Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2015, 04:45 PM   #1

Portable Generator Installation

Has anyone seen, done or heard of anyone installing small portable generators in their 5th wheel. Don't know that I actually would do it but I have extra room in the storage space under the over hang. I purchased 2 ef2000is Yamaha generators and was thinking it would be kinda nice to be able to run them while in the closed storage hatch. Obviously I would need to run exhaust and install a couple of fans to keep them cool and maybe even some noise absorbing material to quiet them down even further. Think of a generator quiet box/baffle box but more permanent. Again folks I am just thinking out loud and would like to hear you input and ideas. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rv Storage.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	74435  
zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 04:59 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I am not sure you could make the bay gas tight not to mention fumes from fuel itself. Might be best to leave outside for safety. I have been thinking about a silencing box for my new generator.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:06 PM   #3

Fabricating an exhaust system that does not leak inside the unit would be the biggest challenge. Followed by venting to allow fresh air into the generator compartment. They are air cooled engines and will require good airflow to avoid problems.
For me the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning just isnt worth it.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:41 PM   #4
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenrod View Post
Fabricating an exhaust system that does not leak inside the unit would be the biggest challenge. Followed by venting to allow fresh air into the generator compartment. They are air cooled engines and will require good airflow to avoid problems.
For me the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning just isnt worth it.
Also, would need to create an extended stay type fuel tank, or you'll be doing more lifting and then, if the exhaust isn't a slide together type, another thing to deal with. Or, a pull-out tray. Old dinning room table that has leaves also have stout hardware for runners.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:30 PM   #5

A local band has a utility trailer with portable genny built in. I asked to check it out during a show last fall. The manufacturers simply built an aluminum box sized to fit the generator + about 12" all around. It was all welded joints. Then bolted with gaskets, to the inside of the trailer. The new generator compartment had its own outside door with louvers. The genny exhaust was right at the door, pointing through a hole. No other fans or vents for cooling. The genny was mounted on full travel heavy duty slides. So to service or fuel up, the door was opened, and the whole thing slide out. All connections were flexible cord.

Now, I personally would feel uneasy about running it in the compartment, but would have no problems sliding it out and running it.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:16 PM   #6
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
A local band has a utility trailer with portable genny built in. I asked to check it out during a show last fall. The manufacturers simply built an aluminum box sized to fit the generator + about 12" all around. It was all welded joints. Then bolted with gaskets, to the inside of the trailer. The new generator compartment had its own outside door with louvers. The genny exhaust was right at the door, pointing through a hole. No other fans or vents for cooling. The genny was mounted on full travel heavy duty slides. So to service or fuel up, the door was opened, and the whole thing slide out. All connections were flexible cord.

Now, I personally would feel uneasy about running it in the compartment, but would have no problems sliding it out and running it.
That's the way most race car trailers are.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:11 PM   #7

Oh, I've never seen a race car trailer. Funny thing is my inlaws are big time into Sprint car racing.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:55 AM   #8

We picked up a 3500 watt champion gen at tractor supply just set it in the truck bed , made a cord to reach right above front storage bay, installed a plug ,then ran wire to panel box now we run gen to run front ac while driving ,just be sure to unplug it BEFORE plugging inton shore power

rwehba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:28 PM   #9

I was thinking along those lines as a down and dirty way out for my 2005 Cardinal as I too want to run the generator when on the road in the event that I transport dogs to a show in it. My concern with this is CO infiltration into the trailer still. Right now I'm leaning toward the Kohler LP line because that is what would have been installed in the front compartment. Obviously anything done will require the installation of CO detectors. LP is cleaner burning. I have also been looking closely at the inverter generators but there is still the problem of long run fuel storage and gasoline or diesel fumes both pre and post combustion.

Where is your panel box? Mine is in the rear so I would have to run wire all the way to the front either way I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwehba View Post
We picked up a 3500 watt champion gen at tractor supply just set it in the truck bed , made a cord to reach right above front storage bay, installed a plug ,then ran wire to panel box now we run gen to run front ac while driving ,just be sure to unplug it BEFORE plugging inton shore power

Lana - Copilot / Navigator / CFO
Champ & Fiona 2 ea. Standard Schnauzer Security Detail

mtnpeak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator