Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2018, 01:51 AM   #1

Outdoor lighting

Looking for suggestions or inspiration to fix the lack of outdoor lighting. The blue light just isn't cutting it and I was wondering what you all do to resolve this issue. I have also considered removing the furrion mount to add something there, has anyone attempted? Thanks for any help.
j wal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:50 AM   #2

Is this a Furrion strip under the awning??? If so.....look at Amazon...I found a 5/16"x18' wide light strip/waterproof for under 10 bucks.....took about 20 minutes to change it.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:17 AM   #3

Yes I have the blue light under the awning but it does not give sufficient light to be able to do anything a night,, more or less just there to look cool. Also, the spots that I have been to are all back in with fire pits behind the camper so I have absolutely no lighting back there at all. I observed a few tha had spot lights behind their campers but wasn’t sure if anyone tried doing one themselves. Thanks for the reply.
j wal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:47 AM   #4

When planning these things just keep in mind the balance between being able to see and ruining your neighbors experience with bright lights. Not saying that you would do that but I've seen people with total disregard for the fact that people may want to stargaze, sleep, enjoy a fire without headlights and other lighting shining in their face. I tend to go out of my way to try to overcompensate by trying to never use headlights within the sites unless absolutely necessary, and limiting the amount of exterior lighting that will effect other people's site. I recently was at a site where a guy had LEDS strobing colored light, completely tasteless and obnoxious. Other times people are using their high beams to cook or clicking their alarms off and on to get the lights to shine (and chirping). I'm not a confrontational person so I'll usually grin and bare it unless it's really out of line and persistent, but I basically vowed never to be "that guy" and hope people will learn by example.
[/soapbox]
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #5

I agree with you 100% on that. We use a kerosene lamp that provides a nice warm glow for our exterior needs. It should be against the law to leave a porch light on all night as well.
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #6

I have blue under mine handy right around the trailer. Also a white one I use under the canopy so I can where am I walking but not all the time. When it's time for bed, I just close my blinds so other peoples light does not brother me.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #7

I couldn't agree more with the idea of keeping the light pollution to a minimum. Not saying that anyone on here is being rude. To be clear.

Marty
Old 11-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #8
Grammar Pedant

We just use an LED lantern. The quad one from Coleman is great. Love the removable panels. Put this on the shelf and it lights up everything:

Most trailers have the accessory rail and come with a shelf like this (which will hold a lantern quite well):

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:10 PM   #9

Be considerate of your neighbors. Use a flash light to navigate around your site and enjoy the night sky.
Stevejfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:17 PM   #10

I have these;

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000...holder+camping

https://www.amazon.com/CORE-Recharge...+camping&psc=1
Old 11-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevejfy View Post
Be considerate of your neighbors. Use a flash light to navigate around your site and enjoy the night sky.

X2- Task lighting.

I have a couple large coleman propane lanterns we can use around the camper on ground hooks or tables. Generally only use if we have a cornhole game going on after dark.
I have a couple LED flashlights we can use to look for something dropped or to make a trip to the bath house or another friends campsite.
I also have 4 of these.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We really like them because they are LED so the batteries last, they are adjustable by sliding in the top to hid some of the light, they are perfect for a game of cards or board game on a picnic table and because the are easily portable and take almost no storage space.

While I don't expect dark boondocking night skies when I'm in a state park or private campground, It does tend to aggravate me when my neighbor appears to be preparing to use his campsite for a midnight space shuttle launch! As Dad used to say, if you don't need that light on, turn it off!
Old 11-19-2018, 05:34 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
When planning these things just keep in mind the balance between being able to see and ruining your neighbors experience with bright lights. Not saying that you would do that but I've seen people with total disregard for the fact that people may want to stargaze, sleep, enjoy a fire without headlights and other lighting shining in their face. I tend to go out of my way to try to overcompensate by trying to never use headlights within the sites unless absolutely necessary, and limiting the amount of exterior lighting that will effect other people's site. I recently was at a site where a guy had LEDS strobing colored light, completely tasteless and obnoxious. Other times people are using their high beams to cook or clicking their alarms off and on to get the lights to shine (and chirping). I'm not a confrontational person so I'll usually grin and bare it unless it's really out of line and persistent, but I basically vowed never to be "that guy" and hope people will learn by example.
[/soapbox]
I know what you mean about the headlights, but sometimes, it's just unavoidable. With its keyless entry system, my F250 flashes the quad-beam headlights whenever I open the door. Whether I want them to or not. One campsite I felt absolutely terrible because the parking spot for my truck basically aimed the headlights at the neighbour's fire pit. (And no, I couldn't turn the truck around due to the way the roads were laid out.) I felt absolutely terrible every time DW sent me to grab yet another thing out of the truck that she failed to mention before the previous trip 1/2 hour before, and was constantly apologizing to the neighbours.

Back to the OP's question at hand, if you do go with a white strip to replace your blue, consider the 'bug' effect as well. Our fiver came with a bright white strip that I've only used once for like 5 minutes. Turned it on, and had the entire underside of the awning crawling with bugs within minutes. I much prefer my dull yellow/orange porch light we had on the old trailer.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:40 PM   #13
Just as confused as you

I've seen lots of kids and teens wear led headgear, adults seem to be old fashion and carry flashlights or nothing at all.

Sometimes the security guard uses a night vision monocular, but I'm waiting to see someone wear night vision headgear.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, light