Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #1

Re: underbed storage

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum and this my first post so hello to all.

Anyway this is my thought on underbed storage. If you don't mind pouring time and money into it as in the case of struts and cabinet doors and such. Another way to have more storage and a slicker design in general would be to rip out the beds pedestal, where possible and replace it with nightstands, dressers, cabinets or whatever suits you. Simply arrange them in the desired pattern, screw them down, and frame a top over the center which will be open. If arranging the bed into the corner of the room you would have drawers or shelves as provided by the makeshift pedestals on the side and front of the bed with an open area in the corner under the bed. Which can be acceded by raising the bed as usual. If you arrange the bed in the middle of the room with a walkway on each side then you could have an open place in the middle of the side pedestal units which would be accessible from the front, can be covered with curtain, cabinet door, or just left open depending on your preference.

Been thinking about this for quite a while and would like to have some feedback as I don't even have a trailer yet and would like to stand on the shoulders of giants so to speak. I've got my eye on FEMA trailer for my family of six for f/t living, so storage will be very crucial. And some remodeling will definitely be in the works.

Great forum btw
Thx
Jared
Jaredinnwarkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #2

Not sure that I follow the details of your mod w/o seeing a drawing or floorplan but anything is possible. Since you are talking about a FEMA trailer you could even use a standard metal bedframe and use plastic storage bins under the bed. If you want to use cabinets you may check out the Habitat for Humanity RE Store if you have one in your area for low cost materials or furnishings. Also, second hand store. Any chance of adding a drawing and floorplan so you can get more input?

Welcome to the forum by the way.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #3

Sorry. No pics, I'm all iPhone for now. Seems like you get the idea. Just utilize the space under the bed somehow. The nightstands seem like the most appropriate option. Of course you could custom build something from scratch if you wanted.

Alot can be done with the space where a bed is. You can put in a hinged bed and use that open space for a play area in the kids room. Might be cool to have an office space set up so the bed could fold against the wall in the day and lay down on the desk at night.

For my purposes the drawers all around the bed fit the bill best.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredinnwarkansas View Post
You can put in a hinged bed and use that open space for a play area in the kids room. Might be cool to have an office space set up so the bed could fold against the wall in the day and lay down on the desk at night.

For my purposes the drawers all around the bed fit the bill best.
Fold away bed or Murphy bed - definately allows for using floorspace. Plenty of ideas on the internet with this option. We had a bedroom set that had tall cabinets on each side with a headboard storage and shelf and overhead lights. Each unit had drawers below with an open middle for nightstand and top cabinet w/ doors. I will see if I can find any pics.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #5

Sounds like a sweet bedroom suite.

I'm no cabinet maker by any means but am certain I can slap up some built-ins to satisfy my needs. When it comes to minimalist efficient living I'm all about built-ins.

What other nifty built-ins have some of you guys seen?

Tags
bed