Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #1

Quad Steps for Fifthwheels / Travel Trailers

Has anyone had experience with the Stromberg Carlson SM-24-40 Quad Step?

I've been considering a new set of steps for our Sierra 365SAQ. It has three steps now, but the first step is so high off the ground and now that I upgraded to 7K axles with larger wheels, it's even higher.

I've looked closely at three brands / models. The Stromberg Carlson SM-24-40, the Hickory Springs Quad High Riser, and the Elkhart Tool and Die Quadra Step.

The Stromberg seems to be the most expensive, but also seems to be the nicest. I found it at etrailer.com for $295 with free shipping. It's a 4 step radius step with anti slip material installed, it extends down from the camper 28" which is the most I have seen from the three models I researched, and it extends out 37" from the camper.

I am trying to get the bottom step closer to the ground, not necessarily reduce the rise between steps, and I think that's the difference in some of the models.

The Hickory Springs steps extend down 26" and extend out from the camper 34". They are selling from rvstepsplus.com for $190, but an additional$ 36.00 is added for shipping.

Finally I looked at the Elkhart Tool and Die Quadra Step. They extend down 27.25" and out from the camper 43.5" which is a long run. They cost $191.50 from Tweetys.com but add an additional $57 for shipping.

IMO, the Stromberg Carlson steps have the nicest appearance, and they are rated to hold up to 750lbs, which is far more then I would ever need, but I have heard people on the forum talk about one of the others steps I'm comparing starting to break at the 4th step connection and they have been supporting that step. (I don't remember if they were the Hickory Springs or the Elkhart - I think it was the Elkhart though).

Does anyone have an opinion? I have 2 staircases, not sure if I would replace both, or just the main but regardless, I'm looking at $300 bucks. I want to make sure I am making the correct decision.

Thanks for any input you may have.
cmptrkd is offline   Reply With Quote