Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2020, 04:38 PM   #1

Portable Dehumidifiers

Anyone have experience with using a portable dehumidifier in a Class C motorhome? Kind, brand, size and experience would be appreciated.
2022 FR3 30DS

nuruls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Not sure what you mean by portable dehumidifiers, but do not waste your money on the solid state ones. I did some experiments with them several years ago and they took out a very small amount of moisture ( ie 1-2oz in 24 hrs). I current use a 20pt compressor type in my TT when stored. I ran the drain through the floor so no emptying.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Not sure what you mean by portable dehumidifiers, but do not waste your money on the solid state ones. I did some experiments with them several years ago and they took out a very small amount of moisture ( ie 1-2oz in 24 hrs). I current use a 20pt compressor type in my TT when stored. I ran the drain through the floor so no emptying.
Ditto on the solid or crystal types. I use a Compressor type and set it in the shower with the bucket's hose adapter open. I then leave the gray tank's valve open so I don't have to empty the container all the time.

No more water runs out of the discharge than from an AC system but air inside is as dry as you set the control for.

I found that using a second air circulation fan helped make sure the dehumidifier was keeping ALL the air as dry as possible, even in the far end.

Not in a motor home but in a 27 foot travel trailer for 20 years. When I sold it the interior didn't have any signs of mildew, mold, or musty odor..

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:45 PM   #4

Thanks, can you provide me with a compressor type (model, etc)
2022 FR3 30DS

nuruls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:48 PM   #5

I had one of the electronic, peltier type and although they work, you would be better with a compressor type. The one I have now is a Ivation 14.7 pt/ day unit. It came with a hose if you want to do it that way. The unit consumes 200w or a little under 2a. Has a small footprint
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:49 PM   #6
Site Team

There are many brands, but most are made by less than a handful of companies, just different exterior cabinets. Check you local big box store or membership club. Make sure to check if it has the option for a drain hose in case you want to do that.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote