Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2020, 04:56 PM   #21

2018 Geo Pro 19FBS Going Solar

Greetings:

By now someone out there should have valid answers and suggestion that can help me.

I recently purchased this 2018 Rockwood Geo Pro 19FBS. This unit does not come with a Solar System. But evidently it is wired or partially wired for Solar. I see a sticker on a wall showing where the Go Power controller should go. Also the Entry port from the panel(s) on the roof.

I need help to better understand what is hiding and or exactly what is there behind the wall paneling. A wiring diagram will be very much appreciated.

I am planing to upgrade once I know if I can make use of any part/component installed at the factory.

My option at this time are:
- A Go Power Kit; Panels and 30A Controller
- Renogy: 2 100W panels + 30A MPPT Controller (The Ultimate)

The Inverter will come along as a different project.

Looking forward to your feedback
bensanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:21 PM   #22

Solar

I have the same unit as you. I bought and installed a 200 watt mono panel and 30amp controller off eBay. The bathroom wall Where the thermostat is, has the wires inside ready to go. What you cut and how you mount the controller is determined by the controller. I have two friends (one with the same geopro) that installed 100 watt pnls and are perfectly satisfied. Mounting the 200 was tight on the roof. I bought some VHB 3m tape but decided the epdm roof would be sketchy so I screwed and sealed. By the way toss the old thermostat in the garbage and by an inexpensive digital one. Much better controls. In my searches GoPower is overpriced Good luck
Masterpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:33 PM   #23

PS

Verify you have two batteries. Mine came with two boxes but only one battery lol so I purchased a second.
Masterpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterpo View Post
I have the same unit as you. I bought and installed a 200 watt mono panel and 30amp controller off eBay. The bathroom wall Where the thermostat is, has the wires inside ready to go. What you cut and how you mount the controller is determined by the controller. I have two friends (one with the same geopro) that installed 100 watt pnls and are perfectly satisfied. Mounting the 200 was tight on the roof. I bought some VHB 3m tape but decided the epdm roof would be sketchy so I screwed and sealed. By the way toss the old thermostat in the garbage and by an inexpensive digital one. Much better controls. In my searches GoPower is overpriced Good luck
--------------
This is just what I needed to know.
A million Thank.

And Yes, same for the Battery.... I will be installing two 6V.
And Yes, I agree about the Thermostat.

QUESTION.....
What controller did you end up using?
Old 05-09-2022, 03:48 PM   #25

I have a 2018 19fbs Geo Pro. I find the wiring from the roof, but not to the battery. I find a red and a black wire attached top and bottom. Do I have to splice into those?
Thanks!
planes48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:08 PM   #26

Modifications and Updates > Outfitting our Geo Pro G19FD with Solar

PLANES48:

Alright, let me see if I got it right.... You found the RED and BLACK 10AWG cables/wires from the roof Solar cables entry MC4 port to where the Solar Controller goes (on the bathroom wall facing the Slide). Is that correct?

If YES, attached the the up/down stud near the cables that come from the roof (behind the paneling) there should be the pair of cables also 10AWG that go to the battery, these will be the OUPUT of the Solar Controler.

Hope the above helps
Old 05-09-2022, 11:00 PM   #27

I appreciate that info, tells me where to look. The cables from the roof are red & white, more like 12-gauge. I'm behind outlet in wall looking towards bathroom. Will check it tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2022, 04:42 PM   #28

Planes48.

The cables from the top and the cables that go down then to the battery are attached to a stud with a Tie down. Originally my 2018 came with a GoPower sticker. When I drill the holes to find the cables I was off slightly. The holes ended up being covered up with the Controller I installed. See the photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200801_091054.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	273026   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200801_135220.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	273027   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200801_161435.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	273028  
Old 05-10-2022, 04:58 PM   #29

I bought used, so no sticker. I will have to do the same with my controller. Is your controller near the slide, or out by the thermostat. I'm sure I have the wires, but haven't been able to pull them free. I will look for the tie-down. Thank you for your help.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:08 PM   #30
Site Team

Moved to the Electrical/Charging Systems/Solar sub-forum.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:31 PM   #31

Planes48.

It is to the Right of the Thermostat.
It gets covered by the Slide when the Slide is fully in.
So am going to say that it is in the middle of that wall.

If you are not in a hurry, I can send you the exact location.
I need drive by the Storage and measure.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:31 PM   #32

That gives me a good idea where it is. Knowing that the wires are tied down helps. I will find that tie-down, be good to go. Thanks again!
Old 05-26-2022, 11:14 PM   #33

By looking on you tube, I looked at the installed GoPro controllers and guesstimated where to look. I cut a hole and found the wires ty-wired to the stud just as you described. I covered the hole with the controller, all wired in now. The hole I cut was 8 1/2" from the outside wall, centered in line with the top of the thermostat. Your info was the key I needed, and I thank you!
Old 09-22-2022, 12:30 PM   #34

Geo Pro 19FD Inverter & Solar question

We just purchased a 2021 Geo Pro 19FD. It has an SAE Solar Port on the right front side. The dealer said the port goes through an inverter and that I don’t need my controller for our portable Renogy solar suitcase. It also has a rooftop solar panel. Don’t want to take the dealers word for it and want to double check that the port does in fact go through an inverter???? Thanks for any help!
Yakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 01:48 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakster View Post
We just purchased a 2021 Geo Pro 19FD. It has an SAE Solar Port on the right front side. The dealer said the port goes through an inverter and that I don’t need my controller for our portable Renogy solar suitcase. It also has a rooftop solar panel. Don’t want to take the dealers word for it and want to double check that the port does in fact go through an inverter???? Thanks for any help!
We’ll, if the dealer said “it goes through an inverter”, he most definitely doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Solar panels must be connected to a solar controller. All of those plugs I’ve ever seen are nothing more than a direct connection to the battery. You’ll need a portable setup with a controller.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 01:57 PM   #36

Thanks Dustman....I already have a controller for my solar suitcase....is there any reason why I can't place the controller before the port on the side of the trailer?
Yakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 02:46 PM   #37

I agree with Dustman. My 2018 does not have the outside solar plug, nor an inverter that I've been able to find. My controller goes directly to the battery.

Tags
solar