Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #1

Prelim Report On 1st Trip with Solar

Greetings from somewhat less than sunny (at least this morning)Assateage Island!

I've been using the solar system to charge my bateries since the day I connected my controller (June 18). This trip (left home Wednesaday - today is Sunday) is sthe first real test at camping with the solar.

My first impression is that I'm overwhelmed! I haven't plugged into the grid to charge batteries since the 18th. I was plugged in (at home) but only to support the fridge. I had the 12v converter turned off, so all of my parasite loads and lighting was off of the solar/battery combination. The Rogue controller comes off of "sleep", and starts charging as early as 6:15 AM!

My second impression is that I am greatly under-utilizing the capacity of my system. My little 12V to to 120v convertersaren't big enough to run the microwave, toaster, or the most important RV appliance - the Margaritta maker! So I've been starting the generator for short runs whenever these are needed.

The bugs were miserable the other night, so we came in early and threw a DVD on, and watched a full length movie. After that, lighting, water pump use, parasite loads, etc. I still only registered 465 What hours and 34.5 Amp hours of charging the following morning to get a "full" on the controller and to enter into "float". In fact, I was in "float" for 9 hours, 25 minutes that day, so I was recharged relatively early.

This morning was very overcast and some rain at 6:00AM, so the controller didn't wake-up until almost 8:00AM. But as of now, 10:15AM, it's in MPPT mode, receiving 39.9v, 2.3A, 76w from the panels, and outputting 12.8v at 6.5A. So far today, I've put out 98Wh and 7.8 Ah.

My TT has become the focal point of "can you charge this for me?" with our little camping group. I've charged cameras, rechargable battery packs, and laptops. Right now, this laptop is charging off of a 400W inverter, while my brother-in-laws iPad is charging off of a USB plugged into one of the 12v outlets that I installed.

So there it is... (so far!). I'm keeping a running spreadsheet on the daily data from the controller, which, when the trip is over, I'll gladly share with the solar guru's and junkies that want to look the data over and help me make sense of it. And I've already done some on-line "shopping" for a pure-sine-wave inverter in the 2000 to 2500W range. I've made no decisions, so any suggestions are welcome!

The sun is trying to come out, I'm up to 110Wh and 8.5Ah for the day, so I guess I'll shut-down and enjoy the day!

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #2

BTW - Had one humerous story related to the solar.... Couldn't figure out why my controller shut-down and went to sleep on a beautifully sunny morning, around 9:30AM, without me being at full charge. The controller then woke-up, restarted the chargee cycle, and finished the day without issue.

Spent the better part of that evening reviewing my notes, the data log, and re-reading the manual (for probably the 23rd and 24th time).

THEN it FINALLY struck me! I must have been parked with the panels under the awning at the Flying J, where I got fuel. Because of some traffic congestion, (and a misfit with a Class A that didn't know how/where to park!) I was there about 15 minutes. Enough lack-of-light that the controller went to sleep......

2022 Ford Ranger toad
Old 07-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Man, I have GOT to get me one of those.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
Grumpy Old Member

How big a batter bank are you maintaining with it?

Yeah, Lou, me too. Some serious tech envy going on here.

2012 Windjammer 2008w
2020 RAM 1500
ChrisZazzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #5

The batteries are a pair of 6V golf cart Energizer's, from Sam's Club.
220 Amp hours.

2022 Ford Ranger toad
Old 07-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #6

Well, we got home a couple of hours ago, unloaded what needed unloading, and the panels have "gone to sleep" for the night....

All told, since we left home on June 29 until today, the solar system provided 304.8 Amp Hours and 4111.0 Watt hours of juice. I ran the generator less than 30 minutes the entire trip, and only to use the microwave, the toaster, the Margaritta maker, and once when my wife wanted to run the built-in Dust-Buster vacumm system to get some of the sand out of the trailer...

I've got a spreadsheet with all of my data that i'm now trying to figure out... doesn't all make sense to me, but I'm trying to understand it better. If anyone else wants to take a peak at the data, shoot me a PM with your email, and I'll forward it to you.

2022 Ford Ranger toad
Old 07-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
Anacortesians

It sounds like a 300W panel set up does an excellent job. At the current prices, maybe that was a $1000 investment? Not sure if the payback is worth the hassle unless you're an ardent boondocker.

How well does the system work if it's cloudy and maybe raining and how does ambient temperature affect it, even if it's sunny? It rains a lot round here! We had a nice sunny day today and the temperature staggered all the way to 66 degrees F!
Old 07-10-2011, 11:31 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
It sounds like a 300W panel set up does an excellent job. At the current prices, maybe that was a $1000 investment? Not sure if the payback is worth the hassle unless you're an ardent boondocker.

How well does the system work if it's cloudy and maybe raining and how does ambient temperature affect it, even if it's sunny? It rains a lot round here! We had a nice sunny day today and the temperature staggered all the way to 66 degrees F!
That's the boat I'm in...still flip-flopping over this for my trailer. Everytime I think I have a decision made someone comes along and start to change my mind.

Please do keep us updated on your system.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #9

F and E, I'm quite a bit over your $1000 estimate.

Just the panels (with about $300 in shipping!) plus the controller came to about $1100. Then add combiner boxes, cables, materials for the adjustable mounts, the change-over to all LED lighting, the pair of 6v golf cart batteries, etc. and it pushes the cost skyward! For a very detailed description of my system (and it's costs) look at http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-14096.html.

For me, cost wasn't my primary focus. It's all about the convenience! The convenience of not having to take time from my camping day to tend to a generator to charge batteries while boondocking. While this was only my first time out with the system , thus far, no regrets! In fact, I'll probably be adding to my overall costs, as I"m going to add a pure sine wave inverter, in the 2000 to 3000 watt range, to power my 120v outlets. That may require another pair of batteries, and ideally, a third panel to do all that I'd like it to do, but I'll see what I can do without the extra batteries and panel first. (Big problem with buying a thrid panel is that my supplier will only ship in pairs!)

2022 Ford Ranger toad
Old 07-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
F and E, I'm quite a bit over your $1000 estimate.

Just the panels (with about $300 in shipping!) plus the controller came to about $1100. Then add combiner boxes, cables, materials for the adjustable mounts, the change-over to all LED lighting, the pair of 6v golf cart batteries, etc. and it pushes the cost skyward! For a very detailed description of my system (and it's costs) look at http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-14096.html.

For me, cost wasn't my primary focus. It's all about the convenience! The convenience of not having to take time from my camping day to tend to a generator to charge batteries while boondocking. While this was only my first time out with the system , thus far, no regrets! In fact, I'll probably be adding to my overall costs, as I"m going to add a pure sine wave inverter, in the 2000 to 3000 watt range, to power my 120v outlets. That may require another pair of batteries, and ideally, a third panel to do all that I'd like it to do, but I'll see what I can do without the extra batteries and panel first. (Big problem with buying a thrid panel is that my supplier will only ship in pairs!)
Folks,

I was able to visit with Rick at Assateague and spend time looking at his installation. The link he provided here is where the details are. His install is clean and professional, and very well thought out.

His home made brackets that allow tilting in all 4 directions are simple but elegant. The photos do not make it easy to figure out, but that ingenuity alone was worth the time to visit with him and understand. I will say that a short video would make it clear to all who cannot figure out from the pics, and since being able to get that 4 way tilt adds about 30% of "juice"..it is worth it..
Old 11-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #11

Smile

What does your battery box look like, and where is it on your trailer? I have an XLite 26BH, and have been trying to figure out where to put a battery box.
tzalmaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #12

I replaced my factory battery box with a 12" wide pick-up truck tool-box, Kobalt brand, from Lowe's. I currenly have two batteries, four sets of Linx Levelers, some homemade stabilizer jack pads, a couple of pieces of 4x4, and some other "stuff" in there. I've only gotten into the third Linx kit once, so likely I'll "loose" two of those next season, and that will give me more than enough room for two more batteries.

I had to move the propane tanks forward anout 1.5" for everythning to fit.

2022 Ford Ranger toad
Old 11-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #13

Quote:
I replaced my factory battery box with a 12" wide pick-up truck tool-box, Kobalt brand, from Lowe's. I currenly have two batteries, four sets of Linx Levelers, some homemade stabilizer jack pads, a couple of pieces of 4x4, and some other "stuff" in there. I've only gotten into the third Linx kit once, so likely I'll "loose" two of those next season, and that will give me more than enough room for two more batteries.

I had to move the propane tanks forward anout 1.5" for everythning to fit.
I'm looking at doing the same thing, but I think the box will cover the weight distribution chain receivers on the RV. Do you have a photograph of the box installed? -TM
Old 11-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzalmaves View Post
I'm looking at doing the same thing, but I think the box will cover the weight distribution chain receivers on the RV. Do you have a photograph of the box installed? -TM
Mine would have also been partially in the way of the WD chain clamps, but what I did was to support the entire box with two pieces of 4' long, 1" Uni-strut channel (also from Lowe's). This gave the box support beyond the trailer A-frame, plus it raised it enough that the chain clamps are partially under the box. It's all a tight fit, but it all fits!

My only problem was backing in my driveway, it's such a sharp cut, that the corner of the bumper hit the box, and put a slight dent in the box. I've learned not to cut quite so sharp when backing.

Sorry, no pics of that, and the TT is winterized, covered, and the batteries are in the basement. Nudge me in the Spring and I'll shoot you a pic, if you still need it.

2022 Ford Ranger toad
Old 11-09-2011, 12:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Mine would have also been partially in the way of the WD chain clamps, but what I did was to support the entire box with two pieces of 4' long, 1" Uni-strut channel (also from Lowe's). This gave the box support beyond the trailer A-frame, plus it raised it enough that the chain clamps are partially under the box. It's all a tight fit, but it all fits!

My only problem was backing in my driveway, it's such a sharp cut, that the corner of the bumper hit the box, and put a slight dent in the box. I've learned not to cut quite so sharp when backing.
Is yours this side truck box (4' long and wider at the top)? http://tinyurl.com/cytpss5

What does the cross section of Uni-strut look like?
Old 11-09-2011, 06:56 AM   #16

No, I believe that it's this box: Shop Kobalt Slim Line Full Size 12" Truck Box at Lowes.com

Uni-strut is the U-shaped channel, usually bolted to walls or the underside of roof trusses in commercial buildings, ised to clamp electrical conduit to. Here's what it looks like: 01052011_Unistrut_US

I used the P1000, available at most big-box building materials stores. I just used it as a spacer/stiffener under the aluminum box.

Hope that this helps!

2022 Ford Ranger toad

Tags
solar