RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-29-2020, 08:44 AM   #1

Question Remove Murphy Rockwood 2507S

So now that we have lived with our 2507S for a while, we hate the Murphy bed. We have considered trading for a model without one but will get killed trading so soon (2019).

We are contemplating removing the U dinette and installing theater seating and
converting the murphy bed to a "normal" bed, eliminating the sofa beneath as well. We want the finished product to look good and ideally be able to be converted back to original for trade/ resale.

There are so many things we really like about this unit, bathroom, storage, great outdoor kitchen and more. It's hard to find it all in something else, on top of the depreciation hit if we did find something.

Anybody done it?

Thank You
jimsheila1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:04 AM   #2

Hello,
I have not done this, we avoided a murphy bed when buying our trailer. I can attest to having a couch (or theater seating) as being a plus. We dont miss the dinette at all.

I wouldnt worry about the ability to change it back for resale unless you only plan to keep it for a year or so. I think a well thought out and executed modification would be welcomed to someone buying the unit in the future.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:35 AM   #3

We had the 2504S (liked it so much we purchased 2 - 2015 and 2018). And you are correct, unless you can sell it outright, trade in will crush you if you have a loan on the unit.

But that isnt the point of my reply. For our 2504S, if the murphy bed was down, the slide wouldnt be able to come in. I am not intimately familiar with your floor plan, but keep the slide operation in mind. If the bed needs to be "up" for the slide, you wont be able to make a permanent bed (unless you turn the bed sideways). Never measured it out, but I'm not sure if there is enough room to have a queen side to side like that (with regard to slide operation). The nightstands on each side of the bed/sofa would likely need to be removed as well, and then that may interfere with the pass through storage underneath. I believe it is all possible, but there are some obstacles that will need to be considered. Hopefully it all works out for you the way you want it

Old 06-29-2020, 09:23 PM   #4

The slide cannot close on a 2507S with the bed down.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #5

Thank You

Thanks for the responses.

I would have to address closing the slide with either a flip up section at the end of the bed or possibly the head of the bed can go further forward in the trailer allowing it to clear. Not sure I have the stomach for such a project anyway but we are thinking about it
jimsheila1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:34 AM   #6

If you're that unhappy with the trailer, I'd consider eating the depreciation and buying one with a bedroom. You may do better on resale than you think because of the high demand due to COVID. That means the next one will also have a higher price, though.

I do agree that the storage on a 2507S (I have one) is pretty nice. The 2511S looks pretty nice on paper but it lacks the outside kitchen, if that's important to you.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:32 PM   #7

Smile Measurement help

Hi, we are purchasing a 2507 and need a measurement. Just wondering if you can help. Need the length fro inside of the slide (when extended) to the kitchen counter (where the extension piece attaches). Any chance you would be able to get that for me? Thanks
LynnMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:49 PM   #8

Any chance you can give me a measurement from the inside of the slide when extended to the cupboard; looking to put a hide-a-bed in as replacement of dinette and need to know if it will fit. Thanks!
LynnMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:30 AM   #9

Murphy Bed Memories (nightmares)

Our first MiniLite had a Murphy.

At the dealer we thought, wow, pretty cool.

At home, replaced torture mattress with a good mattress, that made it "better", but, up down, up down with the bed got old quick and bed up, lost front window view.

Oh, and then there was the sofa, properly named only they should not have shortened the title.

The proper name is, sofa...
king uncomfortable.

Sorry, just our opinion. We hated it.

Got rid of the trlr because of it.

But that's just us...

Go theater seats and get a good mattress not a foam topper on the factory heated torture slab.
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6CatDaddy View Post
At home, replaced torture mattress with a good mattress, that made it "better", but, up down, up down with the bed got old quick and bed up, lost front window view.
Since we donít own one, I never thought of this. So, when the bed is up and youíre using the sofa the window is blocked, but with the bed down and you typically close all the shades, the window is exposed? That sounds like a pretty dumb design.

Tags
rockwood