Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2017, 07:01 PM   #1

Rear View Camera Monitor?

Has anyone ever hooked up their rear view camera or side cameras to a monitor that would replace the rear view mirror? I'm interested in doing this.
Westbound40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:08 AM   #2

I've only used additional monitors....but I know that Rear View Safety has a bunch of options to do this. Maybe start with a little research here...

Mirror Mounted Rear View Monitors | Rear View Safety
RV_Fan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:30 PM   #3

Ok for anyone who may look at this later. I own a 2017 Forester 3011ds that came equipped with side and back up cameras. They would come on my dash pioneer head unit screen when engaged. I really wanted to be able to see them at all times while driving. After a reply about a company called Rear View Safety. I did some research and purchased a rear view mirror replacement monitor. It's a 7" screen that replaces your useless rear view mirror. It was really easy to install and I even turned my stereo's Sirius XM on while I had the dash apart. If anyone's interested in doing this I would be more than happy to help explain how it's done.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:54 PM   #4

Yup this was a standard feature on the units prior to 2017. The rear view monitor is the way to go. Maybe FR will see it was not a good change and go back to them as standard equipment.

2016 Forester GTS 2801 QSF
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #5

Question More info please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound40 View Post
Ok for anyone who may look at this later. I own a 2017 Forester 3011ds that came equipped with side and back up cameras. They would come on my dash pioneer head unit screen when engaged. I really wanted to be able to see them at all times while driving. After a reply about a company called Rear View Safety. I did some research and purchased a rear view mirror replacement monitor. It's a 7" screen that replaces your useless rear view mirror. It was really easy to install and I even turned my stereo's Sirius XM on while I had the dash apart. If anyone's interested in doing this I would be more than happy to help explain how it's done.
Hi Westbound40. I'll be picking up my new Forester 2801QS soon and this THE first thing I want to do. When I test drove a 2017 Forester in September it had the mirror mounted monitors, you can imagine my disappointment when FR had discontinued it when I ordered mine in October. Looking at Rear View Safety site it looks like there is a cable running from a silver control box to the dash monitor. This would need to be run to the new mirror monitor. But I'm sure it isn't just that easy! So I would really like to hear about your experiences with this project. I am hoping to have my rear view on all the time and the sides when signals are engaged. Thanks.
Dovidas1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:42 AM   #6

It's pretty simple. You will remove that box but be careful you don't disconnect the wires for the mirrors. Mine where connected to that power source. As for my unit it was installed with cameras that had a five pin connection. The quad rear view mirror was equipped with a five pin connection. You will also have to wire the triggers for left,right, and back up camera to activate when triggered. It sounds confusing but just look up online some of the wiring diagrams and can figure it out. Feel free to ask any more questions!
Old 03-01-2017, 10:20 PM   #7

My simple solution was to purchase a a ESI Cam

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its magnet is great and stays sturdy on my MH bumper. It wireless connects to your cell phone. I then just use two elastics to hold my cell phone on the rear view mirror. I then take the camera off when we get to the site and use it as a security cam as needed.

No wires, camera only cost $250.00 and works better with less lag then most wired options. Plus you have the camera for other uses.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #8

That is a great camera for blind side backing as well. I have a furrion but would use this as well. I am stealing your rubber band idea as well. Thanks for the helpful post!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:56 PM   #9

Finally ordered my monitor

Quote:
It's pretty simple. You will remove that box but be careful you don't disconnect the wires for the mirrors. Mine where connected to that power source. As for my unit it was installed with cameras that had a five pin connection. The quad rear view mirror was equipped with a five pin connection. You will also have to wire the triggers for left,right, and back up camera to activate when triggered. It sounds confusing but just look up online some of the wiring diagrams and can figure it out. Feel free to ask any more questions!
HI Westbound, I Drove my Forester home and you can not see ANYTHING on the radio screen unless there is no sun. I ordered my monitor today (ask for veterans discount) and will soon be installing it. I am assuming I'll have to pop the dash panel loose to get at the cables. Is there enough extra cable to reach the new monitor? The pretty way would be to go around the windshield but I'm open to doing a straight up run. Printed out the installation instructions and it looks pretty simple, just pull the cable from the radio and hook it to the monitor cable, but....Any tips on potential "gotcha" tricks? I got the single view monitor so that should be easier than the multiplex monitor.
Dovidas1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:16 AM   #10

The cable is long enough. When disconnecting the old cords make sure you don't disconnect any cords that you may need that use that as a power source like mine did. It's pretty simple please IM me if you need help. One Veteran to another I would love to help.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Has anyone ever hooked up their rear view camera or side cameras to a monitor that would replace the rear view mirror?.
We recently replaced the otherwise useless factory rearview mirror in our 2020 Forester 3011 DS with a full-time 7" monitor, and couldn't be happier.

While the brands mentioned earlier in this thread come highly regarded, they seemed pricey. With a little bit of searching, we found the Vardsafe VS799 7 Inch Replacement Rear View Mirror Monitor for sale at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Vardsafe-Repl...tronics&sr=1-1

...and even a much better deal at NewEgg:

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=Vardsa...+RCA+Connector

...where we acquired the monitor for less than a quarter of what me might have paid for more mainstream brands. Frankly, we can't tell the difference!

IMPORTANT TIP: If you are replacing an existing mirror, insist on this *replacement* model, which attaches directly to the OEM mounting bracket affixed to your windshield, for a very sanitary mount. It is not a clip-over of the existing mirror style, which in our opinion always draws attention and looks tacky. This Vardsafe replacement-style monitor looks factory installed and works superbly. Wiring (under the Ford E450 dash) was easy. We have it always on/off with the ignition, using the RV's existing rearview camera. The left-and-right turn signal actuated side cameras remain on the entertainment head unit when activated.

This is a simple low cost mod that will pay countless rewards, and that you will never regret.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brian View Post
We recently replaced the otherwise useless factory rearview mirror in our 2020 Forester 3011 DS with a full-time 7" monitor, and couldn't be happier.

While the brands mentioned earlier in this thread come highly regarded, they seemed pricey. With a little bit of searching, we found the Vardsafe VS799 7 Inch Replacement Rear View Mirror Monitor for sale at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Vardsafe-Repl...tronics&sr=1-1

...and even a much better deal at NewEgg:

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=Vardsa...+RCA+Connector

...where we acquired the monitor for less than a quarter of what me might have paid for more mainstream brands. Frankly, we can't tell the difference!

IMPORTANT TIP: If you are replacing an existing mirror, insist on this *replacement* model, which attaches directly to the OEM mounting bracket affixed to your windshield, for a very sanitary mount. It is not a clip-over of the existing mirror style, which in our opinion always draws attention and looks tacky. This Vardsafe replacement-style monitor looks factory installed and works superbly. Wiring (under the Ford E450 dash) was easy. We have it always on/off with the ignition, using the RV's existing rearview camera. The left-and-right turn signal actuated side cameras remain on the entertainment head unit when activated.

This is a simple low cost mod that will pay countless rewards, and that you will never regret.
I was just about to do this same thing. How / wher did you route wires for power and video. I was going to remove video from switch box to mirror replacement monitor, leave side cams on radio
C5er is offline   Reply With Quote