Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #1

Rack on the back of Grey Wolf 28bh

I have seen some new grey wolfs with a factory installed rack as an option. This was not an option when we purchased ours and now i am hooked on the idea. I know if the frame is modified anyway it voids the warranty. Can these racks be ordered direct from Forest River? if i bought it from them and had it installed would it still void the warranty? i like the idea of being able to put firewood or a couple of kids bikes on the back since we travel in a suburban and do not have anywhere else to put them while traveling.
tigertail34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Probably the best bet is to check with your dealer.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #3

i called them and they told me they did not offer it.
tigertail34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #4

tigertail34:
this is just an idea for you and I hope it helps...I know that dealers don't want people "welding" add-ons to the rear bumper or modifying it in any way or form or it could void your warranty...one thing that I have done on my Grey Wolf is "attach" a 2" receiver...these are NOT welded to the frame they are just bolted on with no drilling required...make sure you check your bumper weight restrictions but most camper bumpers are pretty sturdy...after these receivers are set on any part of your bumper you can attach a cargo carrier basket or cargo carrier plate where you can load whatever you want...the only restriction you will have is the weight you can put on it...most receivers have a limit of 500 lbs on the tongue and a pulling capacity of 3,500 lbs...again CHECK your specifications on your trailer first...but this have been so helpful when for me when I carry big logs and bulks of firewood when we go camping...it also serves as a great place to place big coolers and stuff...hope this helps and let us know...price for the receiver ranges from $40.00 to $100.00 depending on quality...most cargo carriers range between $80.00 to $150.00...again hope this helps...
Interpreter Services NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertail34 View Post
i called them and they told me they did not offer it.
Then I'd call FR and ask them directly.

You are smart to approach this from a warranty issue. Even if you are out of warranty, I do not think its a good idea to alter your frame or attach extra weight to the bumper (safety issues).

My undestanding of the industry in general, is that the trailer's bumper is not able to handle extra weight like this, but maybe Gray wolf is different.
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #6

Interpreter, I hope you didn't just attach that receiver to the sewer tube on the back of your camper? That would be a mistake, as that tube is not meant for any significant weight without major modification.
The frames on the new campers are much thinner, and a whole new structure must be built within the camper frame to support any kind of trailer hitch.
If you put 500 lbs on that receiver hitch and drive any distance, you will bend your frame, or lose your bumper.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #7

I specifically checked with the Grey Wolf manufacturer before doing so...the bumper itself can hold some weight with no damage to it whatsoever, however if I wanted to "pull" something with this bumper then I would have had to make major modifications to the frame to withstand the extra weight...again this is something that was checked with the manufacturer before doing so...
Old 03-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #8

I take that back crocus...I went out and checked on the frame itself and the frame for my GW 26bh has been reinforced previously...the manufacturer checked with the dealer where the camper was purchased from and that is why they had given me the green light to attached the hitch...sorry crocus you are right...most bumpers are made of only 3/32 inch steel and weight like this can tear the whole thing off...so again, the bumper and frame was reinforced to withstand such weight...
Old 03-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #9

Yes, its not that we cannot put hitches on these units, it just has to be done right.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
28bh