Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2016, 07:58 AM   #1

Progressive Industries EMS in Brookstone 395RL

Anyone know the best place to tie this thing in? I haven't had a chance to really look around as I've been working too much, but I've not seen anything obvious yet. Just wondered in anyone has this model of trailer and has done this. Thanks

And yes I've got a message in to Forest River. Waiting on response.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
Tinkerer and Putterer

I do not have your trailer but a good place to start would be to check to see if there is space behind your power panel / fuse box. Installing the unit between your panel and the power relay will protect your electronics from bad shore power and a generator fault. Either might fry the relay but those are only 75.00 and they're designed to fry in an event something goes wrong with the incoming power. I say let it fry and buy another 75.00 relay box if it ever happens. One bonus to this approach is that you can buy 4 foot of 10/2 with ground wire and do all of the work outside of a cramped space and then put the box back behind the panel, screw it in place, hook the new wire up to the panel and put the panel back in place. You can also install the remote pad for the unit right next to the panel with minimal fuss. No cutting and you can revert the vehicle back to its stock configuration should you decide to take the protector with you when you sell / trade your RV.

Whoops, forgot an important detail. If you have 50 amp service then you'll need 10/3 with ground wire instead of 10/2 with ground :-)
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #3

Thanks Happy, That's an option I've thought about but haven't checked it yet. I like the idea of the remote pad there with all the other stuff. And it's a 50 amp.
2016 Brookstone 395RL
Old 03-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #4

For 30amp it should be 8/2 plus ground and for 50amp it should be 6/3 plus ground. 10 gauge is too small. I used appliance wire as it is easier to work with. Can be bought at any home improvement store by the foot.

Eastlake, Ohio
2013 F-350 Turbo Diesel
2016 Heritage Glen 368rlbh
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #5
Tinkerer and Putterer

I won't disagree on going with a larger gauge wire. A larger gauge provides lower resistance, less heat buildup etc etc. Th recommendation to use 10/2 etc came from the install manual and not my personal recommendation. When I performed my install on my Class C the pre-existing wire used was 10/2 with ground. Going larger definitely won't hurt assuming the panel is setup to accept the larger gauge. My panel would not accept the larger gauge.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #6

Well, I looked behind the fuse panel just to check it out. There were approximately 3 million wires back there. I just put the panel back and went into the bunkhouse where there was an air return grill. I took it off and found the wire where it came in from the outside. Installed in in there and it was a CHORE. very limited access. Laying on my right side halfway in. There was plenty of room to mount the EMS, just having to deal with that very heavy stiff wire made it tough. Got it done though and am very happy.
2016 Brookstone 395RL

Tags
roo