Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #1

Outdoor grille addition

we have Wildwood LE 29BHBS TT. We did not get an outside grille option

we got a grille at CW, "thermos grille to go", recently but havent tried it yet. We were considering adding a tee in the gas line to supply gas from the two 30 lb fixed bottle vs using the small propane bottles

Anyone done this mod and where do think the best place to add a connection would be.

where would be the best location: near the two 30 lb bottles outside of the canopy , or under the awning. I was trying to minimize the gas piping. It has a steel line that runs under the camper supplying stove, refrigerator, water heater, furnace, but doesnt have a spare connection for add on. would this be worth doing or a waste of time and money

please give us some feedback

thanks
Old 05-10-2008, 05:57 PM   #2

I know this may not answer your question, but I carry a 20# propane tank with me for occasional use. I have a "tree" I bought at Wally World that mounts on the tank and you can run three appliances with it at the same time. We have a propane campstove my DW loves to use and we have a propane campfire also. I like the portability of the 20# tank, plus I didn't have to do any plumbing. ( That in itself is a safety issue, with my knowledge of plumbing.)

Reese Strait-Line
Prodigy
DW
DD (Darling Dachshund)
jmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #3

I am thinking along the same lines as you.

where can you store the tank, it probably lasts a long time, if use for cooking, or direct heat.

what appliances to you like to use it for and have been useful

i probably will go this way also but was sure how to safely handle the large LP tank , ie storage, xport. only place i have is either inside car or inside tt.

thanks for your response

hope you have an enjoyable camping season
Old 05-10-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Not to be a wet blanket, but I think you might find that putting a T in the camper gas line will result in you having a low pressure (regulated) gas supply and that this will not work for your grill.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
My Keystone had an outdoor stove with a quick connect coupling. I loved the fold down stove, but the pressure was low. The wind would blow out the flame. (and it took forever to heat something.
Just a thought.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #6

i understand, i agree, connecting downstream from the tt tanks and regulator would result in low pressure, inadequate fuel supply

i think i will use a tank, with tree, or direct couple hose from tank to grille

what is a good tank size, 11, 20 lb sizes

do they make a 4.5 lb size cylinder, i saw something this size mentioned in a comment section of some propane appliances on the CW website, but I havent been able to find this size cylinder

where is best place to get a 11 or 20 lb cylinder. can both these be refilled

thanks
Old 05-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
Grape Escape

Stove connection

If you have RVQ connection you can run any BBQ off it. Just remember to remove regulator if there is one on the BBQ. We run our Porta Chef BBQ or propane campfire with zero problems. I even added a 20'hose to use our fake camp fire
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #8
AKA Bluebird

Your best bet is a 20 lb. tank. They can be purchased from most big box stores that sell gas grills, on line, and from most convenience stores that sell "swap it for a full one" tanks. Therein lies the value of a 20 lb cylinder. You can pick up a full one almost anywhere. Not so with the other sizes - you have to have them refilled. You can then carry one or two 1 lb. cylinders to tide you over in case the 20 lb runs out.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:42 PM   #9

Where do you store your 20 lb tank, strap in trailer or TV for xport

also, for connection, you use a hose that connects directly from 20 lb cyl having no reg to a grille having a reg, correct. I would assume you need a reg at least one place.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:53 AM   #10
AKA Bluebird

Transportation of a gas cylinder can be a problem for some. You have to decide what will work for you. Personally, I strap any tank that I am transporting to a front corner tie-down in the bed of my truck. I know it is extra work but I would rather to what I can to avoid having a loose 40+ pound potentially explosive projectile flopping around in the event of a wreck, sudden stops, acceleration, etc.

All required pressure/flow control devices are incorporated into your grill. This permits the use of screw-in disposable cylinders. Using a 20 lb. cylinder (or whatever size) involves nothing more than using a hose to connect the
stove to the larger cylinder.

You can buy a high pressure hose and an adapter straight from Coleman
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/large.asp?productid=5470A7931T&prodname=5-ft%20(1.52-m)%20High-Pressure%20Propane%20Hose%20%20Adapter
or from Camping World
http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...earch&tcode=11

One further thought - that 20 lb cylinder can serve as a spare for your gas grill at home.

FWIW - I no longer use gas grills when on the road, only at my seasonal site where I have a full size grill and a place to store it. In my case, a good electric gill is more advantageous.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:43 PM   #11
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
I suggest putting the 20 or 30 lb tanks into a milk crate. Much easier to move around, and to keep it in one place. Make sure it's stored upright, and outside your passenger compartments. Ensure the gas outlet has a plastic cover as well.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:52 PM   #12

Excellent input/thanks

phil
Old 05-14-2008, 07:58 AM   #13
Site Team

I use those tank feet sold at CW to transport my cylinders in the bed of the TV. They're very light and prevent the cylinders from tipping over.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:27 AM   #14

Places like Harbor Freight Tool have kits (a hose, valve and fittings) that let you refill the disposible gas cylinders from the larger 20# tanks. This greatly reduces cost of using the small containers -- and save you trash the empty cylinders (which the garbage men refuse to recycle in my area - guess one too many went KABOOM).
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:25 PM   #15

I have a question on LP tank pressures:

I have a TT, has two 30 lb cyl with reg/changeover valve manifold that is connected to std appliances, ie furnace, hw heater, stove, refrig.

quesiton:

LP tank pressure can vary with outside temp; 10-150 psi and then regulated down to 11 in water gage press by the reg/changover valve on tt , correct?

Now my question: small appliances, grilles for example are designed for low pressure operation i guess, since they all seem to have built in reg, having a 1 lb cly inlet to the reg, i assume the output from the reg is about 11 inches of WG pressure, ie low pressure.

with this said, if i got a 20 lb cylinder, i should be able to connect the hose adapter kit from camping world to the unregulated outlet from a 20 lb tank and go into the regulator supplied on the grille and it should work ok, correct? would would the low pressure hose arrangement work for this, or does it have to be a high pressure hose arrangement. btw , what is the definition of low and high pressure

thanks
Old 04-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #16

Outdoor grill

We have the same TT '09 LE 29BHBS with no outside grill. I chose CW's stainless Steel mountable grill and LP Quick connect hose. Waiting on it to ship. Haven't had our TT out yet due to NE Ohio weather (4"-5" of snow) but anxious to go. Thanks for the tip on whether to tap in to existing TT LP line or bring a 20# tank for grilling. The later sounds like the best!
kcalvin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:26 AM   #17
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post
I have a question on LP tank pressures:

I have a TT, has two 30 lb cyl with reg/changeover valve manifold that is connected to std appliances, ie furnace, hw heater, stove, refrig.

quesiton:

LP tank pressure can vary with outside temp; 10-150 psi and then regulated down to 11 in water gage press by the reg/changover valve on tt , correct?

Now my question: small appliances, grilles for example are designed for low pressure operation i guess, since they all seem to have built in reg, having a 1 lb cly inlet to the reg, i assume the output from the reg is about 11 inches of WG pressure, ie low pressure.

with this said, if i got a 20 lb cylinder, i should be able to connect the hose adapter kit from camping world to the unregulated outlet from a 20 lb tank and go into the regulator supplied on the grille and it should work ok, correct? would would the low pressure hose arrangement work for this, or does it have to be a high pressure hose arrangement. btw , what is the definition of low and high pressure

thanks
You can use the hose adapter kit from CW to connect the 20lb bottle to the grille and it will work. It will need to be the one used for propane, high pressure. The built in regulator on the grille will drop the pressure to the correct pressure.

High Pressure: Prior to reducing regulator, Low Pressure after regulator.

Propane is classified High Pressure Gas. Natural Gas is commonly classified as Low Pressure 1/4 lb. unless it's a 2 lb system then it's classified as High Pressure. Both require regulators to reduce pressures to correct operating pressures. Propane 11" Water Column, Natural Gas 3" Water Column based on a U-Tube Manometer.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #18

Thanks for the advice. Since my post, my Olympian grill and LP hose quick connect has come and I think I will buy a 20# tank to use with the grill.
kcalvin57 is offline   Reply With Quote