Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #21
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsibarra2010 View Post
How much did he charge?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forest River Forums mobile app
Doesn't matter, the OldCoot ain't making them anymore from what I heard.

He will be selling all the attaching hardware in a few weeks and all you will need to do is go to Lowes/Home Depot and get some painter telescoping poles or something similar and make your own.

They will store just like OldCoot's did.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #22

If you could give me a list of hardware I'm sure I could find everything myself. I just have no idea as where to start.

rsibarra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #23
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Thanks for jumping in OC

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forest River Forums mobile app
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
If you could give me a list of hardware I'm sure I could find everything myself. I just have no idea as where to start.

OldCoot has the corner on the upper attaching brackets for now anyway.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #25
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:

Start at any boat supply outlet. Get yourself a mounting bracket for each pole:

Bimini Top Fittings - Nylon Outside Eye End pair - Overton's

Bimini Top Fittings - Nylon 90 Deck Mounts pair - Overton's

Then get a couple poles that will fit onto the end piece. You'll want poles that are collapsable or adjustable.
On mine, I used a couple pin latches and painter's extension poles.
I left the poles yellow for visibility and because I'm to lazy to paint them. I also prefer not to leave them permanently mounted. When I deploy the awning, I simply extend the poles to the proper length and attach with the pins. Then I hook my tie down straps to the loop of the pin latch.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #26
Mod free 5er

That is definitely an alternative, but I prefer stowing them on the awning, I have enough extraneous stuff to stow(or leave behind).
Old 03-22-2014, 06:38 PM   #27
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
That is definitely an alternative, but I prefer stowing them on the awning, I have enough extraneous stuff to stow(or leave behind).
Me too, I love the onboard storage!!!
2021 4 reserved
Old 03-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #28

Great stuff guys. Thanks for all the help. Looks like I just found my next project
Old 03-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Doesn't matter, the OldCoot ain't making them anymore from what I heard.

He will be selling all the attaching hardware in a few weeks and all you will need to do is go to Lowes/Home Depot and get some painter telescoping poles or something similar and make your own.

They will store just like OldCoot's did.
Will you be selling the hardware as a kit with unlimited supply or just what you have in your inventory?
Old 03-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx View Post
Will you be selling the hardware as a kit with unlimited supply or just what you have in your inventory?
I'm hoping to have at least 30-40 sets available. Took a 4'x4' sheet of alum over to have plasma cut yesterday. Won't know exactly how many sets can be "nested" on that size sheet yet. It is 6061 T6 alum that is used to make NASCAR and other race car seats. Definitely not going into business, as I am retired and it's a hobby to help others save their awnings. These are only sold to the members of the FRF group.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:06 AM   #31
Mod free 5er

Just ordered all the hardware for 50 kits. Should have it by the middle to the end of next week. Brackets ???. Stay tuned, will post a thread when the complete kits are ready.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:02 AM   #32

How much will you be charging?

Old 03-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #33
NELA

OC,

DH started polishing our (2) awning pole sets yesterday, then I said "I wonder what they'd look like as brushed aluminum"....TADA! He had a buffing wheel and a brass brush wheel on his ...whatever ya call that thingie with the motor between two wheels.

He started on them around 3:00 and at 8:30 last night he gave up on finishing them....everything but two lower poles (meaning he did 4 outer poles and 2 inner poles) are now a *beautiful* brushed aluminum! I LOVE that look!

He left all the mounting brackets polished.

He set up the buffer on a long side table in his shop, then set up a long cardboard tube (golf club shafts were shipped in it) across the table over support rests for the poles to feed through, then across the brass brush as he hand turned each pole.....painfully slowly. Yeah, he's a perfectionist.

He done good!

My idea came as he put a polished finish set together, then took them apart and I saw minor scratches on the polished finish on the lower pole due to the minimal clearance between the two. With the brushed finish those minor blemishes won't show, AND, if we get a ding or two over the years, he'll just brush it out.

You do awesome work, OC, and we're mighty proud to own two sets of your final production!

P.S. Glad you mentioned the plasma cutting. I was hanging out watching DH in the shop yesterday, picked up one of the upper brackets and said: how does he get this so professional looking??

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #34
Mod free 5er

Quote:
How much will you be charging?

PM was sent.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #35
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
OC,

DH started polishing our (2) awning pole sets yesterday, then I said "I wonder what they'd look like as brushed aluminum"....TADA! He had a buffing wheel and a brass brush wheel on his ...whatever ya call that thingie with the motor between two wheels.

He started on them around 3:00 and at 8:30 last night he gave up on finishing them....everything but two lower poles (meaning he did 4 outer poles and 2 inner poles) are now a *beautiful* brushed aluminum! I LOVE that look!

He left all the mounting brackets polished.

He set up the buffer on a long side table in his shop, then set up a long cardboard tube (golf club shafts were shipped in it) across the table over support rests for the poles to feed through, then across the brass brush as he hand turned each pole.....painfully slowly. Yeah, he's a perfectionist.

He done good!

My idea came as he put a polished finish set together, then took them apart and I saw minor scratches on the polished finish on the lower pole due to the minimal clearance between the two. With the brushed finish those minor blemishes won't show, AND, if we get a ding or two over the years, he'll just brush it out.

You do awesome work, OC, and we're mighty proud to own two sets of your final production!

P.S. Glad you mentioned the plasma cutting. I was hanging out watching DH in the shop yesterday, picked up one of the upper brackets and said: how does he get this so professional looking??
No pics, didn't happen!!!
2021 4 reserved
Old 03-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #36
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
...My idea came as he put a polished finish set together, then took them apart and I saw minor scratches on the polished finish on the lower pole due to the minimal clearance between the two. With the brushed finish those minor blemishes won't show, AND, if we get a ding or two over the years, he'll just brush it out.
When I made my set, the material for the outer poles was a wire brush finish and I polished the inner poles. We like them as it is different.

Post some pictures of yours before you mount them. Other folks might be interested.

BTW, Thanks for the compliments. I do appreciate them. They are a far cry from perfect, but for an old lazy guy, they're not bad.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYE View Post
From OldCoot

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forest River Forums mobile app
Currently, he is not making them anymore

(I know, I JUST missed out on his last shipment)

As for the screw-in anchors, I have a better idea: Back in the day when we needed to secure Little Birds or Kiowas, we had these "claw" tiedowns - basically a three point device that folded up flat that you opened and deployed on the ground by basically throwing it

The hooks in the claw dig into the ground, and you attach the tiedown at the center point with a tiedown hook and ratchet the nylon tiedown tight to the airframe.

The principle was, the more tension, the more the 3 claw points would dig into the ground. Almost impossible to dislodge - even in 100+ MPH winds.

To redeploy, remove tensions from the claw, stomp on the center with your boot and the claw meekly comes out of the ground, auto folds and off you go with almost no footprint evidence.

I was talking to TURBS about this the other day and how I wanted to use this with his tube mod for OC's poles...had NO clue where to get the damn things short of heading up to Night Stalker land "after midnight" )

Well lo and behold, they sell the darn things commercially now - and in a set! All you need after you get these, are TURBS pole plans, and the attachment hardware for the Awning!

Amazon.com: The Claw Tie-Down Anchor: Sports & Outdoors

This is a DIY claw only item - they sell a set with straps, stakes (for added stability out west ), carrying bag and a hammer (don't we all have one of these in our tool bag already?)

$75.00 plus the misc expenses of the poles and attachments brings the project to about $100, and all you have to do is chuck the bag in your basement and go (the OC Pole method stores when the awning retracts)

Oh, and before you ask, OC, TURBS and others have STRONGLY cautioned to NOT just tie the awning down with straps - you need the poles for support in high winds.

One other bit of advice: using awing de-flappers are a good idea as well:
Amazon.com: Camco 42251 Awning De-Flapper Max: Automotive

(Just remember to remove them BEFORE you hit the retract button )
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:00 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Currently, he is not making them anymore

(I know, I JUST missed out on his last shipment)

As for the screw-in anchors, I have a better idea: Back in the day when we needed to secure Little Birds or Kiowas, we had these "claw" tiedowns - basically a three point device that folded up flat that you opened and deployed on the ground by basically throwing it

The hooks in the claw dig into the ground, and you attach the tiedown at the center point with a tiedown hook and ratchet the nylon tiedown tight to the airframe.

The principle was, the more tension, the more the 3 claw points would dig into the ground. Almost impossible to dislodge - even in 100+ MPH winds.

To redeploy, remove tensions from the claw, stomp on the center with your boot and the claw meekly comes out of the ground, auto folds and off you go with almost no footprint evidence.

I was talking to TURBS about this the other day and how I wanted to use this with his tube mod for OC's poles...had NO clue where to get the damn things short of heading up to Night Stalker land "after midnight" )

Well lo and behold, they sell the darn things commercially now - and in a set! All you need after you get these, are TURBS pole plans, and the attachment hardware for the Awning!

Amazon.com: The Claw Tie-Down Anchor: Sports & Outdoors

This is a DIY claw only item - they sell a set with straps, stakes (for added stability out west ), carrying bag and a hammer (don't we all have one of these in our tool bag already?)

$75.00 plus the misc expenses of the poles and attachments brings the project to about $100, and all you have to do is chuck the bag in your basement and go (the OC Pole method stores when the awning retracts)

Oh, and before you ask, OC, TURBS and others have STRONGLY cautioned to NOT just tie the awning down with straps - you need the poles for support in high winds.

One other bit of advice: using awing de-flappers are a good idea as well:
Amazon.com: Camco 42251 Awning De-Flapper Max: Automotive

(Just remember to remove them BEFORE you hit the retract button )
Bad news those de-flappers will not work on power awnings, I had a set with my old manual awning and they work well, but gave them away when I got the power ones. With the old manuals one you didn't need poles either they where built in. Just had to pull the arms out of the lower bracket.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #39
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Bad news those de-flappers will not work on power awnings, I had a set with my old manual awning and they work well, but gave them away when I got the power ones. With the old manuals one you didn't need poles either they where built in. Just had to pull the arms out of the lower bracket.
Did you not see the thread showing how I made them work?
Old 03-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #40

Quote:
Did you not see the thread showing how I made them work?
No I didn't, what thread is it? all I know you do is throw a line over the awning like a you know what... Please repost it so I can see what a genius you are. Is your arm getting tired yet or you back getting sore? Just want to know?...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, power