifications very soon. I started a thread about this in both Forester blog, and in Appliance and electronics. I am now here and will watch closely what is being done. I am getting a Forester 2291SF and am quite excited.
cactus bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:47 PM   #10

Tim.Little, Could you please state which Forest River rv you have? I am hoping there is a wiring diagram for the Forester 2291S somewhere. Anybody have any wiring diagrams for a 2018 Forester 2291S?
cactus bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.little View Post
Installed switches to control lights either manually or using OneControl.

- The small toggle switches select either manual or Onecontrol mode/function.
-- I find I like to use the indoor lights in manual mode, and outdoor lights in Onecontrol mode.

- The large switches are normal RV light switches that match the few switches that are already in the RV

- I built and stained the light switch box to match interior. I installed switch box using piano hinge. Still have original panel in case i want to revert back.

- All the wires are plug in or screwed in, so I can revert back to original configuration in less than 10 minutes, if I wanted to.

- The basic gist of the build is 12V to a Fuse box. The fuse box has wires that go to each light switch. The other side of light switch goes to SPDT mode control switch. The mode control switches also have the Onecontrol light control module terminals connected to it. The output of mode control switches goes to a terminal board I installed (purchased at home depot) and from there the hot side of the various lights are connected.

- The sheer pleasure of being able to hit a switch to turn on/off lights is awesome. Sometimes technology over complicates things
You've done a very clean and professional looking mod in my opinion.

I like the replacement panel and additional fuses can't hurt.

I haven't gotten as far as you in my thinking but had thought about using one SPDT switch to choose either manual or One Control feeding all of the added RV type switches to certain interior lighting circuits.
I had even thought about the SPDT switch being momentary so I could switch it and turn on the desired lights then let it go and revert back to One Control.

Thank you for sharing your ideas!!

Tags
cat, upgrade